• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valves stuck

Well I finally got back to this project. These were two original 906 heads with about 70 thousand miles on them with apparently very little guide wear.

I finally got the the two remaining intake valves out by heating the guides with a propane torch, Kroil penetrating oil, an air hammer, hammer bit, and piece of aluminum bar stock on the valve stem tip. Single blows with a brass hammer or steel hammer on the aluminum stock were never going to get these valves to move. After the first air hammer attempt I drilled a 3/8 blind hole in the bar stock to keep it in place on the valve. Even with the air hammer, I had to move the valves slightly in one direction, lube the stems, and push back in the other direction several times.

Good news, they came out with no scoring, no cracked guide bosses, no bent valves, and a grayish looking material that cleaned off. Next I'll tank the heads, hand lap the original valves, reassemble and put these back on the original short block.

Wish I'd have thought of the air hammer sooner!

Auto Transport Service
Back