• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk mat and cardboard liner problems...Help please! 63SF

Geff McCarthy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
My car came with no trunk trim. I have bought both the cardboard trim, and rubber mat. From the attached photos, you can see they are close, but maybe not completely correct for this 63 SF convertible. So:
1. There is no cardboard panel to hide the trunk-seat space, in which the rain collector hangs. I might use the upturned part of the mat, as i tried to illustrate.
2. The purpose of the flat panel on the back of the side trim is not clear. It folds, and has a glue strip, covered, that will affix it...but to what?
3. Does the flat part of the bottom of the gray cardboard fold in, or out into the space at the side?
4. I plan to trim the mat to fit exactly at the sides, and put the trim over the edge of the mat.
5. I need 4 of the S shaped hangers for the side trim. I can't find any obvious place that they hang on, or into. Do they go over, or under, the trunk seal?
6. I already searched this forum, and looked at some well-appointed trunks, but none seemed standard.
Any help greatly appreciated, especially a source for the S hangars!

IMG_8111.JPG IMG_8112.JPG IMG_8113.JPG IMG_8114.JPG IMG_8116.JPG IMG_8117.JPG IMG_8118.JPG

My car came with no trunk trim. I have bought both the cardboard trim, and rubber mat. From the attached photos, you can see they are close, but maybe not completely correct for this 63 SF convertible. So:
1. There is no cardboard panel to hide the trunk-seat space, in which the rain collector hangs. I might use the upturned part of the mat, as i tried to illustrate.
2. The purpose of the flat panel on the back of the side trim is not clear. It folds, and has a glue strip, covered, that will affix it...but to what?
3. Does the flat part of the bottom of the gray cardboard fold in, or out into the space at the side?
4. I plan to trim the mat to fit exactly at the sides, and put the trim over the edge of the mat.
5. I need 4 of the S shaped hangers for the side trim. I can't find any obvious place that they hang on, or into. Do they go over, or under, the trunk seal?
6. I already searched this forum, and looked at some well-appointed trunks, but none seemed standard.
Any help greatly appreciated, especially a source for the S hangars!

View attachment 1022713 View attachment 1022714 View attachment 1022715 View attachment 1022716 View attachment 1022717 View attachment 1022718 View attachment 1022719
I just took the rear seat out from my '63 Polara in order to service the convertible top pump. The seat back (springs) exposed to the trunk area. I know that hardtops had a "cardboard divider" that hung on the seat hooks before mounting the seat. Did the convertibles also have something like that? Now's the time for me to take care of it. A picture or detailed description would really be appreciated.
Thanks
John

Yes I think there is a vertical cardboard panel. Why converter what comes out of the paint shop in one month, and I can’t see more than one I install my cardboard liners

Wow! What a beautiful '63. If I had that car and he had a feather up his ---, we'd both be tickled.
I have another question regarding the convertible top pump reservoir. The previous owner teplaced the pump assembly, cylinders and lines. I ran cycled the top a few times and one of the lines blew off of the T at the pump. I repaired and refilled with ATF, cycled a few times to bleed. Works well. I have not replaced the fill plug because I know that there must be a vent somewhere, and I can't find one. I know that must be why the line blew off.

I repaired mine by replacing one leaking hydraulic ram, and filled it, and reinstalled the fill plug. Works fine, tho you can see some bubbles in the lines.

Auto Transport Service
Back