• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying for some cheap steelies.

SteveSS

Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
I shooting for something cheap for the new 1970 Coronet 500. It has drums on all four corners. Right now it has some crusty steel 14 with awful tires that were just meant to hold air and allow the car to roll. I talked to a guy that put on some 15 x 10 rear and 15 x 7 front with 275 /60 rear cop wheels and 235/60 front and they look good. Not sure where he got them.

I was at my local pull and pay yesterday and you can't swing a cat without seeing stacks of wheels everywhere. These are all modern wheels of course. It got me wondering if there is some modern large car/van/truck wheel that will work on this '70 Coronet? Steel or aluminum.
I'm sure this has been asked before but I know there is more to it than just diameter and lug spacing. The offset confuses me mostly.

Here is a shitload of Road Wheels for sale in Colorado.
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/wto/d/pueblo-mopar-magnum-wheels-or-road/7436481902.html

00l0l_cxYwc8QwZLZz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

5 X 4.5 Bolt Pattern Measurement and Specifications

measure-5-lug-bolt-pattern.png
The 5 X 4.5 Bolt Pattern or Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) is made up of the stud count (5) and the bolt circle measurement (4.5), the notional circle determined by the center position of the studs.

Equivalent Bolt Pattern: 5 X 114.3

How To Measure 5 Lug Bolt Patterns
bolt-pattern-gauge.png
Measure 5 lug wheel bolt patterns from the outside edge to center distance between two studs that are across the hub from each other. This measurement is your bolt pattern diameter. Learn more about wheel dimensions.

Alternate 5 Lug Bolt Pattern Measurement
5-lug-bolt-pattern-alternate-measurement.png

Alternate 5 Lug Measurement: 2 5/8" Center to Center = 5 X 4.5 Bolt Pattern.

What Vehicles Use Wheels With 5 X 4.5 Bolt Pattern?
The 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern is common to FORD, MAZDA, LEXUS, TOYOTA, MERCURY, MITSUBISHI, HONDA, DODGE, NISSAN, ACURA, CHRYSLER, INFINITI and other vehicles. A full list of vehicle makes and models appears below.

5 X 4.5 is generally thought of as the 'Ford Bolt Pattern', or passenger car bolt pattern, and is a very common bolt pattern found on travel trailers and utility trailers. More about trailer wheels...

5 X 4.5 Bolt Pattern Torque Sequence Specifications: 1, 3, 5, 2, 4

Torque-Sequence-5-Lug-Wheel.png
Note: Alloy wheels should always be installed using a torque wrench ensuring proper mount. Check your vehicle owner manual for proper specifications. General recommendations by stud size in Ft/Lbs: 12mm = 70-80, 7/16 = 55-65, 1/2 = 75-85, 14mm = 85-95, 9/16 = 95-115, 5/8 = 135-145

It is prudent to re-torque wheels after about 60 to 90 miles (100km to 150km) of driving. Learn more about lug nuts and torque.

Hub Center Bore and Offset
5 X 4.5 Hub Center Bore ~ 5 X 4.5 Wheel Offset

Wheels, Spacers and Adapters
5 X 4.5 Wheel Spacers ~ Adapters ~ Wheels

Last edited:
I use a crown Vic wheel as a spare on a 70 b body, I'm sure there are millions of steel wheels from them in your local junkyard.

Modern/late model.Tho from the late 80's the Dodge Diplomat/Chrysler rear wheel drive cars came with 15x7 with the correct 4 1/4'' backspace. Ran them and still do on many of my cars.Once cheap are now in the $25-$50 range each.
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_2773.jpg
These were 15x6 front and 15x7 rear.

I use a crown Vic wheel as a spare on a 70 b body, I'm sure there are millions of steel wheels from them in your local junkyard.
Have you checked to make sure the wheel will actually work on your Mopar? My experience is that the Ford center holes area bit too small. That holds the wheel off from the hub just a little bit and makes the lugs work loose quickly. I nearly lost a wheel on one of my Coronets due to this once. Learned a valuable lesson.

I have several sets myself and have widen a few pairs for the rear.

70RTSE1.jpg

20210530_123448.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back