• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ubolts with flattened top? and pinion seal question...

Did you get it back to where it was originally?
Or even close to 240?

I didn't even mark the nut. After replacing the seal I used some Teflon paste on the splines and a little oil on the seal and contact area on the yoke. Installed the yoke, washer and nut. Tighten till it bottomed out and turned the yoke to seat the bearings. (Maybe didn't need to do that part) A couple of nuts/washers on the brake drums and applied the E-brake. Tightened the nut as far as I could underneath and then moved to the pipe on the breaker bar. Like I stated before I had the bar sticking out under the leaf springs so I could stand on it. Stood on it till I couldn't move it anymore.

The pipe wrench is one way to help hold the yoke, I actually used a 2' piece of angle iron with holes drilled to bolt to the yoke.
20180423_125440.jpg

If you're raising the car maybe try placing the pipe wrench in a different position where it has a different outcome.

Last edited:
I"m new at this on a computer, not sure how to get an answer from a post , anyway i seen your post about changing the pinion seal and the answer you got back I just bought a 1965 Satellite a couple months ago I have the 741 case I was going to change the gear but changed my mine its a 2:93 open maybe later, how did your pinion seal job turn out? my torque wrench doesn't go to 240lbs either this car sit for about 10 years but the 318 runs great holds 55 lbs oil pressure someone put a mild cam and intake on it cleaned the pan which surprised me had very little crud in it ,thinking about ordering and putting power disc brakes on it do know of anyone that has done this and what kit they used?
I just did my front brakes I used Dr.Diff (Doctordiff.com) Top notch and great customer service.

Attempted tightening pinion nut again today, bent my breaker bar and then the socket side made a pop sound.
It spread apart exposing what I assume is the broken pin.

I don't foresee me getting this thing any tighter.

Fluid was flowing out the original seal, so I saw it as a needed repair.
Bummer.

Attempted tightening pinion nut again today, bent my breaker bar and then the socket side made a pop sound.
It spread apart exposing what I assume is the broken pin.

I don't foresee me getting this thing any tighter.

Fluid was flowing out the original seal, so I saw it as a needed repair.
Bummer.
Drive it like you stole it!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back