• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission shifting issues....again. Help!

To those that really understand a TF, can band adjustment be responsible for higher 2-3 shift point when hot? (I'd think not, and that is more about line pressures and/or old leaky seals.)

As I posted earlier, the front band is one of two elements that work together to engage 2nd gear.... If 2nd gear were slipping a band adjustment might help... But second gear isn't slipping, it's third gear thats not engaging...

The rear band is for engine braking in first gear and for reverse... It has zero effect on high gear... Well If it failed in such a way that the band stayed engaged it would effect high gear but thats not whats happening here either... The chart I posted earlier explains allot if you take the time to grasp what it is showing...

The Trans-x might just do it, but you better figure on rebuild/new trans within the next year. Like others have said- 727's are easy to rebuild.

As others have mentioned, typically folks use/choose a local shop to rebuild the trans... For a professional it's a one or two day job...

B&M & TCI both build fine transmissions if your going racing... I doubt you need that...

I was having the same shifting problems with my 1969 Super Bee, 383/auto. Sometimes it would shift fine, other times it would hang up in a gear and not want to shift to the next gear. I thought a rebuild was in the works. I had to remove the carb to lift the motor to replace motor mounts and during the reassembly I found the return spring for the kick down linkage was missing. That spring keeps the linkage pulled forward. Without the spring the linkage would float around about half way to the rear, simulating a desire to kick down. I installed a spring and everything was great. It shifted like a new transmission. It would be great if your problem is this easy to fix. It's the shiny spring in the picture.
IMG_5917.JPG
IMG_5915.JPG

Brian

There are a couple threads on Abodies for newbies doing a rebuild. It's really not that hard!

Auto Transport Service
Back