• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal cancel cam problem

loemerich

Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
I replaced my turn signal cancel cam with a new one (the old one would wouldn't stay in position when using the right hand turn signal). Hooked up both wires as before. Problem is that the rear hazards are flashing as soon as I turn the key in the ignition. It's rears only. As soon as I activate the turn signal it's fine. Once the turn signal is off, the rear hazards are on again. It seems to be related to one of the wires only (the red one). What could be the problem? Thanks for your input.
It's for a 70 Coronet BTW...

Did you replace just the cam, or the entire harness running down the steering column?

I replaced the cam only - disconnected the 2 wires and reconnected with the new cam. Could it be an issue due to lack of dielectric grease or bad bulbs in the back?

bet the internal copper contacts are touching each other when you installed the new cam...take it apart and try again, or just replace the entire switch this time

Do you mean the fingers or the circular contacts? I checked everything over a dozend times and visually there seems to be no issue. I am afraid to cause more damage by taking the entire switch apart.....Will look at everything again and report back. IMG_0592.jpgIMG_0593.jpg

Not to hijack thread, but mine has the original problem you described also. Left turn normal, right turn doesn't want to "engage".

Then your cam probably looks like this. I decided to replace the whole switch with the cam already pre-installed. I will update once installed.IMG_0715.jpg

Well, I decided to take the advice of A383Wing and go with a whole new switch. It arrived yesterday and I plugged it in (outside of the column). Now I need to figure out how to feed it down the steering column for final installation.....hopefully tomorrow.

run a stiff wire like a coat hanger up the column where the wires come through....then tape the turn signal wires to the coat hanger wire and pull the turn signal wires down through the column

That's exactly what I did. It was the most difficult part too.
First disconnect the old switch under the dash.IMG_0777.jpg
Then connect the wire to the new switch and fish everything to the small slot you see here.IMG_0780.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Fished through.IMG_0779.JPG
One problem I had was the fact that the hazard switch was too big although I was told it fits B Bodies (online part number SM111).IMG_0781.JPG
I had to trim the bottom so it would slide in and out.IMG_0783.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Old and new side by side.IMG_0785.jpg
And finally everything put back together and going for a test drive. yeaaahhhh !!!IMG_0786.jpg

Yes. Just like new. Everything's tight.I didn't want to tackle the whole switch but I am glad I did.

Auto Transport Service
Back