• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using an Oil Filter ‘SANDWICH ADAPTOR’ process for priming an engine?

8stackhemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
Anyone ever try to use a oil filter sandwich adaptor for priming a 440, or whatever, or a Hemi, or whatever engine??? I’ve done it a bunch of times using the priming rod stuck down in the distributor hole to the top of the pump, BUT just curious if anyone has tried this?
Seems like it should work, if combined with a ‘pressure tank’ of sorts, and a compressor to push the oil through the return port on the adaptor to the engine to make sure everything is lubricated. No disturbing the distributor, nor the cam gear either. Maybe it’s way more work than it’s worth too, but i have a lot of time on my hands to try something new just for giggles & grins. :rolleyes:
Any thoughts out there?
A4D8C577-1DB9-4615-90D3-B826265EB252.jpeg

Last edited:
That would appear to be a messy procedure. Do you have the room to stick the filter further forward?
Mike

Just get a tank, fill it and regulate the air. Tap into the oil sender and back prime it. However to me running the pump and seeing that it has picked up its prime and is pumping out is the best way. I can have the dizzy out and the shaft out, oil pump pumping oil quicker than screwing around any other way.

Easier to just prime the engine using the drive and oil pump.
Also this way you know the oil pump can do the job.
Your way needs something to push the oil through the engine.

I agree why. When I prime an engine after sitting a piece tape from dist base to block and slit between dist & block. Pull cap note where rotor is pointing. Remove dist and note where dist drive slot is and remove it. Prime and reassemble. Done.

I can’t doo it! It’s too hard! WWWAAAAAAA!!!

Just like adjusting the tapered rear axle bearings.

Just do it the correct way and move on with life. You will (should) get so good at it it will be quick. Instant oil pressure and no clatter on startup. It’s beautiful!

Gotta remove the diz and drive shaft,the way it's been done for over 60 years.,,,,,,or more
HEMI-ITIS, Agreed. I do like new challenges though & playing around with different alternatives occasionally. My life is boring, i guess…..:screwy:

I just run an Accusump. Hit the switch. Engine is primed before firing. It will also self inject 3 extra quarts into engine automatically if engine oil pressure drops below a designated set psi (15 psi) on my car. And re pressurizes itself.

If you had 2 or 3 quart accumulator hooked up to it it would work. It would be an expensive solution.

I had an accumulator,removed that along with another 180lbs. Now a slim 3700lbs with my 200 in the seat.

I just run an Accusump. Hit the switch. Engine is primed before firing. It will also self inject 3 extra quarts into engine automatically if engine oil pressure drops below a designated set psi (15 psi) on my car. And re pressurizes itself.
ACCUSUMPS are pretty cool, i have one for my 73 challenger w/aluminum 572 hemi & although somewhat costly, it is good insurance for the motor, for sure.

With a 35K+ engine, every little bit of insurance helps.

Oh I am not saying not to prime it, I am just saying the method you suggested is different than just spinning the pump, that said no matter how you do it, its definitely worth doing.

ACCUSUMPS are pretty cool, i have one for my 73 challenger w/aluminum 572 hemi & although somewhat costly, it is good insurance for the motor, for sure.
Yes, I like mine. It wasn't too bad price wise. They are just hideous looking where most people mount them. I hid mine behind the front bumper. Can hardly even see it.

IMG_8664.jpg IMG_8663.jpg

0C71828B-231B-4051-99AC-58CFCFABD7FD.jpeg
F06B2E5B-D5EE-4CE5-A59A-097587B69B89.jpeg
Yes, I like mine. It wasn't too bad price wise. They are just hideous looking where most people mount them. I hid mine behind the front bumper. Can hardly even see it.

Looks like a challenger, just like mine, ha! Was gonna put it in the trunk, but sure makes for a realllllly long run & even more oil. Behind front bumper was a great idea being still close to engine compartment.
My project’s still not done……it started in MI before i retired down to SC in 2015 and been only 13 years since i first bought it as a roller.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back