• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two Dollar Bills

I gave my son one when he turned sixteen, I now carry it with me. It's worth a lot more than 2 dollars to me.
Back in the day, we'd call you an "Indian giver". :D You didn't pick his pocket, did you ? :lol:

Purchase an item individually, and the price does indeed round up.

If something's $1.95 then that's what you pay - no rounding.
If its $1.97 you pay $1.95
If its $1.98 you pay $2.00

Take 14 items individually priced at 3.97. The total is $55.58. With "rounding" its going to cost you an extra TWO CENTS !!

BUT
If you only but 13 items at 3.97 the total is $51.61. With rounding it'll be $51.60

3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
55.58​

I admire you. A girl gave YOU money... :D
Long story short, she and I had a huge crush on each other. Believe it or not I actually did the right thing by not pursuing it. I really didn't have my head on straight so I made the right decision. I kept the two dollar bills and let her go.

Long story short, she and I had a huge crush on each other. Believe it or not I actually did the right thing by not pursuing it. I really didn't have my head on straight so I made the right decision. I kept the two dollar bills and let her go.
It sounds like you were thinking with the right head, Scott.

If something's $1.95 then that's what you pay - no rounding.
If its $1.97 you pay $1.95
If its $1.98 you pay $2.00

Take 14 items individually priced at 3.97. The total is $55.58. With "rounding" its going to cost you an extra TWO CENTS !!

BUT
If you only but 13 items at 3.97 the total is $51.61. With rounding it'll be $51.60

3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
3.97​
55.58​

So the retailer pockets the difference when the bill is rounded up?

They surely will love that.

I collect sales tax (well, my business does) on behalf of the state.

They recently made a change from "tax tables" to a "round up" system.

There is a portion of the state sales tax known as "discretionary tax" that is set at the county level and goes to the county.

Every "round up" penny always goes to the discretionary tax.

I wonder if the state thought this through?

It IS easier than maintaining tax tables, though.

Last edited:

They surely will love that.
We just figure, that with the randomness of purchase totals, it all evens out over time. It saves us from having almost worthless, but expensive for the government to produce, pennies jingling around in our pockets. Now, instead of a penny jar at home, I have one containing nickles and dimes.

And they lose it when its rounded down.

At the end of the day (or year) the gain/loss is insignificant.

Even when we were using pennies people usually tossed them in a bowl at the cash registers for then next person to use if they needed them.

And FWIW the rounding only applies to "cash" sales. If you use debit or credit cards you pay the actual amount.

The state doesn't round down.

The debate about whether or not people can figure out math if pennies are gone, or extra change by carrying a dollar coin is rather moot in my case. Almost every single transaction that I make goes on a credit card or debit card, paid off online every month.

anyone here starts a thread about 3 dollar bills, I'm out
From Florida in the 1800's.
1697467152230.jpeg

There's a couple of local scrap yards here to give out 2 dollar bills as change...

Auto Transport Service
Back