• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI alignment issues

Frankb

Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
Installing 3" TTI system in 68 Charger. Working from back to forward. All went well until installing X pipe to header adapters. One side lines up good (drivers) but passenger side is about 2 inches off. No matter how I reposition the X pipe, mufflers, ect, I can't get the adapter to align with the header flange. I know there is left and right side and confirmed correct. Anyone ever run into this issue? Also it looks like the header to X pipe adapters should only go in one way - there's more clearance between car and adapter if orientated one way. Does this make a difference??

When your paying what tti gets your entitled to perfect fit send them a picture and expect a replacement your entitled too it my opinion and I would have started from front just my opinion

Last edited:
yep start from front thats the way to go

TTI is a good fit probably the best but there’s still some tweaking to be done sometimes. I agree with snake for the money they get they should make it right.

The instructions say to start from the rear. I'll be contacting them on Monday. ust curious if anyone else ran into this.
Thanks

I had the same problem with one of their H pipe kits years ago. Started from the front then tried the rear and couldn't get the drivers side to line up. I took it to the local muffler shop to have the left part of h pipe bent out toward left rear tire an inch and then all was well. Yeah should've been better but I'll try another kit for this project.

I had the same problem with one of their H pipe kits years ago. Started from the front then tried the rear and couldn't get the drivers side to line up. I took it to the local muffler shop to have the left part of h pipe bent out toward left rear tire an inch and then all was well. Yeah should've been better but I'll try another kit for this project.
I had exactly the same thing happen. Right side was good and left side took a tweek. Mine was pointing the muffler down hill about 3 inches at the outlet. I always start at the front and get the mufflers hanging where they should be. The get the tailpipes and tips in position. Going from the rear did not make much sense to me.

I have a set of TTI hemi headers and the collector flange on the left side was pointing toward the ground.
Didn’t notice this until they were installed in the car so I cut the flange off the adapter and welded it back on to
correct the pipe connection otherwise I would have ran in to trouble with the TTI exhaust. I say all that to say
TTI does the best job on making headers and exhaust to fit our mopars but they ain’t perfect.

If I charged a customer double for something, and it wasn't perfect, I'd be outta business in a week.

Installed HP manifolds with accurate exhaust system, no hassle. I know headers are cool, but a pain. Not judging.

Installing 3" TTI system in 68 Charger. Working from back to forward. All went well until installing X pipe to header adapters. One side lines up good (drivers) but passenger side is about 2 inches off. No matter how I reposition the X pipe, mufflers, ect, I can't get the adapter to align with the header flange. I know there is left and right side and confirmed correct. Anyone ever run into this issue? Also it looks like the header to X pipe adapters should only go in one way - there's more clearance between car and adapter if orientated one way. Does this make a difference??
Do you have TTI headers? I did a 3" system on my 65 Dodge with out TTI headers. Needed to lengthen crossover on H-pipe. Moved mufflers a little closer together but manageable . Note the headers aren't where factory/TTI headers come past crossmember.
1965 Dodge 011.JPG

Helped a buddy with a 2.5 system couple years back. Started from the front. Couldn't get tailpipe on. Read the instructions. Install rear to front. Fit like a glove.

I have the 3 inch on a 65 B body. I had to install front to back and did it single handed. It fit like a glove. Doing it from the rear was impossible. But keep everything loose until its all aligned. I also suggest you don't use their clamps. Use the type that summit sells that don't deform the pipe. If will make pulling the system apart a lot easier.

Got it in. Took everything apart from mufflers forward and reinstalled. It went together like it was made to go together. Only thing I id becides remove/reinstall was to clock the passenger side header collector.Thanks for your input.
Frank

EX1.jpg

EX3.jpg

EX5.jpg

EX9.jpg

EX14.jpg

EX15.jpg

Same issue with my right side 3 inch TTI H pipe that bolts to my TTI headers. The right side pipe heads towards my drive shaft. Left side pipe and headers are perfect fit. Plan to bring to muffler shop later this summer. For the price paid I expected better.

If thats a shifter cable you might want the look at heat shield options or re-route the cable.....

EX5.jpg

Yeah that's on the to fix list. Didn't think it would be that close when I originally installed the shifter. Thanks
Frank

Helped a buddy with a 2.5 system couple years back. Started from the front. Couldn't get tailpipe on. Read the instructions. Install rear to front. Fit like a glove.
So you put the headers on last?

Auto Transport Service
Back