• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to clean my chunk

joe smith

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Purchased a ford "N" 9" and trying to "soak" it to clean it up.... Been a while and it seems like solvent has gone from $39 for 5 gallons to $139????

So I was going to soak it in a home depot bucket full of Diesel for a month or so... Again been a long time and the bucket is too small?.. Thought it fit " years ago "??

Does anybody make a slightly larger bucket that would work for this? I looked at some crates and it would take 20 gallons to do what 3 would do in a "bucket"...

No shop or solvent tank anymore so trying to make this work....
Ty

I buy my engine oil in the 5 gal pails and I find that they are just slightly larger then your regular store bought empty pails. Or maybe make a container out of plywood and 2x4's then line it with HD 6mm plastic sheeting?

Here’s what i soaked my parts in
F0EE76FF-8313-4E04-A4E4-53073C3009F7.jpeg

Diesel fuel mixed with some motor oil is what I use to soak some parts. Also a empty 5 gallon metal can of racing fuel will probably fit it. It's a little bigger around than a plastic bucket.

Buckets that swimming pool chlorine comes in are different sizes. The 6.5 gallon size is pretty much the same diameter all the way down as the regular 5 gallon ones but the 12 gallon ones are bigger diameter at the bottom on up. 4-5 gallons should be all you need in the 12 gallon to cover the chunk.

Try shopping Tractor Supply for buckets or feeder pans and tubs. They have lots of different sizes. They sell solvent too.

Oven cleaner does wonders for cleaning but do not do it inside!!!

I use the buckets i got laundry soap in ,from costco. Hold an 8 3/4 or a nine. The soap now comes in a rectangular bucket. Good car wash bucket, useless for chunk cleaning.

Any grade of ATF is a very high detergent product. Cleans everything including spots in a cement driveway.

Auto Transport Service
Back