• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Viper T56 install

No problem guys, I enjoyed it and hope it answered some questions because it did for me. One more installment to come before I put a fork in it, I'll try to get everything back together and running silky smooth for one good video so everyone can see for themselves and with that I will have completed my mission.

Should finish the new maple top for the console this weekend and get the new boot made up which will wrap it up so I can do a video. Everything seams to be sorted out and with the clutch breaking in it's only been getting better, she's a blast to drive. Pretty confident I'm going to a 4:10 rear, I feel like a lower gear would be nice for taking offs and the .5 6th gear is just ridiculous so it would be better all around. The main reason for this post is to post this link though, I come across this and thought hmmmmm.

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=186

- - - Updated - - -

I will at some point in time install these gears for sure.

COOL . . . got the ability to swap up the gearing in the 6-speed . . . thanks for that post 747Mopar . . . I'll have to keep that in mind ! !

The page states it's for the TR-6060 . . . so would it work for the Viper trans and the trans I've got for my Belvedere ?

My trans is listed as a TR-6060 . . .. I believe . . .

Nice find and thanks for the link Dev. Definitely a nice option to have although at half the price of the whole tranny a little steep.

Once you do the 4:10 swap be interesting to see if you still feel the need for these. I don't plan on spending a lot of time in 6th only as ECO on the Hwy's but if these could help find that "Sweet Spot" where every gear is essentially usable (except first will be a write off with 4:10's with the exception of smoky tire shreddin) they could be money well spent.

At least the switch out to 4:10's is a more cost effective start and you have that spare 489 to build.

Now if only I could get my T56 installed so I could feel/see for myself!!

- - - Updated - - -

Just re-read. This states alternate set for the Gen 4... Ours are Gen 3.. Wonder if that's an issue?

Kahn, there's a "Contact Us" section, I would email them directly about the make/model/ year your tranny is out of. Not sure what Gen your 6060 would be?

Nice find and thanks for the link Dev. Definitely a nice option to have although at half the price of the whole tranny a little steep.

Once you do the 4:10 swap be interesting to see if you still feel the need for these. I don't plan on spending a lot of time in 6th only as ECO on the Hwy's but if these could help find that "Sweet Spot" where every gear is essentially usable (except first will be a write off with 4:10's with the exception of smoky tire shreddin) they could be money well spent.

At least the switch out to 4:10's is a more cost effective start and you have that spare 489 to build.

Now if only I could get my T56 installed so I could feel/see for myself!!

- - - Updated - - -

Just re-read. This states alternate set for the Gen 4... Ours are Gen 3.. Wonder if that's an issue?

Kahn, there's a "Contact Us" section, I would email them directly about the make/model/ year your tranny is out of. Not sure what Gen your 6060 would be?

Didn't see that, oh well.

Here's the reply they sent me when I inquired. Still may help someone else though.... KAHN!!

Hi Mike,

Sorry, that upgrade is only for TR6060 transmissions, not T56's.

Thanks,

Dan Lesser
(716) 912-5336
Viper Specialty Performance
Perfection. That is our only requirement.
www.ViperSpecialty.com

Time to see how it does with new gears and new slip yoke bushing. I put a set of 4:30's in it and tightened up the slop in the yoke that required shimming a brand new bushing (had .007" slop brand new so I wrapped it in a .002" thick shim closing it up to .003"). Crossing my fingures that coast vibration is gone now.

Final update on this thread. The bushing didn't fix the vibration but I finally tracked it down to the pinion angle, with the vibration gone I finally got a feel for the tranny. With the 4:30 gears the car is awesome, easy take offs in stop and go traffic and perfect rpm range for the freeway! 5th is great for your 60 mph and under roads and 6th is reserved for 70+ mph, my only concern about this setup is if racing you really need a shift light (go threw the gears quick) and need to be good at getting threw the gears but this thing shifts like a dream! Love it

Final update on this thread. The bushing didn't fix the vibration but I finally tracked it down to the pinion angle, with the vibration gone I finally got a feel for the tranny. With the 4:30 gears the car is awesome, easy take offs in stop and go traffic and perfect rpm range for the freeway! 5th is great for your 60 mph and under roads and 6th is reserved for 70+ mph, my only concern about this setup is if racing you really need a shift light (go threw the gears quick) and need to be good at getting threw the gears but this thing shifts like a dream! Love it

nice thanks for the read

I know I said I was done with this thread but after allooooooooot of miles I've come to the conclusion that the reverse lockout wired to the brake light isn't the best avenue. On more than one occasion I've for whatever reason had to apply a little brake (going into a turn, etc) as I was going into 5th and got barked at by the tranny haha. I'll be installing a relay with 12V constantly applied to the coil and will install a trigger to the shifter that will supply the ground to activate the coil. Doing it this way does 2 things, it requires only one wire in the shifter (other side of trigger is just grounded) and it removes all chances of a short.

