• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec TKX 5 speed vs. A-833 4 speed....

Wide ratio 833 with a 2.94 gives almost the exact same 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear as a Passon OD with a 3.55, and 3rd gear is more aggressive in the wide ratio. Main thing the Passon gives is the extra strength, along with making an existing sporty axle gear more manageable.
You wrote “almost”.
I didn’t think the Passon transmission had the steep drop from 1st to 2nd.
The 833 OD GOES FROM 3.09 to 1.67. That is a terrible drop.

You wrote “almost”.
I didn’t think the Passon transmission had the steep drop from 1st to 2nd.
The 833 OD GOES FROM 3.09 to 1.67. That is a terrible drop.
I was referring to the wide ratio, not the OD.

3.09-1.92-1.40-1 (38% to 2nd, 27% to 3rd, 29% to 4th)
VS
2.66-1.59-1-.8 (40% drop to 2nd, 37% to 3rd, 20 to 4th) for the Passon 4 speed.

Assuming 27" tires, shifting at 6k, a 2.92 gear behind the wide ratio, 3.55 for the Passon, that works out to the following speeds.

53, 86, 118, 165, with a 2500rpm 70mph cruise
51, 85, 136, 170, 2450rpm at 70mph

The Passon 5 speed is a whole different ballgame, both in performance and price

Last edited:
Is the cost between the 833 and Tremec relatively close? I have the need to upgrade the 23 spline due to power, and if I stuck with Mopar, I am estimating the following costs- your opinion/thoughts appreciated - clutch( Dual Disc $785), bellhousing ($500), flywheel (11" $400), hyd TO( $650). Add a 18 spline box ($1800?) and the labor to rebuild($1000) and i am approaching $5k
TKO with all of above items and a driveshaft will run about $5700; and a few more hours in labor due to tunnel location change (currently a 4 speed, non console car so no need for new pedals, but have to move the hump)

Am I missing something here? If this is the case, spending the extra grand or so for a new 5 speed makes logical sense. Yes I know about Passon 5 speed, but prefer not to wait years.

Is the cost between the 833 and Tremec relatively close? I have the need to upgrade the 23 spline due to power, and if I stuck with Mopar, I am estimating the following costs- your opinion/thoughts appreciated - clutch( Dual Disc $785), bellhousing ($500), flywheel (11" $400), hyd TO( $650). Add a 18 spline box ($1800?) and the labor to rebuild($1000) and i am approaching $5k
TKO with all of above items and a driveshaft will run about $5700; and a few more hours in labor due to tunnel location change (currently a 4 speed, non console car so no need for new pedals, but have to move the hump)

Am I missing something here? If this is the case, spending the extra grand or so for a new 5 speed makes logical sense. Yes I know about Passon 5 speed, but prefer not to wait years.
I agree with that. I have a 833od. Has the big drop 1-2 shift, it's weak/time bomb behind 440.
How would I fix this?
I'm not giving up OD.
Swap my internals for Passion OD innards I think they are ~$2000, and only has a .8something overdrive 80%of 3-3500 is not enough to cruise all day IMO.
Wait for the Passion 5 speed?......no car is running now, I need it to not to become a project.
The Tremec is the smartest choice.
- Now!
- Strength for longevity.
- You can't take the money with you.

I went with American Powertrain and have no regrets. Now that I have the TKX sorted, I'm glad I didn't go with an auto.

I made a lot upgrades at once, so it has taken me a little while to everything sorted. I took the car out this past weekend and it's so much fun! My 360 was kinda' boring powering through a tired A-904 (2.45 1st gear) with a 2.94 rear. Now that I have the TKX (2.87 1st gear) with a 3.55 Sure Grip rear, the car is downright rowdy!

I also upgraded from cast iron exhaust manifolds to full-length headers and added a AFR meter. Tuning the carb with the AFR meter is the final piece of the puzzle. [Well actually, I still need to get my pinion angle set right, but I'm almost there! The shims should be here this week so I should have that sorted this weekend.] My new shift lever has the shifter working ideally for me and the carb tune makes it easier to manage the clutch.

Auto Transport Service
Back