• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tuning Help

emonster6x

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
Anybody in Central Florida that I can call to talk about my stubborn 440 that won't tune?

If so, please PM me with a number to call or I will give you mine.

I really need some help here....

Thanx.

Why don't you post some of your current problems here, and have a larger base of information given to you. That would be my best answer.

Tuning Problem

Well, I put a Thumpr cam in my otherwise stock 440, with a holley 750, and I was driving it for a while, then now it won't run so good, specifically it won't time right. I have it at about 18 initial with about 35 total timing BUT as soon as you hook the vacumn back to the distributor it climbs and then starts backfiring and then dies!

I have tried over and over again to time it. It won't idle below 2000 or so.

This is killing me!

Any ideas?

Thanx

Dan Devork?? He's in FL someplace. I have the same issue here in NC - need someone really good at tuning RB motors.

What kind of distibutor do you have? Could it be that the distibutor is going bad because it runs until you hook the vaccum back up which causes the car to miss. Might want to see if someone down there can lend you one to swap. Also look at the choke on the carb. I had a similar problem when I put my car under load (second gear) and bad missfires. Found out my problem was a bad engine wiring harness.

Good luck let us know.

Just thought of something check to see if their is any dirt in the dist cap, rotor or base Metal shavings on magnetic dist cause problems or dirt blocking the light signal. might cause this too

Stock ignition system? points fried? Voltage reg smoked? Ballast red hot?

How does it run with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged?
Maybe the vacuum advance can is defective and causing a vacuum leak.

Dan Devork?? He's in FL someplace. I have the same issue here in NC - need someone really good at tuning RB motors.

North Carolina Tuners? How About Petty Enterprises in Level Cross Or John Arruzza High Performance In Pittsboro, Herb McCandless And "Bullet" Bob Reed In North Carolina And Hensley Performance & Allen Johnson Racing In Tennesse? You Have Some Of The Greatest Mopar Tuners Anywhere In The South!

With the issues you are having,I would use a timing light and a vacume gauge and see what's going on:icon_bounce:

Boy, 18 degrees is a bunch of initial. Does the Holley have a timed vac port for the distributor? If not, and you add vacumn (though the Thumper doesn't provide a lot) you have at least 20-21 degrees of initial. That's just too much. Surprised it even cranks over.

North Carolina Tuners? How About Petty Enterprises in Level Cross Or John Arruzza High Performance In Pittsboro, Herb McCandless And "Bullet" Bob Reed In North Carolina And Hensley Performance & Allen Johnson Racing In Tennesse? You Have Some Of The Greatest Mopar Tuners Anywhere In The South!

I should have said in my area as opposed to NC in general. The Petty Garage is the closest at about 85 miles from me. Didn't know they work on tuning for individuals (or the others for that matter). I thought they were just building cars up there. They have a car show at the garage this coming Saturday so maybe I'll take it up for the show and see what I can find out. I've been emailing with a fellow up in Burlington that goes by Dr. Mopar. Had thought about trying him...

Did a little checking, Petty's garage only does "project" work, not tune ups. Arruzza's shop only works on hemis ........ still looking for a good wedge tuner in NC (or northern SC)

Auto Transport Service
Back