• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk lock troubles.

Terry Kitzman

Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
When I first purchased my 66 The trunk wouldn't open, I crawled thru the back and got it open. Then I took the lock to a locksmith, And he couldn't match it. I never have been able to find an original, So I bought the Chinese replacement most venders sell and found a way to mount it. It worked great for about a week. Now I can't even get my key to turn in the lock. I've tried all the ideas I could think of with no luck. My back seat access is locked with the latches on the trunk side. Any Ideas on how to get in without damage?

Then I took the lock to a locksmith, And he couldn't match it.

My best advice to you is, find a more competent locksmith that knows their stuff! I can't believe you posted that!
I can't help with the other issues. Show me a locksmith that can't match a key to a lock, and I'll show you a moronic, completely stupid idiot! Good Luck

Try some oil on the key and into the tumblers.
If I get a chance I'll look at mine and see if I can get the inside panel open. Never tried it.

Might not be on the mark; but if the deck lid is not set properly, creating a lot of pressure, the key latch plate may be stuck on its latch assembly I reckon you've tried pushing down on the lid or perhaps with the help of a friend? I had this issue with my Plymouth and readjusted the latch...I'd get rid of the china setup and find an OEM or repop.

Might not be on the mark; but if the deck lid is not set properly, creating a lot of pressure, the key latch plate may be stuck on its latch assembly I reckon you've tried pushing down on the lid or perhaps with the help of a friend? I had this issue with my Plymouth and readjusted the latch...I'd get rid of the china setup and find an OEM or repop.
It's set just right, It worked freely for a while now it won't turn at all.

Ok, there’s some diff btw the key turning in the lock with no engagement and where the lock is under pressure or jammed where the key won’t move the locking plate. Sometimes could be the linkage snap pin let go separating the hook up. Doesn’t sound like the case. Guess I’d play gently with the key to try to turn it by inserting the key into the lock with some pressure and then backing it out just a bit and trying it again. Could be the placement of the key in the lock and how it was cut could be the gremlin since it ‘worked’ before.

Ok, there’s some diff btw the key turning in the lock with no engagement and where the lock is under pressure or jammed where the key won’t move the locking plate. Sometimes could be the linkage snap pin let go separating the hook up. Doesn’t sound like the case. Guess I’d play gently with the key to try to turn it by inserting the key into the lock with some pressure and then backing it out just a bit and trying it again. Could be the placement of the key in the lock and how it was cut could be the gremlin since it ‘worked’ before.
All it takes is one dry pin and it won’t unlock which is why I suggested the WD-40.

Spray WD-40 in the key opening, put the key in and gently work it left and right.
And lean on the trunk lid when you do that, you might just surprise yourself! Good Luck
It's set just right, It worked freely for a while now it won't turn at all.

And you know this by how? Things do shift and move without your knowing it! Have you ever thought of that? But you know best!

I got it figured out, I just put on the bumper prior to the lock problem, I had the bumper up to high and the key was hitting the bumper lightly. I lowered the bumper and It now works fine.

So why can’t you remove the back seat again?

It's obvious you are not familiar with 1st generation Chargers. There isn't a back seat -- there are two back seats. And neither of them are attached to the rear panel that separates the interior from the trunk.

It's obvious you are not familiar with 1st generation Chargers. There isn't a back seat -- there are two back seats. And neither of them are attached to the rear panel that separates the interior from the trunk.
To answer the question,
Yes you can remove the back seats.
It's just not fun, and won't help.

When I first purchased my 66 The trunk wouldn't open, I crawled thru the back and got it open. Then I took the lock to a locksmith, And he couldn't match it. I never have been able to find an original, So I bought the Chinese replacement most venders sell and found a way to mount it. It worked great for about a week. Now I can't even get my key to turn in the lock. I've tried all the ideas I could think of with no luck. My back seat access is locked with the latches on the trunk side. Any Ideas on how to get in without damage?
If you are interested in an original, I think when I was getting parts off of some 66 Chargers one had a key in the trunk lock. I am going back soon and can check if it works.

Auto Transport Service
Back