• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Urethane leave spring bushings

Eric F

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed Urethane leave spring bushing? Did the vehicle exhibit any vibration through the car, ride harshness other than the dreaded squeak. I can’t remember if I put the bushings in when I owned my car in the 80’s or the owner in between my first and 2nd time owning the car. Thanks

I have always replaced mine with stock rubber. Most of these cars are no longer daily drivers and the rubber will probably out live us. Everyone I know that has done urethane has regretted it and said it does ride more harsh and some say they squeak at times. Unless, you are road racing on the weekends of course. Then urethane would be better.

I asked a guy not long ago who did that, what's the difference ? He said, basically a few hours work.

Has anyone installed Urethane leave spring bushing? Did the vehicle exhibit any vibration through the car, ride harshness other than the dreaded squeak. I can’t remember if I put the bushings in when I owned my car in the 80’s or the owner in between my first and 2nd time owning the car. Thanks

I used Urethane in the rear, the shackle area. I left the rubber bushing in the front.

I have always replaced mine with stock rubber. Most of these cars are no longer daily drivers and the rubber will probably out live us. Everyone I know that has done urethane has regretted it and said it does ride more harsh and some say they squeak at times. Unless, you are road racing on the weekends of course. Then urethane would be better.

I don't regret mine. Rubber flexes more and can cause instability during cornering. For a casually driven street car, Urethane will not provide any benefits. If you steer and corner with some enthusiasm, the urethane cuts down on the flex that the axle will have. Think of the rear shackle as a double hinge where it is fine under most conditions but will flex when the weight of the car wants to move from side to side...(Cornering results in weight transfer to the outside of the radius due to centrifugal force)
Mine did squeak for years but I've since removed them and added the special Poly-Urethane lube on the bushings and hardware. They will start to squeak again once the lube works it's way out.
I don't mind the extra maintenance.

I put urethane in the shackle area to stiffen things up.
I was very close to put urethane in the front eye too, then I did read a lot of articles/forum posts about how that bushing moves when stressed. And also opinions from people that had installed urethane.

...from all that info I installed rubber and the car has been a joy to drive for many years now. (No vibrations and very quiet.)

Auto Transport Service
Back