• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trick Flow 240 vs Stealth heads

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
Say a guy has a 451 that dyno's 530 hp and 535 ft.lbs. with ootb 440 Source Stealth heads that are advertised as flowing 260 cfm. If the only change is installing a set of ootb Trick Flow 240's and longer pushrods, what can be expected for a performance gain since the TF's are advertised as flowing 330 cfm?

Depends on how the engine is built with cam, rpms, etc. I don't have a total apple to apple comparison but I have used both the 440 source and TF 240 heads.

440 source heads
440 .030 over 10.5: 1
Mopar .590 cam
TTI 2" headers

TF 240 heads
440 .040 over 10.9:1
Mopar .557 cam
TTI 1 3/4" headers and than Hooker 2" headers

I ran each of these combos for several years with everything else the same in the car, same carb, intake, convertor, etc. Overall the 440 with TF 240 heads were a solid 2 tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile.

If your cam cannot use the extra airflow of the TF heads, and depending on the cc of both, may see nothing at all.

I agree that the cam has a lot to do with the difference in cyl heads. Mismatched and it could actually hurt performance. ruffcut

This is what I have right now. I am going to redo the motor and just trying to figure out if the Trick Flows would give me much more power if I stay with a 451.
400 block, 451 stroker kit from 440 source .042 over -12 dish .039 head gaskets, 9.7:1 compression ratio, Performer RPM intake, ootb Stealth heads, Racer Brown HFT cam, Harland Sharp rockers 1.6 intake 1.5 exhaust, Quick Fuel 850 mech secondaries, TTI 1 7/8 headers.

20221001_182847.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a 451 built by Muscle Motors using 440 Source heads that they CNC'd. Of course dyno's can all be different. I did my 496 on this premise but used hydraulic roller and had Muscle Motors do my heads. 610/670 hp/tq at the crank. Possibly have them work your heads that you already have. They give the flow numbers in the article.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...ysler-383-big-block-mopar-for-the-masses/amp/

Chrysler 383 Big-Block - Mopar For The Masses

Found this interesting in that article

4. With the COMP hydraulic flat-tappet camshaft and double-roller timing set in position, Muscle Motors technicians degreed the cam at a 106-degree installed centerline. Although the cam is ground on a 110-degree LSA, the additional four degrees of advance further enhances low-end torque.

I run that same cam in my 383/432 installed at the 110 centerline
Edelbrock E Street 75cc Heads

Anyways

Last edited:
I am going to redo the motor and just trying to figure out if the Trick Flows would give me much more power if I stay with a 451.

I think it would be a worthwhile gain if your induction and exhaust can support it.

They would slightly bump compression. The cfm gains don't come with a huge port volume increase so wouldn't worry about your displacement being too small for the head.

Personally I would go solid roller with more duration (or at least SFT with more duration)..... but don't know what your goal is.

Did my 451 with TF240 worked over the heads so they work really nice I specked a nice SFT that I had Howards cut it Eddy RPM intake QFT and got great results, Pushed my 4200# 79 Magnum into solid 11:60's and fun to drive with power brakes as well
Capture.JPG

Did my 451 with TF240 worked over the heads so they work really nice I specked a nice SFT that I had Howards cut it Eddy RPM intake QFT and got great results, Pushed my 4200# 79 Magnum into solid 11:60's and fun to drive with power brakes as well View attachment 1361175
Very nice output.
Willing to share the cam specs and compression ratio?

Did my 451 with TF240 worked over the heads so they work really nice I specked a nice SFT that I had Howards cut it Eddy RPM intake QFT and got great results, Pushed my 4200# 79 Magnum into solid 11:60's and fun to drive with power brakes as well View attachment 1361175
Very nice. Compression ratio, cam specs, pistons, a quench?

If your cam cannot use the extra airflow of the TF heads, and depending on the cc of both, may see nothing at all.
This will more likely be the case.
I agree that the cam has a lot to do with the difference in cyl heads. Mismatched and it could actually hurt performance. ruffcut
It would have to be extreme, the above is not. But could actually prove itself factual. Seems that I agree and disagreed at the same time doesn’t it. Read on below…

Say a guy has a 451 that dyno's 530 hp and 535 ft.lbs. with ootb 440 Source Stealth heads that are advertised as flowing 260 cfm. If the only change is installing a set of ootb Trick Flow 240's and longer pushrods, what can be expected for a performance gain since the TF's are advertised as flowing 330 cfm?
Your comparing top flow points between the two heads. This is a bad way to look at it. Unless your lifting the valve that high up. What you need to look at is the flow numbers at equal valve lift between the heads and the cc size of the ports between the heads.

If you can list the flow values of each head and there port cc mount, a better guesstimate can be made. Often, an increase, if not to large, in size and flow will increase the power output. I’m not sure purchasing the heads will result in enough of a power increase to call it worth it. Of course, reselling the old heads for “Cash Back” into your pocket would make the purchase price hurt a lot less. It might be worth the hassle $$ wise, but it is a lot of work for what could be only a little juice for a lot of squeezing.

It’s worth the look.

cam is a 244 248 112 108 11.0 comp and it's a softened chamber
Nice job. Everything in that motor must be jelling together. Those are crazy #'s for a 451.

Engine masters did a comparison test of four bbm heads, 906 (or 452) stealth, rpm and TF 240. Sorry, don't have access right now so I can't tell you which episode. If memory serves, (it might not, lol) each improved head made about twenty horses more than the previous. I think they saw 40hp more with the 240s over the stealth.

Engine masters did a comparison test of four bbm heads, 906 (or 452) stealth, rpm and TF 240. Sorry, don't have access right now so I can't tell you which episode. If memory serves, (it might not, lol) each improved head made about twenty horses more than the previous. I think they saw 40hp more with the 240s over the stealth.
Season 6 episode 16 called “The wedge Head Shootout!!”

With that, if built very similarly, he could expect the same/similar. Now to figure out the dollar expense.

Nice job. Everything in that motor must be jelling together. Those are crazy #'s for a 451.
One thing I would like to say in order to possibly help out my fellow Mopar enthusiasts, Possibly someone can benefit and I hope you do, Performance with the TF240 heads picked up when I smoothened out the ribs from the cnc porting, the sf600 was steady as a rock after doing that, flow picked up by about 5cfm. Prior to the turbulence was quit a bit and all over the place. I seen debates on this and theory might say otherwise. In practice it's different. great Builders such as Dwayne, Bruce Toth, Larry Smith, IQ for example that port heads don't put ribs back, Pro Stock. Super Stock Pro mods etc.. do not have these. They are there due to keeping costs down to deliver product to end user Yes I roughed up the intake side and polished the exhaust. It helped enough to mention. Hope it helps y'all out.

Auto Transport Service
Back