• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission snap ring???

inri

Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys I have not been able to install the Gear Vendor housing onto the 727 smallblock. Well technically I did once but then i realized that the transmission arm was not properly seated in the housing because it wouldn't shift so I unbolted the housing and attempted again. Unfortunately, I got pissed off because I couldn't get (2) separate snap ring pliers to open up the snap ring that goes over the bearing.
After 1.5 hours I decided to remove the housing and rip out the snap ring and bend it!! So now I need a new one but don't know where to get it and if there is a one size fits all??
The snap ring didn't have anywhere to really grab onto it and just kept on slipping and slipping and on and on.... Is there a special tool or special pair of snap ring pliers specifically for this? I swear I'm cursed with this little detail.
Anyway I now need a snap ring to open up and slide over the transmission bearing to seat itself.

Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about the snap ring located under the transmission mount? Yes they make snap ring pliers with flat jaws that can be bought at most auto parts stores.

Are you talking about the snap ring located under the transmission mount? Yes they make snap ring pliers with flat jaws that can be bought at most auto parts stores.

Yes I am talking about that snap ring. I guess I should have checked an auto store instead of buying one online and at lowes.
What is the correct name of the snap ring?
When I called Oreillys they told me they didint have it but they had a front and rear trans seal. Also is there more than 1 size for a 727 block ?
Thank you.

Call John Cope at Cope Racing Transmissions and he will get you straight. Doubtful you can find it in stock locally.

Trans parts online. Any local rebuilder. I can check Monday when I'm back from racing. I may have one. Let me know then if you haven't found one.
Doug

The snap ring itself is something you'll likely have a tough time finding locally like threefold mentioned. Not sure what the snap ring pliers were called? The ones I bought were fairly large with flat pads vs round tips for this type of application.

I've got quite a few of those-new. Back in the old days the dealership I worked at only stocked complete overhaul kits (Mopar) so I saved everything I didn't need for rebuilding/repairing the transmission I was working on at the time. I have lots of small parts and about 20 complete torqueflites in stock (many BB 727).
Mike

I've got quite a few of those-new. Back in the old days the dealership I worked at only stocked complete overhaul kits (Mopar) so I saved everything I didn't need for rebuilding/repairing the transmission I was working on at the time. I have lots of small parts and about 20 complete torqueflites in stock (many BB 727).
Mike
Mike,

If its isn't too much too ask can you upload a pic of the part? If its the same I'd like to buy one from you if you're selling.
Thank you.

Lock ring pliers are what you are looking for. The flat surfaces help grip that lock ring properly. Some are too wide at the tip and need to be ground thinner, but this is basically what it looks like.
Screenshot_20180608-104112.png

any wholesale tansmission parts store that sells to rebuilders should have those rings

Thanks Bob. I'll check my auto parts store first for those pliers, and then look online if I can't find the locally.

Mike,

If its isn't too much too ask can you upload a pic of the part? If its the same I'd like to buy one from you if you're selling.
Thank you.

Is this the ring? If not I have all the others. I have found this ring needs a pliers that can open very wide to expand it. I have 2 different MAC brand pliers but only the red ones will work on these rings.
Mike
IMG_1909.JPG

Is this the ring? If not I have all the others. I have found this ring needs a pliers that can open very wide to expand it. I have 2 different MAC brand pliers but only the red ones will work on these rings.
MikeView attachment 614341
Holy smokes Mike thats alot of rings!!!
Those appear to be just like the one that came out of the transmission housing.
I picked up a pair of snap ring pliers (reverse) at O'reilly's and it appears they will open the ring wide enough to work. They are very much like the photo in Bobzilla's post above.
Now I just need a ring...
I will buy one from you if you're open to selling one.
Thanks in advance.

Auto Transport Service
Back