• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec TKX 5-Speed Conversion

After some scrounging I came across an amc forum, with some helpful pics. Apparently sst makes a javelin/amx/etc tkx kit. Im not sure about the input shaft and such but it looks like the custom shifter may be right on the money. The back half of the rear shifter may still need to be shaved and capped but this is way closer than anything i've found so far!

Screenshot_20240102-003124_Chrome.jpg

20210516_192553.jpg

20210508_092742~2.jpg

Unfortunately I think that's about the same as the Impala/Bel Air shifter & will interfere with the crossmember...

The Mopar B body shifter is further forward...

20231021_143520.jpg

Possibly, nothing is certain and when the op sends some close up pics and maybe a couple measurements for reference we can find out. This is my car from underneath without a drivetrain. The shifter hole is literally just infront of the crossmember. Screenshot_20240101-233218_Gallery.jpg

Here's the finished product in stages.

After cutting the shifter hole I laid the carpet down for a test fit. I was a little worried that the small doghouse Greg fabb'ed to clear the trans would pull the carpet up at the sides. It still fit fine with plenty of material laying over the door sill. The trim ring isn't bolted down yet. At this point I decided to finally paint the buddy seat brackets. The interior was originally saddle tan and brackets stand out. I want to reinstall the buddy seat, but the XV seat belt receptacles dogleg in towards the hump and get in the way of the seat.
20231230_112051.jpg20231230_112135.jpg
Front carpet is out while the brackets are painted. I had some leftover padded insulation that I stuck between the Fat Mat and the carpet.
20231230_125842.jpg
Passenger side first. I bought the fire extinguisher at Spring Fling a few years ago and the salesman threw in an additional hold down bracket. The Dart's been setup for years, now the Coronet. This gives a better view of the XV seat belt receptacles.
20231231_144044.jpg
Installing the door sills can be a pain. The passenger side has two hold down screws, one at each end, in addition to the four screws on the sill. The driver's side has an additional screw in the middle.
The front screw holds down the sill and the kick panel. Pro tip: kick panels install before the door sills.
20240101_155421.jpg
I cut away the carpet for the center screw
20240101_155345.jpg
The hole for the rear screw is the hardest to find; it's between the forks. I just jammed the screw into the carpet and fished around until the it found the hole.
20240101_155514.jpg
All done. I can't stop staring at the pistol grip. I already talked about the low end grunt and combined with the look, this is it. Just waiting for the weather to clear to start putting on some miles.
20240101_162334.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Damn that looks good. I would even rock that without a console!

On four speeds I've always liked no console... It just collects junk anyway... And they rattle... Just a shifter is a clean "Means business" look..

On four speeds I've always liked no console... It just collects junk anyway... And they rattle... Just a shifter is a clean "Means business" look..
Haha something we completely agree on! Here's mine before i got the seats recovered.

20240102_234320.jpg

Just as you're done, the rain comes....

01 face 18.jpg

01 face 45.JPG

1 troll zzx.jpg

Sunday is supposed to be dry.... I hope so....

Weather was nice on Sunday so we took the Coronet for a cruise. Took it on the local freeway for about 10 miles. First time its been in 5th gear more than a couple of seconds.
We were cruising at 74 mph @ ~2,200 rpm. With the 727 it was over 3,500. An absolute pleasure to drive.
Maria took a short video while coming into town.

Weather was nice on Sunday so we took the Coronet for a cruise. Took it on the local freeway for about 10 miles. First time its been in 5th gear more than a couple of seconds.
We were cruising at 74 mph @ ~2,200 rpm. With the 727 it was over 3,500. An absolute pleasure to drive.
Maria took a short video while coming into town.

I am glad you are happy with your car and the investment. The overdrive really makes these cars so nice to drive on the highway.

As you might recall in 2015 on our drive across country, my 833 OD unit was having some issues by the time we left it at your house. When I got the car home I threw the standard 833 into it, and I realized how much I was now spoiled with the OD transmission - I couldn't stand driving my car on the highway without it!

Once you go overdrive you'll never go back!

I am glad you are happy with your car and the investment. The overdrive really makes these cars so nice to drive on the highway.

As you might recall in 2015 on our drive across country, my 833 OD unit was having some issues by the time we left it at your house. When I got the car home I threw the standard 833 into it, and I realized how much I was now spoiled with the OD transmission - I couldn't stand driving my car on the highway without it!

Once you go overdrive you'll never want to go back!
Fixed it for you..

@CoronetDarter
You're selling the 727??
Are you SURE you don't want to keep it in case this Tremec eventually makes the car a pain in the *** to drive?

01 funny 8.jpg

the TKO shifts so smoothly i sometimes think i’m driving an automatic :p

the TKX probably another level of smoothness :thumbsup:

watermelon

I think one advantage of the TKX might be the shift quality at higher RPMs. I didn't drive Rich's car to see.
In mine, at over 6000, it feels like there is a blocking plate over the shift gate that suddenly moves aside once the rpms drop enough. It doesn't grind or make any noise, it just won't slip into gear. This is with 2nd gear. 2nd to 3rd at 6000 rpms maybe but I don't remember. My 440/495 maybe shouldn't rev that high anyway despite ported heads, a big cam and 2" headers or doesn't need to since it may actually peak in HP below 6000.
I can't help it though...when the engine is gaining RPM so fast, it feels like it just wants to keep pulling.
Rich has a stock stroke 440 which may be different.

I think one advantage of the TKX might be the shift quality at higher RPMs. I didn't drive Rich's car to see.
In mine, at over 6000, it feels like there is a blocking plate over the shift gate that suddenly moves aside once the rpms drop enough. It doesn't grind or make any noise, it just won't slip into gear. This is with 2nd gear. 2nd to 3rd at 6000 rpms maybe but I don't remember. My 440/495 maybe shouldn't rev that high anyway despite ported heads, a big cam and 2" headers or doesn't need to since it may actually peak in HP below 6000.
I can't help it though...when the engine is gaining RPM so fast, it feels like it just wants to keep pulling.
Rich has a stock stroke 440 which may be different.
When the weather clears we'll have to swap cars and take them for a ride.

Auto Transport Service
Back