• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two Dollar Bills

I didn't say we'd like it - we Americans love our dollar bills which is why the previous attempts to get rid of it have failed.

Many countries have made their larger denomination coins smaller, rather than constantly making them bigger. The key is to make them easily identifiable and distinct from other coins.

Personally, I hate carrying change, but the dollar bill's days are numbered, I believe.
Good thing you sold your car last year Hawk, carrying ALL those quarters may have been tough !!!

I'm still waiting for that nine-tenths of a penny per gallon to be dropped from the price of gasoline.

A penny for your thoughts?
:eek:

It says something to me when our money has been devalued so much people find it a chore to deal with pennies. Seems very accepting of a truly rotten series of events, to me.
If some one finds themselves overburdened by dealing with all of their change, put it in a box and send it to me. I will take care of all that pesky change for you. Just carry $5 bills or larger and send me whatever is left over.

Eliminating pennies, dollar bills, etc. is simply a stepping stone for further devaluation of our currency.
This whole thread reads like a bunch of lazy individuals sitting on the edge of their chair waiting for the CBDC to kick in so they can wave their hand over a register to check out.
If you don't understand what you are signing up for from all the baggage that comes with that concept, please look into it.

Somehow people have concluded our system is based on a dollar. It is not, it is based on a penny. A penny is one "unit of money". It is not 1/100th of a unit of money, it IS the unit of money, a dollar is 100 units of money. It is the entire basis of our financial system and removing it for a larger amount cedes that basis to the dollar. THE DOLLAR DID NOT COME FIRST AND THEN NEEDED TO HAVE DENOMINATIONS SMALLER. Our financial system was designed just like you would count. You start at zero, and count to 100.
Throwing that system out is folly. Accepting some other system because of pure laziness is also folly.
Go back and read my first paragraph now. That is the result of changing the system, you just won't have it explained to you so bluntly and will have no choice in the matter. The difference is you won't see the change returned to you in the first place.

It says something to me when our money has been devalued so much people find it a chore to deal with pennies. Seems very accepting of a truly rotten series of events, to me.
If some one finds themselves overburdened by dealing with all of their change, put it in a box and send it to me. I will take care of all that pesky change for you. Just carry $5 bills or larger and send me whatever is left over.

Eliminating pennies, dollar bills, etc. is simply a stepping stone for further devaluation of our currency.
This whole thread reads like a bunch of lazy individuals sitting on the edge of their chair waiting for the CBDC to kick in so they can wave their hand over a register to check out.
If you don't understand what you are signing up for from all the baggage that comes with that concept, please look into it.

Somehow people have concluded our system is based on a dollar. It is not, it is based on a penny. A penny is one "unit of money". It is not 1/100th of a unit of money, it IS the unit of money, a dollar is 100 units of money. It is the entire basis of our financial system and removing it for a larger amount cedes that basis to the dollar. THE DOLLAR DID NOT COME FIRST AND THEN NEEDED TO HAVE DENOMINATIONS SMALLER. Our financial system was designed just like you would count. You start at zero, and count to 100.
Throwing that system out is folly. Accepting some other system because of pure laziness is also folly.
Go back and read my first paragraph now. That is the result of changing the system, you just won't have it explained to you so bluntly and will have no choice in the matter. The difference is you won't see the change returned to you in the first place.
So with all due respect, I beg to differ. The key term I think you did not include was inflation.

When our money system was set up, you could buy a heck of a lot with one dollar - a penny was a reasonable unit of money. Over the years, inflation causes things to cost more. I just looked it up, and a penny in 1776 now is about $0.35 today. Respectively, that means $1 in 1776 was like having $35 today.

So the smallest unit of money today equal the smallest unit of money in 1776 would be about a third of a dollar. Said another way, a quarter today is still worth less than a penny was worth in 1776. So if we were going to "reset" our money to make it work like it did before, we would actually get rid of the penny, the nickel and the dime, and only use quarters and half dollars.

The US mint, with your tax dollars and mine, make the penny at a loss. It costs us a lot of tax dollars to still have the penny and it essentially has no use. Rounding to the nearest 5 cents when using cash rounds up sometimes, and rounds down other times, so it becomes a wash (and, per your statement nobody is talking about always throwing out any money worth less than a 5 dollar bill either...).

So getting rid of the penny is overdue and makes good financial sense.

Don't forget the half penny!
1697498339223.jpeg

Maybe you all will feel better, when change is gone, and you'll need this:

Screenshot_20231016-192510.png
Screenshot_20231016-191114.png
Screenshot_20231016-192532.png

I paid a moving violation ticket with $2 bills...eighty-eight $2 bills. :p

The courthouse clerk didn't have anywhere to put them...no slot in till for $2 bills.
:rofl:

True story.

I still have the shirt I wore when I paid the fine. Anyone want to see it?
:realcrazy:

Ill keep my pennies. If they do away with the penny everything will go up a minimum of 1 cent or 4. Figure that up over every purchase made in a year and in these here United States of America. And then figure the amount of extra taxes now paid on that amount. If you dont like pennies please leave them at the counter when you receive them somebody else will gladly use them. You clearly have more money then sense. Pun intended.

