• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kinda Pissed At My Suspension Shop

Don67Satellite

Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
Thought I would post this to get some opinions from the FBBO experts.

Had my front suspension rebuilt in May. The shop I used, who will remain nameless for now, came recommended in the hot rod/classic car circles.

I was going to do the job myself, but project commitments at work prevented me from having the time. I had purchased all new Moog parts & Hotchkis torsion bars, shocks etc, and the shop was cool with just doing the installation for labour.

After Mopar Madness, I came home, and kind of noticed a squeak/groan coming from my front end when pulling into the driveway. After parking I popped the hood and pushed down on the drivers side fender and what a squeak it was. Very loud. Pushed down on the passenger side, and no noise.

I knew it was coming from the LCA, so I put the car up on some ramps and got underneath, and this is what I found.

IMG_1947.jpeg
IMG_1955.jpeg

These bushings were installed in May, and they are destroyed.

The shop owner and I had a discussion about how to get the old outer sleeves out of the LCA's, and he assured me that "he has a tool for that" which made me a little skeptical. I gave him the lowdown on the washer/press method as well.

From what I can see from these photos is the outer sleeve of the old bushing was not removed, and he pressed the new one into the old sleeve, as my eyes can clearly see 2 sleeves here.

I didn't think that this would be possible to do, but I guess the rubber part would allow enough "give" to press it in, but then the rubber has nowhere to go, so it pukes out the front.

The passenger side one is no prettier.

IMG_1952.jpeg

The owner of the shop is very apologetic and doesn't understand "how this could have happened" because he is the one that did them, he can't even blame one of the shop guys.

I have an appointment upcoming for him to fix this and "make it right", but I was curious if what I am seeing here is right?

I had a couple local Mopar guys look at the pics and the first reaction was "you forgot to take the old outer sleeve out", but what say you FBBO guru's?

Last edited:
Gave bad info.. disregard

Last edited:
You can see the lip in your magazine photos. Those bushings were never touched. Way too much grit and grime for less than 2 months in operation.

You can see the lip in your magazine photos. Those bushings were never touched. Way too much grit and grime for less than 2 months in operation.

Looking at different pics of LCA's now I do see what you are saying. And yes, this car goes to local cruise in's on sunny days, the rest of the suspension looks brand new still. Maybe you are right.

At least he's apologetic and offering to make it right.
We all make mistakes sometimes, he sounds like a stand up guy, don't break his balls too bad.

At least he's apologetic and offering to make it right.
We all make mistakes sometimes, he sounds like a stand up guy, don't break his balls too bad.

Yes, I explained that he is in the original post. I was asking for opinions on what I am seeing here, not to take shots. His company is nameless, no one's balls are breaking.

I swear I am still seeing double here. Not mine on left, mine on right. Something definitely off.

View attachment 1499820View attachment 1499821
well.. it only takes bout a hour to pull the LCA off the car, then you would know for sure... it does look a bit odd but man.. putting my new bushing in it was soo tight in the lca i thought i was going to break my 100# vice, i don't see how 2 together could even be possible. BUT.. there is no way rubbers should be months old and look like that..

I've done a bunch of theses. There is no way a second sleeve will press in with the old sleeve still in place. Those are only 3 months old? They certainly don't look new to me. Looks like they were never replaced.
Doug

BTW.. good thing you caught it... one of the top mopar builders and racers had bad lower bushings and didn't know it.. car would get crazy squirrly when it came down after a launch... Still ran solid 14s though :)

The pictures look like every old lower control arm bushing I have replaced. I dont think it was changed.

It looks super weird, and the more I look, I would have to agree that it seems like they were not changed at all because 3 months of going to the coffee shop cruises and nice days, they couldn't possibly look that roached.

I found a 10 year old thread that I think explains what my eyes are seeing. Seems to look different in different photos I've seen. Thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge on LCA's. :thankyou: I am now believing that they never got replaced at all judging by the condition of them and the level of grit, since this car never drives in "grit" or sees bad weather. Will make the in person conversation more interesting at the shop. Thanks again.:luvplace:

Auto Transport Service
Back