• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trips or quads?

sunger

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
My "new" 1969 GTX shoulld arrive next weekend, and sometime during the next 6 or so months I would like to change the single 4 barrel to trips or quads. I have always been under the impression that trips are more for show than performance, and the quads are the big power producers.
I am leaning towards the dual quads, but was wondering if anyone makes an air filter system that will fit quads and the air grabber that is on the car. I don't want to give that system up.
Thanks

Attachments

• 000_0277.jpg
    000_0277.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 489
  • 000_0280.jpg
    000_0280.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 476
This is just my 2 cents. The trips and dual quads are both for show. A single 4bbl is all you need.

pic of the dueces on my 69 r/t. the car has the ramcharger fresh air stuff so the '70 air cleaner, linkage and stuff all work. if your car has the fresh air package than the 6bbl with a '70 air filter is a bolt on. as far as performance goes the car ran ran 14.01-99mph pure stock, 3.23 rear. automatic. same set up with 6-pak got down to 13.13-106mph. so much for multi-carb is for show.

pic of an edelbrock ch28 and carbs with some extra things i've fabbed. this would probably be a nice street/street-strip set-up. less expensive than a 6bbl but should perform well.

Attachments

• 100_0087.jpg
    100_0087.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 284
TRIPS are for chevys. SIX PACKS and SIX BARRELS are for MOPARS.

How about fuel injection? Power, high coolness factor, better drivability, better gas mileage.

I got dual quads on my 66 Charger with 383...stock cast iron intake...I had to make my own baseplate to fit the carbs so a Fram CA127 stock air filter would fit. Also I still retain the stock air cleaner top as well...nobody knows that there are 2 4bbls under there unless they look close

Those pictures are nice! They both look great, and I was surprised about the performance improvement with the SIX-PACK. Sorry about the lack of proper verbage Duke. My last muscle car was a 68 Corvette 427...with that 3 carb. thing. Before that it was a 66 Fairlane GT that had an single 850. I had a 68 Mercury that I put quads on once a long time ago. I never bought an air filter for it though because I loved the sound they made when I hit the gas. I liked it until one day when they caught on fire, then I really wished I had an air filter. But they looked good.

I understand what you are saying Greg, but the multi carbs just look so impressive to me.

Hey, I have a 440 Six Barrel. If it wasn't an original V-code car, I would go with a throttle body fuel injection. Being it is a factory 3x2 car, I get a natural high every time I take off the air cleaner and gaze upon the wonder that Holley, Edelbrock, and Ma Mopar made. :headbang:

A friend of mine has a 6 pack setup on his 70 Challenger. The car is heavy with power windows and the like and runs mid 11's with it and it's a very streetable package. The car comes off the line very well with just the center carb opening up and then the outboards tip in. The best running 2x4 setups I've seen were on high rise intakes and the CH28 intake doesn't fall into the high rise category...

Flip a coin, it's that easy. I've used both and like them both. But for appearence it's the trips.

If gas mileage is a concern I would run the six pack, since it will only run off the center two barrel unless you put your foot into it. dual fours makes more sense to me ( 1 barrel for each cylinder). This high compression dual 4 383 is going in my 68 dart soon.

Attachments

• 383-5.JPG
    383-5.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 383-6.JPG
    383-6.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 383-7.JPG
    383-7.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 217
If gas mileage is a concern I would run the six pack, since it will only run off the center two barrel unless you put your foot into it. dual fours makes more sense to me ( 1 barrel for each cylinder). This high compression dual 4 383 is going in my 68 dart soon.

A four barrel runs off just the primary two barrels unless you put your foot in it - shouldn't make any difference.

A four barrel runs off just the primary two barrels unless you put your foot in it - shouldn't make any difference.

That would all depend on how you have the linkage set up, but then again I guess it would be for the six pac as well. My 2x4's will open simultaneously. But gas millage is not a concern.

Auto Transport Service
Back