So with all due respect, I beg to differ. The key term I think you did not include was inflation.

When our money system was set up, you could buy a heck of a lot with one dollar - a penny was a reasonable unit of money. Over the years, inflation causes things to cost more. I just looked it up, and a penny in 1776 now is about $0.35 today. Respectively, that means $1 in 1776 was like having $35 today.

So the smallest unit of money today equal the smallest unit of money in 1776 would be about a third of a dollar. Said another way, a quarter today is still worth less than a penny was worth in 1776. So if we were going to "reset" our money to make it work like it did before, we would actually get rid of the penny, the nickel and the dime, and only use quarters and half dollars.

The US mint, with your tax dollars and mine, make the penny at a loss. It costs us a lot of tax dollars to still have the penny and it essentially has no use. Rounding to the nearest 5 cents when using cash rounds up sometimes, and rounds down other times, so it becomes a wash (and, per your statement nobody is talking about always throwing out any money worth less than a 5 dollar bill either...).

So getting rid of the penny is overdue and makes good financial sense.
I would not reset our money. That is the difference.
Inflation just means you can't buy as much with the same money. It hasn't changed the money, just the amount of things you can trade it for.
Getting rid of pennies does NOTHING to change the value of what a dollar can be traded for. Think about it. If you can buy one banana for a dollar now, not having pennies means what? It is still a banana for a dollar.
The issue is if the banana is not a dollar, but 86 cents. Because it can't be. Not without a penny.

Remember one dollar coins? Of course we all do. Story time:
Vending machine at work sold 16oz bottles of Dr. Pepper for 70 cents. You put a buck in and got your change back.
Dollar coin is introduced. OH WOW SO CONVENIANT!!
2 weeks after they put the new machine in that would accept the dollar coins the Dr. Pepper cost 75 cents. because the machine wouldn't handle nickels anymore. It needed the space for the dollar coins. A month later the machine accepted $5 bills, so it could give you the dollar coins as change. 5 months later the Dr. Pepper cost a dollar. Now there was no change unless you put in a 5 spot.
Do you imagine anyone was happy they didn't have the change anymore?

That is reality for what you suggest. The banana will never be 85 cents. It cost 86 because that's how the math played out. They won't round it down. So now it costs 90 cents. Then in a year it costs a buck. Why? Because the 4 cents of inflation for one banana multiplied by millions of citizens made more inflation.
And then what? Will inflation stop? No, it just grows because no one can raise a price by 2 cents/lb. They have to do it by 5's. Or tens. Then the cycle accelerates.

The only way to avoid this is to make a completely unrelated currency. hey lookie there, the central banks have been buying gold like they know something is up, and they want to make a new CBDC based on gold. How do you think the exchange rate for dollars vs the new CBDC will go? I bet they don't round down for you.

Currency is not broken. The recent rotten series of events is really, REALLY trying hard to make it feel broken so people will accept a new cashless financial system. Don't get sucked into that. That leads to you paying sales tax to your neighbor when you go to his garage sale and buy his old leaf rake for two bucks. And your neighbor required to collect it and report it as income. Because the transaction was digital and went through the FedNow.
Pennies keep all this crap in check, and as I stated are the building blocks of our currency system. The cart isn't broken. leave it be, it will still take the milk to town.

Maybe you all will feel better, when change is gone, and you'll need this:

View attachment 1541288View attachment 1541299View attachment 1541300
This activity happened in Germany right before.... GASP! They made a new currency based on gold. Then they made owning gold illegal. Then they did a rewind on everyone's debts because people took the wheelbarrow and paid off their mortgage with the money.
Hmmm, the central banks are hoarding gold.....
People should always remember the US made owning gold illegal at one point as well.

2 dollar bills are only half as much fun at the nudie bar
I got removed from a 'Nudie Bar' out the back of San Bernadino for putting a load of money in the stripper's underwear.

Apparently pulling her knickers forward and dropping a handful of quarters is not the done thing in some places. I guess slot machines are all the same .......one coin at a time otherwise you cause a jam up. :p

True story.

I got removed from a 'Nudie Bar' out the back of San Bernadino for putting a load of money in the stripper's underwear.

Apparently pulling her knickers forward and dropping a handful of quarters is not the done thing in some places. I guess slot machines are all the same .......one coin at a time otherwise you cause a jam up. :p

True story.

could have been nickles :lol:

True story.

I just leave a $10 roll of quarters on the edge of the stage and let them pick it up without using their hands.

The debate about whether or not people can figure out math if pennies are gone, or extra change by carrying a dollar coin is rather moot in my case. Almost every single transaction that I make goes on a credit card or debit card, paid off online every month.
One place where I won't use a credit card is a restaurant....
From Florida in the 1800's.
View attachment 1541000
That bill looks kinda queer....
I paid a moving violation ticket with $2 bills...eighty-eight $2 bills. :p

The courthouse clerk didn't have anywhere to put them...no slot in till for $2 bills.
:rofl:

True story.

I still have the shirt I wore when I paid the fine. Anyone want to see it?
:realcrazy:
Sure, post up a pic of it!

Auto Transport Service
Back