• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VC sealing tips/tricks

nutz4spd

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
I've had issues with the ɓack of the passenger valve cover leaking pretty good no matter what I used. It's on a 1965 model 413. Is there a trick to getting these valve covers to not leak? The edge of the cylinder head is really narrow and porous, which I find odd. Why wouldn't it be machined flat and smooth? I see 440Source has a rubber gasket with a metal center. Would that be better than the cork?

I use Moroso Perm-Align valve cover gaskets. I buy from Summit. They are the ones you described, rubber with metal center. Never any leaks.

If the head is porous, then that may be the source of the leak and not the valve cover gasket.

Seemed that I used a Felpro hard rubber gasket last time.

With everything clean and oil free I'll use 3M Black weather strip adhesive to glue the gasket to the valve cover. Then using Permatex Ultra Black or for faster setup time use Permatex "The Right Stuff" and put a 1/4" bead on the gasket and place it on the head. Install the fasteners and just tighten until they touch. Then using a 1/4" drive just snug them by hand.

Using the Ultra Black you need to let the sealer set up for an hour before final torque. Then let it cure overnight before running the engine. The Right Stuff you can install and go.

I had the same problem with a set of 452 heads. Installed the covers and gaskets dry and I could see a gap under the gaskets in the corners. I checked the flatness of the covers and they were perfectly flat. Placing a straight edge on the heads showed the low areas on the corners.

No leaks at all. Removed the covers after 500 miles for valve train inspection and reinstalled with just a thin film of sealer.

Auto Transport Service
Back