• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turning drilled/slotted rotors

VitaminCRR

Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
So I pulled my front rotors today because I had a pulsing in the pedal on a hard stop and I thought maybe they were warped. (I have drums on rear). I took them to an O'Reillys because they said they could turn them. I finally had to call them to find out the status and they said they couldn't turn them because they were drilled and slotted. Is that a thing or were they just lazy and not want to do them? Any thoughts?

O'Reilly's did the same thing to me with my slotted rotors. Just find a repair shop that will turn them.

They are concerned about the wear on their lathe. The interrupted cut is hard on the tooling. Also may not work with an automated machine.

Those same clowns said they couldn’t turn mine cause the races and 3” studs were in my rotors. Bunch of kids. I just bought new ones but I’d check with a tire / muffler shops. More likely to be useful.

I did find a guy that lives next door to a friend of mine that owns a brake lathe that said he'd do them. I'll find out today if they are done.

As in the video above, the slotted rotors can be cut, but the "operator" Ha!
has to take light cuts because the cut is intermittent. Not hard on the equipment
at all because cast iron crumbles when machined. And that "crosshatch effect
on the new rotors is done by grinding both sides with two cup wheels and
plenty of coolant. Five hundred miles later it's all smear-metal again. No gain.

Those same clowns said they couldn’t turn mine cause the races and 3” studs were in my rotors. Bunch of kids. I just bought new ones but I’d check with a tire / muffler shops. More likely to be useful.

Seems like absolute bull. I think all indicate on the races. Maybe the 3" studs conflict with their stuff?

They are concerned about the wear on their lathe. The interrupted cut is hard on the tooling. Also may not work with an automated machine.
Just machining cast iron is hard on tooling....and then the interrupted cut adds to it. Need a decent radius on the cutter tip for longevity and use a good grade carboloy tool. Tool steel won't do the job....

As in the video above, the slotted rotors can be cut, but the "operator" Ha!
has to take light cuts because the cut is intermittent. Not hard on the equipment
at all because cast iron crumbles when machined. And that "crosshatch effect
on the new rotors is done by grinding both sides with two cup wheels and
plenty of coolant. Five hundred miles later it's all smear-metal again. No gain.
Cutting cast iron is hard on the cutting tool plus since cast iron is sand cast, the particles are hard on machinery over time.....sort of like sandpaper on glass. Whenever I cut cast iron on my lathe, I cover the ways with rags.

Even the AAmco brake lathes from the 70's use carbide triangular inserts that are coated.
No one uses High Speed tooling on brake lathes or even engine lathes anymore. You're
right, Cast Iron and all of the junk you run into are not good for HSS. Like I said, Light cuts!

Auto Transport Service
Back