• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unsilenced air cleaner -Any difference in performance street cruising vs open element

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
Anyone experience any difference in performance vs an open air element? Hard question, Would seem the obvious answer is open element would allow max air flow but for normal street cruising not track racing would an open unsilenced cleaner be just as good?

I,ve run the 68-69 13" unsilenced air cleaner with k&n filter on a 496 stroker and no changes in quarter mile 11:80 ET @ 116mph with the air cleaner on and with off

Last edited:
I haven't tested it but I don't see how there would be any real difference.

A little research found part #1540 is the same dia. but 3.5" tall. Could use Ford Motorsport drop base #302-350 air cleaner base to use 1540 element for more filtering area and maintain same height.

I have always wondered, I did experience a little choke off of air when I had the eddy 800 on there when I tried to romp on it after it was warmed up to around 150° dam near died not sure if that was carb or cleaner, in the garage once it seemed to not want to start once as well.

Just would seem the physics of the unsilenced would be very restrictive with out snorkels. The gap under the lid just doesn't seem that much.

Here,s a shot of my engine with Fast EZ tbi efi,lot,s of room to run the unsilenced air cleaner and a tall filter element. I,m using the Ford drop base.
A buddy of mine run a 70-340 Dart with the dual opening air cleaner and went from 14.70 to 14.20 with it removed.

Attachments

• 496 efi.jpg
    496 efi.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 653
I have always wondered, I did experience a little choke off of air when I had the eddy 800 on there when I tried to romp on it after it was warmed up to around 150° dam near died not sure if that was carb or cleaner, in the garage once it seemed to not want to start once as well.

Just would seem the physics of the unsilenced would be very restrictive with out snorkels. The gap under the lid just doesn't seem that much.

Mopar engineers engineered everything. They engineered it for as much flow as possible so it's not much diff that running nothing or open filter. The round unsilenced cleaner may be even better as the air probably gets a speed up or at least channeling effect for a straighter shot of air to the carb opening due to the routing

Would love to see a cutaway of that in a video form. Just seems like it must be trying so hard to pull in air, drove around yesterday and could not tell the difference.

I have both ,the dual snorkel & unsilence.....

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 565
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 497
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 493
  • Screenshot-1.jpg
    Screenshot-1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 524
You notice any difference in performance Pops? Very nice looking breathers !! I'd have to say the dual snorkle looks the cooler of the two though ;)

In 67 they were a special order as I was told by another member(Hanson) on FBBO. His thread of a ground up resto & family history. Got me interested in the unsilenced air cleaner... I don’t really see any difference in performance....But their is a difference in sound......

Wish I could hear it, with 3" pipes and flowbastrd super 40's can't hear much of anything else except a lovely exhaust leak lol

In 67 they were a special order as I was told by another member(Hanson) on FBBO. His thread of a ground up resto & family history. Got me interested in the unsilenced air cleaner... I don’t really see any difference in performance....But their is a difference in sound......

Unsilenced air cleaner was part of the 4 speed package.

Attachments

• gtx4seed.jpg
    gtx4seed.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 402
Nice quote Girard! I think the only performance difference could be found on a dyno. On the street, nothing. Believe it or not, during testing, some consumers found that low-pitched growl of an open-element air-cleaner "offensive" during acceleration. Air cleaners to this day are still baffled to eliminate that noise (music to the rest of us).

my super bee drops 1/10th with the 69 unsilenced air cleaner on...fram filter...i have a k&n now...havn't been back to the track yet.

I like the look of the dual snorkel just as I like the look of REAL dual exhaust. Performance is awesome but I can eat 1/10th for a dual snorkel, my .02.

Auto Transport Service
Back