• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twin Post Mirror Glass Removal?

mitchs66

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
I have a twin post mirror on my '66 Belvedere that is loose. The last car that I had I could remove a snap ring that held the mirror glass in and fixed the loose strap inside. But this mirror doesn't have the snap ring??? I'm guessing the glass is glued in, and can't seem to get it loose. I'd rather not breaker the glass out if I can help it. Anyone done this before? Any help would be great.
20180719_215307.jpg
20180719_215326.jpg
20180719_215349.jpg

If the glass is glued in, you can soak it mirror side down in lacquer thinner in a shallow pie dish or something. This will soften up the adhesive and then the mirror will either fall out or can be gently pried out. Depending on the glue you may need to soak for an hour or a few. If it is not coming free easily, soak it longer. Mine stayed in the dish when i lifted out the housing after a couple of hours.

Monroegtx, paint thinner for the win. Thanks! I let it soak for 2 or 3 hours and was able to pop it out. Now to fix the broken off rivet.
20180720_111701.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back