• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage air on a 69 satellite wagon

I need to read your other thread, but being that it's 44 pages (Which we appreciate all the detail), can you tell me - is the Classic Auto Air hidden Compressor bracket an off the shelf item I can order from them or was it custom? Since it's a bracket specific to our cars, do you see any reason I couldn't use this bracket in conjunction with my Vintage Air system?
The bracket to mount the compressor is from Bouchillon Engineering. When I bought my system from Classic they were well aware of it and just substituted it instead of the standard brackets for a small price difference. But I don't see why you couldn't use it with either a Classic or Vintage system. Note that (a) the bracket requires an electric fuel pump because it puts the compressor where the mechanical fuel pump is mounted and (b) it is a finicky pain in the arse to get right so the belts don't squeal. Once it is set right, it works well, but you can't just throw belts on it and expect it to work well. I hid my compressor due to my air grabber system - I didn't want to detract from that. But if you can mount the compressor in a more standard location, it will make for an easier install. So do you want better looks or more simple setup? Everything has pros and cons, so decide which you prefer!

The bracket to mount the compressor is from Bouchillon Engineering. When I bought my system from Classic they were well aware of it and just substituted it instead of the standard brackets for a small price difference. But I don't see why you couldn't use it with either a Classic or Vintage system. Note that (a) the bracket requires an electric fuel pump because it puts the compressor where the mechanical fuel pump is mounted and (b) it is a finicky pain in the arse to get right so the belts don't squeal. Once it is set right, it works well, but you can't just throw belts on it and expect it to work well. I hid my compressor due to my air grabber system - I didn't want to detract from that. But if you can mount the compressor in a more standard location, it will make for an easier install. So do you want better looks or more simple setup? Everything has pros and cons, so decide which you prefer!
oh, that's right, the mechanical fuel pump is in the way. I had originally intended to use this same Bouchillon bracket when I had plans for EFI, but that hasn't materialized...appreciate the info

I did the Vintage Air Sere-fit kit on the '69 Coronet R/T (440 non-A/C car.) It cools, but I don't care for the semi-hidden lines that run under the fender.
I would rather have the firewall bulkhead and lines run inside the engine compartment.
No problem with the replacement electronic slider switch/controls. Not sure about the retro-fit kit that uses the factory control panel?

On my '69 Coronet 500 (318 factory air), I want to keep the factory heater/Evaporator (flushed/cleaned) box under the dash.
I might try using the factory condenser (flushed/cleaned) and expansion valve with the 134A freon?
I have a new Sanden SD-508 134A compressor, a new dryer with Binary switch, and I will make new hoses/lines (bought the Mastercool 71550 manual A/C Hose Crimper tool when I did the R/T.)

I believe the recovery of the old R12 freon, and charging the system with the new 134A, needs to be done by someone with an EPA 608/609 certification?

Last edited:
pushrod: I want to send you a private message, but your inbox is full.

I'm a big fan of the original factory box, rebuilt with everything working, and a modern compressor. Many of the aftermarket boxes do away with the fresh air option, all recirculated air.

Tried to send another PM, but your "Inbox" is still full. Not to hijack your thread, but I have a pair of '69 Belvedere wagon NOS taillight assemblies and a NOS tailgate window crank handle for sale. Send me a PM for pictures, details, and price if you're interested.

I have Classic on my 69 RR. Factory parts under the hood and their "Street Rod II" behind the dash. They have the OE looking control panel and they also have production looking center dash vents that I like.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I recently purchased the vintage air from Bouchillon. They were helpful and they are local. The only draw back is a 16 week delivery, so I gave myself a big Christmas gift, unknown by the wife.

Tried to send another PM, but your "Inbox" is still full. Not to hijack your thread, but I have a pair of '69 Belvedere wagon NOS taillight assemblies and a NOS tailgate window crank handle for sale. Send me a PM for pictures, details, and price if you're interested.Do you have an electric window cover? If so I'm interested but I'm good on the taillight. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back