• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Cover Gaskets 68 Roadrunner 383

68 Roadrunner

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
What's the best gasket set to use? the Moroso rubber ones on it were leaking and I am not a fan of leaks. Very irritating. I would like to replace them and not worry about it or have the leaking. Any suggestions as I am sure this has occurred before. The Mopar performance gaskets from Mancini are currently out of stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I like the heavy black Fibre felpro or mopar ones(same).
Those blue ones don't work on stock heads they weren't designed to conform to the irregular surfaces.

As noted ^^ what heads. Stock, nothing has beat plain old cork in my opinion and my shop floors!

Whichever gasket you use will need a coat of RTV on both sides or they will most likely never seal. That is with iron heads and tin valve covers. I use cheap cork gaskets now with a coat of RTV on both sides. Don't over tighten and they seal up every time.

I did the Dart's 340 and the Bird's 440 last year with plain cork, stock covers and no sealer. No leaks, yet! My Bee's 383, some expensive gaskets from Mancini, Direct Connection tin covers with load spreading washers, some sealer and still chase one weep out the drivers rear.

While an absolute pain to remove, Permatex #2 will seal. I sometimes use it with cork. If I know I will be making adjustments, I glue the cork to the valve cover with #2 and then I oil the side that comes in contact with the head.

I've also used it both sides to be certain of no leaks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the cork and permatex since the stock heads edges are a bit rough. I contacted Tony at Tony's parts also, didn't know he would reply immediately but he did and recommended the same. Huge thanks to all that replied. Appreciate you.

Auto Transport Service
Back