• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Viper T56 install

I have a 66 Charger getting a 6.1 and a tr6060 as a street car. We specialize in the GenIII Hemi cars so I am building the drivetrain as we would a modern Challenger and using a 4.30 gear.As soon as I get started I will post my own thread. This was a great read. Awesome job.

No problem, hope it helped in one way or another.

Thats awesome 747! 19mpg is close to what I get but you have a lot more cubes!
I think I could actually up that by spinning it faster. My final drive in 5th is 1.97. So at 60 mph I run around 1500. Its a touch too low in my opinion. So I have been thinking 3.23

440+6 with auto/GV dana 3.73 trick flow heads with roller cam. Street car with AC.

I figured this was the best place to post this. Considering an option that wouldn't require the extra clearance for the reverse lockout solenoid. Something that just puts enough pressure via the Spring to make the 5th/Reverse mistake a non-issue.

I saw this "Mechanical Lockout" suggesting on another forum: Thoughts?

You can modify the existing mechanical part of the lock out by taking it apart removing the snap ring and puling out the internal mechanism. You need to remove the c-clip to install the spring on the opposite end of the shaft and insert one washer each one either side of the spring. Reinstall the c-clip then compress the assembly together in order to reinstall the snap-ring.

You have now eliminated the electromagnetic growth from the mechanical part of the lock out. This keeps enough spring load (K, constant) pressure to keep the lever from engaging reverse. It has a feel when putting it into reverse somewhat like that of putting a 4 speed into reverse with a touch more resistance.

I wish I had taken pictures of this when I preformed the op. BTW you will need a threaded plug to put the o-ring on from where the solenoid went. I had a low profile hex bolt made from aluminum.

The order of assembly may be out of sequence but you’ll see what I mean when you get it apart.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Basically there will be no reverse lockout but enough resistance making putting it in reverse accidently less likely to happen?

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Basically there will be no reverse lockout but enough resistance making putting it in reverse accidently less likely to happen?

That's what I'm thinking. Obviously the Solenoid is the best way to go but considering options.

Also if you don't like wiring the solenoid to the brakelight or the switch then this is an option http://reverselockout.com

Hi everyone !

I'm planning (just a plan like many other w'll say) to buy an used Viper T-56 to put behind a Gen 3 Junkyark 5.7 Hemi (still have to find it to). I plan to daily drive my Charger and do some track days/ autocross on the weekend so fuel economy and performance are my goals

After some research, I found pretty much every parts I should use but I still have some questions and this thread looks like the place to ask them. The only concern that I have is about the clutch and bellhousing choice.

I would like to use a twin clutch set up for later engine upgrade and for the beauty/engineering of this part. The problem is that there is not much info on the web about a similar clutch system.

Here is a list of the componements I selected and I would like what you are thinking of it.

- Aluminium Flywheel from Mopar Perf (P5153593) What do you think of the HEMI 2G flywheel from McLeod (8 holes like the 3G and still 130 tooth like recommanded)

- Quicktime Bellhousing (Wich one ? See below for my concern) My choice would be the #8081 but not sure about that.

- RXT clutch from McLeod (Which one fit the mopar perf flywheel ? ) The #6921-07 looks like the good one but what they mean by large diameter flywheel ?

First I need to choose a Bell housing. I got 3 choice from Quicktime but apparently a twin disk (I got this info from the A body forum where he was using an centerforce clutch) doesn't fit on 2 of the 3.

1) SBM to a Viper T56 (8074). the starter is on the driver side (Apparently perfect with a torsion bar set up for header clearence / TTI source) Twin disk may not fit

2) Hemi 3G to Viper T56 (8077). Starter on the passenger side. Apparently a twin disk set up may not fit.

3) Challenger 09-10 Hemi to TR6060 (OE direct remplacement) (8081). From my research it's the only one that fit the twin disk set up but will I need to change the input shaft from a Viper to a Tr6060 ?

If someone could help me in my research that would be really great. Sorry for my bad English skills.

Greetjes !

Elliot

I'm going the same route - 5.7 Hemi with the TR-6060 ( Challenger 6 speed ) instead of the Viper 6 Speed.

The yard that I got the transmission from - had the original flywheel + the original double clutch set up too - since they were sitting right there at the time of purchase ( and I bought a bunch of other parts from them too ) he tossed them into my truck too . . .

