• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncle Tony says Mopar engines have a fatal flaw

I think this would matter more at the drag strip, with solid traction. But I remember pictures of the AA/SS cars having external oil lines back in old pix at the track. I also remember guys running a Moroso accumulator on the street. What’s your thoughts on this?I

I think this would matter more at the drag strip, with solid traction. But I remember pictures of the AA/SS cars having external oil lines back in old pix at the track. I also remember guys running a Moroso accumulator on the street. What’s your thoughts on this?

I think this would matter more at the drag strip, with solid traction. But I remember pictures of the AA/SS cars having external oil lines back in old pix at the track. I also remember guys running a Moroso accumulator on the street. What’s your thoughts on this?

I can generally agree on what the guy says, even if the reason could be incorrect. My 69 hemi roadrunner had the same problem around 1972, and a supposedly expert installed a Milodon pump with a custom deep pan and a single line outside static pickup, and that was the end of that. Obviously my street racing days ended in the 80’s and since then it’s been garage and resto times. One day soon I will start posting photos, if anybody is interested.

Much of what UT says in this vid makes sense, but I think he severely overstated the spun rod bearing issue. I never spun a rod bearing in my '65 Coronet drag car which left very hard, in at least 2000 runs with a 402 pan 2"deeper. Excessive RPM is what kills a Mopar bottom end, especially with heavy pistons/pins.

Uncle Tony’s video’s make a lot more sense if you drink a case of beer before you watch them.

In the early 70's I knew a local guy who was running a front engine blown dragster. Still had a 392 in it and had been blown up so many times and welded back together the block wouldn't hold water so he dry decked it. A privateer with a full time job, family, etc made him do everything he could on the cheap, but I found him to be pretty darn smart with engines.

I too was having trouble with spun bearings on my big block Mopar powered drag car. I'd added a quart capacity to the oil pan, played with crankshaft finishes and treatments, bearings, oil pressure spring, etc. Being flat broke all the time I was ready to throw in the towel and sell the car.

He told me to drill and tap the two oil passages to the heads, install an allen head plug with a 1/8" hole drilled in the center of it, and paint the valley with Rustoleum paint. Claimed it was a trick most of his peers were using on their dragsters. The theory was most of the oil would end up in the top portion of the engine and not drain back adequately during a quarter mile run. (I used to run 1/8 mile a fair amount and had not had the problem doing that)

I made the changes and never had another problem with bearings. I used to twist that poor thing to 7K through the lights, time after time after time. The first few years after the snow settled in I'd pull the pan and check the bearings just to be sure. They looked great. If anything I was more concerned about signs of the main caps walking around a bit than anything I saw on the bearings.

Maybe it was a fluke, considering my own ineptness maybe dumb luck, but it worked for me. I'm looking to build a new 440 soon and will definitely make the same mods to that block.

I guess it’s not as bad as big block Chevy and fords dropping valves
Never had a problem with oil myself

Auto Transport Service
Back