• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

use of Dakota starter as mini on a 440 4 speed

69redrunner

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows if the 94-99 Dakota starter will work in a 440 4speed application. I have searched and see that some of you recommend using it, but I can't find anything conclusive on auto only or if it will bolt right up to the 4 speed as well.( 1970 model year 440)
Thanks.

Auto or manual makes no difference.

Doesn't have to be from a Dakota either.I have a mini from a full size 97 pickup and my 91 also uses a mini

Good information! Im tired of wresting that heavy beast; how much smaller is it? obviously the nose is the same?

Googled and found this pic. It's a big difference.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdfFRptXH4euF8BcK1vHVPxdtXCQGejOhwJZEwZPd_9wWVKLwm.jpg

I put a mini starter on my 69 RR with 10.5" clutch and had to grind the block to make it fit. I also had to make a 90 deg terminal block for the cables. The one that comes with the starter hits the block. My bell housing is a Lakewood.

The stock type mini starters will have some interference with the wiring connector like Meep says and some will be up against the block pretty snug. It just depends on the casting of the block.....they fit really close.

I just went through this..Won't fit..at least that's my take on it.

The terminal block is on the other side from the OEM one..at least it was on the one I had. Had to put my old one back on..Then I went and ordered this:

pwm-9613_oh_xl.jpg

Fit's like a glove and does a great job..

Many Mini Starters, like the one pictured here for example, come stock with a secondary set of removable terminals preinstalled that must be removed before fitting the starter up to a big block. In this case, the entire black plastic assembly (complete with it's own set of terminals) is removed to access the main terminals, which are located underneath the two button bumps on the black plastic cover piece. Once this plastic assembly has been removed it will look exactly like the hookup on the PowerMaster unit pictured above.

Attachments

• Mini.jpg
    Mini.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 362
Many Mini Starters, like the one pictured here for example, come stock with a secondary set of removable terminals preinstalled that must be removed before fitting the starter up to a big block. In this case, the entire black plastic assembly (complete with it's own set of terminals) is removed to access the main terminals, which are located underneath the two button bumps on the black plastic cover piece. Once this plastic assembly has been removed it will look exactly like the hookup on the PowerMaster unit pictured above.

Thanks! Great stuff! I have the same mini starter as in your picture. I have it on my 70 Road Runner with a 383 and TTI headers. It fits fine, although installation is a PITA. However, I never thought there were secondary terminals. You just taught me something new. I will remove the secondary terminals and give myself some extra room...

Hey meep, was yours a Chrysler mini or an aftermarket unit?

It is a MoPar one but looks identical to the auto parts store new one I got for another car.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but I didn't like how close the terminals on the actual starter were to the block so I molded my own using 3M DP420 epoxy. For the terminals I silver brazed some CU battery cable to ring lugs and made a Delrin block to hold them in place for the epoxy. Came out pretty good and seems strong.

Auto or manual makes no difference.
Not to take over this thread but am curious as the Mopar licensed proform (mini denso) I just installed on my 440 4 speed doesn’t match the bell housing. Wondering if this is due to the starter application being for A, B, & RB engines or because it’s a manual transmission? I haven’t seen this figment issue elsewhere and the part indicates it’s for my specific application.

Also seen just shields from 440 source specified ONLY for auto transmissions.

B7C7035B-93A1-4E80-8853-230C7ACEE858.jpeg

BB80A341-8A64-4AF1-BE6D-655F519C1552.jpeg

I just went through this..Won't fit..at least that's my take on it.

The terminal block is on the other side from the OEM one..at least it was on the one I had. Had to put my old one back on..Then I went and ordered this:

View attachment 204873

Fit's like a glove and does a great job..
Was this a 4 speed car? My housing doesn’t seem to match very well and depending on what Proform says I may look for an alternative that truly fits.

They sell a kit to move the wire terminals to the outside. It bolts onto the existing terminals. I always put the nut on and then cut the positive post down so it is not so close to the block.

Check it in the store before you install it on the car. I didn't and had a bad one.

Posted via Topify on Android
This is why you get a boneyard unit, it's all ready guaranteed to work, saves money too!!
Hey meep, was yours a Chrysler mini or an aftermarket unit?
Was this a 4 speed car? My housing doesn’t seem to match very well and depending on what Proform says I may look for an alternative that truly fits.
This is why you buy a used one and search for how to correct any fitment problems, READ!

Auto Transport Service
Back