Since this was originally the setup that goes into the Challenger ( 5.7 Hemi and 6-speed ) . . . My hopes are that this will work out great for my ride. It's not an aluminum flywheel ( too bad ) but the price was right

Look's like THE good deal ! But with my luck I will not find that kind of deal on my price range ^^
I made some further research and apparently the RXT clutch is much smaller than the Center Force one (That doesn't fit into 8077)
Anyone got more info

Nobody ?

I have found an used bellhousing on facebook and I don't know what to think of it. Apparently it is new but the scratch on it looks bad. What do you think of it ?

quickt10.jpg

quickt11.jpg

Nobody ?

I have found an used bellhousing on facebook and I don't know what to think of it. Apparently it is new but the scratch on it looks bad. What do you think of it ?

quickt10.jpg

quickt11.jpg

Scratches don't phase me, these things are pretty beefy so I'd just make sure no holes are egged out and check the runout as recommended by Quicktime (can probably download a pdf file if missing the directions). I wish I could help you more but all of my research was related to BB's, the bellhousing I bought dictated which flywheel to buy which intern dictated which clutch setups would work. If I remember correctly it's a GM clutch??

MCL-75225 is what I used for a clutch but regret it now, turns out it won't hold up to my motor..... or driving style:lol:. I'll be stepping up to a much beefier clutch, 2nd year into it and I've smoked it a few times.

This is my second year with the tranny and am still in love, best of both words and a blast to shift.

Last edited:
Hi everyone !

I'm planning (just a plan like many other w'll say) to buy an used Viper T-56 to put behind a Gen 3 Junkyark 5.7 Hemi (still have to find it to). I plan to daily drive my Charger and do some track days/ autocross on the weekend so fuel economy and performance are my goals

After some research, I found pretty much every parts I should use but I still have some questions and this thread looks like the place to ask them. The only concern that I have is about the clutch and bellhousing choice.

I would like to use a twin clutch set up for later engine upgrade and for the beauty/engineering of this part. The problem is that there is not much info on the web about a similar clutch system.

Here is a list of the componements I selected and I would like what you are thinking of it.

- Aluminium Flywheel from Mopar Perf (P5153593) What do you think of the HEMI 2G flywheel from McLeod (8 holes like the 3G and still 130 tooth like recommanded)

- Quicktime Bellhousing (Wich one ? See below for my concern) My choice would be the #8081 but not sure about that.

- RXT clutch from McLeod (Which one fit the mopar perf flywheel ? ) The #6921-07 looks like the good one but what they mean by large diameter flywheel ?

First I need to choose a Bell housing. I got 3 choice from Quicktime but apparently a twin disk (I got this info from the A body forum where he was using an centerforce clutch) doesn't fit on 2 of the 3.

1) SBM to a Viper T56 (8074). the starter is on the driver side (Apparently perfect with a torsion bar set up for header clearence / TTI source) Twin disk may not fit

2) Hemi 3G to Viper T56 (8077). Starter on the passenger side. Apparently a twin disk set up may not fit.

3) Challenger 09-10 Hemi to TR6060 (OE direct remplacement) (8081). From my research it's the only one that fit the twin disk set up but will I need to change the input shaft from a Viper to a Tr6060 ?

If someone could help me in my research that would be really great. Sorry for my bad English skills.

Greetjes !

Elliot
Given the fact that you have a 5.7 HEMI I'd look for a TR6060 tranny, the TR6060 is basically the same tranny but it already bolts right to your 5.7 making it a simple fit. If your certain you want the T56 then just do the research, you just need to know what size flywheel the bell calls for and match the clutch to the splines on the tranny and flywheel diameter. Feel free to P.M me with any questions.

Look's like THE good deal ! But with my luck I will not find that kind of deal on my price range ^^
I made some further research and apparently the RXT clutch is much smaller than the Center Force one (That doesn't fit into 8077)
Anyone got more info
I had a twin disc and single disc sitting side by side, very little dimensional diff.

Hi,

I'm looking for a new throwout bearing for my Viper trans. Someone knows where they can be found ? Find it ! :p Rockauto as one !

Also what is the size fitting for the bleeder line ?

Thank you

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back