• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trim clips etc prior to paint

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, wanted to gain some insight on things I should plan to have in place with respect to clips etc prior to paint ie during body work. I know this is a pretty open question but its kinda meant to be so I can make a check list. Something like “Things to do prior to paint”.

Any insight appreciated……

Thanks MF

The more you strip the car down prior to painting the easier it is to sand, clean, mask, and paint.
Mike

Moulding clips and a paint gasket kit is a good idea also.

1654771909890.png

Kinda depends on how far you’re going. If you are stripping the car to a rolling shell and removing all the panels, doors, etc, then you probably want to remove everything- clips included. If you’re doing work with the car still assembled, then I don’t think it matters - unless you have rust and rot around those area where you need to remove stuff to repair. Every situation is unique IMO.

I agree with what is posted. If you are doing a color-change then much more should be removed and the jamb work is a lot more critical. If you are just going for a re-paint external, the more you take off the better and the quality will show. Personally, if it isn't welded on, I take it off if at all possible.

RGAZ

If I follow your question, want all that off the car prior to paint-prep and painting, as Mike posted. There will likely be areas of rusted metal in/around the clips that will come back to haunt you later on if those areas are not prepped/coated. Remove and bag clips, screws, gaskets, seals, etc. and label them; careful as I’ve tired to be still encountered some hassles here. Any broken or in sad shape time to hunt those down and order those is while all the work is being done. Could be some of this won’t be quick to locate. Then, come time to install all that back it’s careful and patient time to avoid scratching the new paint job.

ThNks guys but I guess I wasn’t clear on what I was asking. The car is completely striped of all clips everywhere everything. What I am assking is as I prep is there any clips or things that I should put in prior to shooting. Just starting the body work.

91301A7D-EC92-4D60-9B67-B2B8B5F18435.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing I can think of offhaand.

I wouldn’t. You want to coat all that bare metal before putting anything back on

Thanks thats what I figured but the reassurance helps move through unknown places!

An important step that is often over looked is,
After body fill and work done, MAKE SURE ALL THE TRIM HOLES ARE OPENED UP TO ORIGINAL SIZE .
The Las thing you want is to find out none of your trim clips fit after it's been painted!!!

Break out a drill bit now, not at the end!

An important step that is often over looked is,
After body fill and work done, MAKE SURE ALL THE TRIM HOLES ARE OPENED UP TO ORIGINAL SIZE .
The Las thing you want is to find out none of your trim clips fit after it's been painted!!!

Break out a drill bit now, not at the end!
Thank you!

Auto Transport Service
Back