• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec TKX 5-Speed Conversion

i have read this and kern dogs thread on the auto to manual conversion. i am putting a tkx into a 68 charger. i am in the process of putting in the patch panel. the car was console auto and i was planning on simply replacing auto top plate with manual. the question i have is how does the boot sst provided fit into the manual cut out on top plate. since there is no lower boot to seal the hole where the shifter comes thru the only thing to seal it is the boot they give you. it appears the boot would just stick thru the hole in manual plate. i believe the original boot attaches to top plate for a finished look. does anyone have some pictures of how this looks in their console. if it just sticks thru the top plate seems i need to make sure the patch to cover hole is tall enough to make it fit into top plate. it also seems like with the boot unattached to top plate it provides a good place for things to get dropped in there only to disappear lol. any insight appreciated.

IMG_4392.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg

i ended up using some sound deadening around the tower area of the shifter underneath the console

did not use the supplied boot from the kit as that was for non-console cars

for the plate i did source a fresh boot from year one i think

watermelon

it’s interesting my shift connection is different than anyone’s even other tkx transmission. pic below. is the sound deadner what you used to seal water out of the hole cut for the shifter? the boot they provided barely fit over my shifter mechanism and required stretching to reach the tunnel patch. i guess it makes sense it’s for non console cars but they specifically ask all that info when i ordered so why send it? anyway not important i guess. so i wonder what they intended people with a console to seal the shift hole with?? i’m planning on calling them but there so much good experience with this on the site thought id also ask here.
i am thinking of using the console boot to seal water out and use factory boot on top attached to top plate for looks. not sure that will work but as low as the patch and shifter sits in console i think it might.

img_4530.jpg
img_4531.jpg
img_4524.jpg
img_4528.jpg

IMG_4394.jpeg

google 1968 console shift some good example pics pop up

here’s one from our site

looks like you do not use the one you have but need only the plate boot. finish up the patch work and keep on moving. might be best to start up your own thread

watermelon

I was planning on buying a cheap boot off Amazon and let it live under my console. I'm curious if someone has a better idea.
1000001806.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back