Another update is after nearly 3,000 miles of use the tranny has proven to be worth the effort consistently knocking down 19 mpg on the freeway with a 456 stroker, 850 carb and 4:30 gears.

Another update is after nearly 3,000 miles of use the tranny has proven to be worth the effort consistently knocking down 19 mpg on the freeway with a 456 stroker, 850 carb and 4:30 gears.

Dev, that is great MPG! On my car, I have a 0.73 OD ratio (not at all like yours) but only a 3.55 rear. So my final drive ratio with OD is 2.59:1. If I have my numbers right, you have a 4.30 with a 0.50 final OD. So you have an effective final ratio of 2.15:1. Wow!

I have not had the chance to measure my mileage, but I am hoping for high teens. Your results make me hope I can do that, especially since I am running my stock 383.

Good info - thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if you poke into the 20's with fuel injection and a stock 383. The best part of the overdrive is cruising on the freeway, people are used to flying by these classics because of gearing but I'm consistently in the passing lane at 75mph and the motor is barely running haha. That in itself turns heads.

I know I said I was done with this thread but after allooooooooot of miles I've come to the conclusion that the reverse lockout wired to the brake light isn't the best avenue. On more than one occasion I've for whatever reason had to apply a little brake (going into a turn, etc) as I was going into 5th and got barked at by the tranny haha. I'll be installing a relay with 12V constantly applied to the coil and will install a trigger to the shifter that will supply the ground to activate the coil. Doing it this way does 2 things, it requires only one wire in the shifter (other side of trigger is just grounded) and it removes all chances of a short.

Guess that's something else I best keep in mind. Maybe I'll have a reverse lockout button beside a line-lock button... that could make things interesting! lol

Guess that's something else I best keep in mind. Maybe I'll have a reverse lockout button beside a line-lock button... that could make things interesting! lol

It would be cool to have the line lock as a trigger on your index finger like I fighter jet and the reverse lockout on the top? Could be done, I've got some short stubby micro switches that would get the job done.

That's definitely an idea I could play with when the time comes. the only thing from my current shifter that will be retained in the swap is the wood grips so when it comes to that point I would definitely have options.

I really did like the idea of the lockout with the brake though so that's too bad.

Since my last post I switched back to 3:55s, the 4:30s just made the car feel slow having to shift constantly. I figured the switch would render 6th as useless like before but this is where I learned something...... when running these kinds of rpm's you are no longer tuning the carb like normal and really need to focus on the idle circuit and the power valve. After some tuning it's perfectly happy knocking down 80mph on the freeway at 1,800 rpm pulling hills like nothing, needless to say flying by cars on the freeway in a 69 Charger with the motor just humming along is pretty sweet! That's it folks, I love my 3:55s and they're here to stay. ...... oh yeah, it feels a lot faster again and still gets sideways at will.:headbang:

i have to be going about 85- 90 before going into 6th gear , then its has no real acceleration

What gears??? I built this motor to build it's power down low up threw the midrange (1,800-5,800 rpm) which I'm sure really helps, anybody running an aggressive cam that requires a lot of stall wouldn't like this tranny very much at all I'm sure. It still doesn't accelerate for **** in 6th which it shouldn't but has no problem pulling hills which we have a lot of without ever downshifting. When reading up on the Vipers before doing this swap they even they say that 6th is Eco only, the Vipers will actually start slowing if shifted into 6th while racing....... what do you expect from .50 haha?

Keep tinkering and you'll only get happier with it.

All in all, it's exactly what I wanted now that I've dialed everything in.

I have a 66 Charger getting a 6.1 and a tr6060 as a street car. We specialize in the GenIII Hemi cars so I am building the drivetrain as we would a modern Challenger and using a 4.30 gear.As soon as I get started I will post my own thread. This was a great read. Awesome job.

Auto Transport Service
Back