• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two Dollar Bills

Dibbons

Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
When I was a youngster vacationing at Lake Tahoe (circa 1965) I went into a local bank with a bunch of loose change (quarters, dimes, nickels, maybe some pennies) and I asked the teller for a two dollar bill. I was not a "customer" but I did receive one and it is still around here somewhere. I think the U.S. should start using the dollar coins and two dollar bills and stop printing the paper one dollar bills (nothing costs a dollar any longer).

The reason this subject came to mind is because my barber here in Mexico asked me to bring him back a two dollar bill on my next trip to visit the USA. Evidently, he lost the two dollar bill he had and he misses it, wants it back.

two dollar bill.jpeg

I have an American two dollar bill, are they rare?
We haven't had paper one or two dollar bills here for decades, coins for both denominations.

The US mint is still making pennies at a loss. The dollar coins were never popular, unless given as exchange for token machines, light rail/subway.

A buddy of mine regularly goes to the bank and gets 2 dollar bills. He uses them regularly, and every tip at a restaurant includes one.

Yeah, the US Mint needs to update our money. Pennies should be abolished and everything rounded to the nearest 5 cents. Dollar bills are costly because they get used so much; they wear quickly and the US Mint needs to constantly destroy old ones and print new ones. Coins are very durable and that is why they have tried to introduce the dollar coins several times. They really need a good design dollar coin and to get rid of the dollar bill from an efficiency and cost perspective.

A buddy of mine regularly goes to the bank and gets 2 dollar bills. He uses them regularly, and every tip at a restaurant includes one.

Yeah, the US Mint needs to update our money. Pennies should be abolished and everything rounded to the nearest 5 cents. Dollar bills are costly because they get used so much; they wear quickly and the US Mint needs to constantly destroy old ones and print new ones. Coins are very durable and that is why they have tried to introduce the dollar coins several times. They really need a good design dollar coin and to get rid of the dollar bill from an efficiency and cost perspective.
Yea, I can just see pulling a dolly around Carlisle, to haul the "change" you'd need to buy those Rare parts ???

And why the hell do you still use pennies ?!?!?

Two dollar bills in Canada ... back in the 80's we still had them but when I moved to Alberta I never saw any. I asked a co-worker what the deal was and he explained that at some point many years earlier (during the depression years I think) votes were "bought" by a very unpopular party at an election using two-dollar bills. The two-dollar bill from that point on signified that you could be "bought", that you "had" been bought and nobody wanted the dirty money. Overnight you could no longer spend a two-dollar bill.

Anyhow, Canada has used used one and two-dollars coins for many years now, has totally eliminated pennies and the rest of out bills are all plastic.

To those who would argue in favor of pennies, the process is "rounding" to the nickel. if something ends up at 97 cents (tax in) it is rounded DOWN to 95 cents. If its 98 cents (tax in) then its rounded up to one dollar. You can buy a two-million dollar car but the same rounding applies and the difference will still only be a few cents one way or the other.

At the end of a year I seriously doubt you'd be in or out more than ten bucks!

IIRC the first $2 was issued in 1976. I have an uncirculated one.

They have redone several series since then. I have a few of those too.

If $1 is no longer made, what if something costs $3?

I agree dollar coins kind of suck. Buying a book of stamps at the PO gets you change in ALL SBA or Sacajawea dollar coins.
THANKS, USPS!
I use them at the toll both (or I did until they got rid of all the humans), or at the PO. No one has any drawer space for them, not even the place that dolls them out.

We have some Canadian friends, and apparently $1 (loonie) and $2 (twonie) coins are standard fare there.

The problem with eliminating the penny-

Everything will immediately rise 4 cents in price- a tax on consumers.

...and people will have to rethink math- from an easily divisible base 10 system to one where only numbers divisible by 5 are allowed.

Everyone LOVES math, right?

Actual tax will also immediately go up. If you are currently paying 6, 7, or 8 percent, guess what? Now you're paying 10%!

Yea, I can just see pulling a dolly around Carlisle, to haul the "change" you'd need to buy those Rare parts ???
I didn't say we'd like it - we Americans love our dollar bills which is why the previous attempts to get rid of it have failed.

Many countries have made their larger denomination coins smaller, rather than constantly making them bigger. The key is to make them easily identifiable and distinct from other coins.

Personally, I hate carrying change, but the dollar bill's days are numbered, I believe.

I'm an exact change kind of guy. Have a stack of ones and cups of change but I like screwing with young cashiers that can't count change. :lol:

I gave my son one when he turned sixteen, I now carry it with me. It's worth a lot more than 2 dollars to me.

The problem with eliminating the penny-

Everything will immediately rise 4 cents in price- a tax on consumers.

...and people will have to rethink math- from an easily divisible base 10 system to one where only numbers divisible by 5 are allowed.

Everyone LOVES math, right?

Actual tax will also immediately go up. If you are currently paying 6, 7, or 8 percent, guess what? Now you're paying 10%!
Your entire statement is absolutely ridiculous. Read post #9

The individual item prices DO NOT change.

Things do NOT immediately go up by 4 cents, the prices stay the same and are "rounded" up or down on the final total. Let me give you and example:

TODAY if you do and entire grocery order and the TOTAL bill is $287.72, that's what you pay.
If pennies are eliminated then on that same order the total would be rounded DOWN to $287.70
However, if the total had been $287.73 then it would be rounded UP to $287.75

Regardless of how much something costs, the difference is NEVER more than 3 cents.

And taxes have nothing to do with the elimination of pennies.

A girl I graduated with gave me 5 2 dollar bills for my graduation gift. I still have them somewhere

No one on the receiving money end of a transaction will EVER round down. I guarantee it.

Purchase an item individually, and the price does indeed round up.

...for each item.

Auto Transport Service
Back