• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning for pet owners!

Had an incident with my Catahoula one late night. I take the dogs out just before I go to bed. There was a huge racket and a long Yelp from Frank. I yelled and my Shepherd came right to me. Frank kept fighting something making loud hideous noises. I ran inside and grabbed my Fox side by side with 00 buck. I went to the north edge of the yard where the noise had come from. It now was quiet and I thought a mountain lion ended Frank.

He was across the ravine looking into a tree pile in the ravine. From the noise I thought maybe a bobcat then. I keep a Walther 9 in my coat because I have had mountain lions in my yard several times.

I didn't want to waste a 00 on a flush shot, so I fired into the tree pile with the 9. Nothing flushed out, but Frank quickly relocated to my side. I saw a flash of eyes near the bottom of the pile. I held the light ahead of the pistol and slowly raised up and fired when the silhouette of the sights crossed the lit up eyes. It was quiet for a couple of seconds followed by flopping. Lucky *** shot deep in the tree pile at about 20 yards. I went down and saw a weird black back leg with huge claws, a short tail and round ears low on the head. Badger with a discounted face... I'd guess 50% off.

The next morning I went to take a couple of pictures and Frank wouldn't come down to the bottom of the ravine. He got a torn lip and a cut up nose. He is 100% domestic animal friendly and has zero interest in pheasants, turkeys etc. However, with wild furry animals he goes nuts and won't stop when you call him, unlike every Shepherd I have had. He's not stupid, he just chooses not to listen. Evidently has a bypass switch on his ears when his nose is activated.

IMG_20230212_121431686.jpgIMG_20230212_121305120.jpgIMG_20220508_151324357_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20230212_121315747.jpg

Down in the hole, you can see the top of it's head...
IMG_20230212_135543685_HDR.jpgIMG_20230212_120959699_HDR~2.jpg

Big putty tat tracks and why I always carry... Have had tracks within 6 feet of my porch twice.

IMG_20200205_172645001.jpgIMG_20231127_135928955.jpgIMG_20231127_140139146_HDR~2.jpg

Had an incident with my Catahoula one late night. I take the dogs out just before I go to bed. There was a huge racket and a long Yelp from Frank. I yelled and my Shepherd came right to me. Frank kept fighting something making loud hideous noises. I ran inside and grabbed my Fox side by side with 00 buck. I went to the north edge of the yard where the noise had come from. It now was quiet and I thought a mountain lion ended Frank.

He was across the ravine looking into a tree pile in the ravine. From the noise I thought maybe a bobcat then. I keep a Walther 9 in my coat because I have had mountain lions in my yard several times.

I didn't want to waste a 00 on a flush shot, so I fired into the tree pile with the 9. Nothing flushed out, but Frank quickly relocated to my side. I saw a flash of eyes near the bottom of the pile. I held the light ahead of the pistol and slowly raised up and fired when the silhouette of the sights crossed the lit up eyes. It was quiet for a couple of seconds followed by flopping. Lucky *** shot deep in the tree pile at about 20 yards. I went down and saw a weird black back leg with huge claws, a short tail and round ears low on the head. Badger with a discounted face... I'd guess 50% off.

The next morning I went to take a couple of pictures and Frank wouldn't come down to the bottom of the ravine. He got a torn lip and a cut up nose. He is 100% domestic animal friendly and has zero interest in pheasants, turkeys etc. However, with wild furry animals he goes nuts and won't stop when you call him, unlike every Shepherd I have had. He's not stupid, he just chooses not to listen. Evidently has a bypass switch on his ears when his nose is activated.

View attachment 1577010View attachment 1577011View attachment 1577012View attachment 1577013

Down in the hole, you can see the top of it's head...
View attachment 1577014View attachment 1577015

Out of all the breeds I've had, the Catahoula has been the best. I've loved them all, but the Catahoula stays with me. I adopted some half-Catahoulas last year but who knows where they are right now? Not me!

Out of all the breeds I've had, the Catahoula has been the best. I've loved them all, but the Catahoula stays with me. I adopted some half-Catahoulas last year but who knows where they are right now? Not me!

Frank rehomed himself here. I called the local PD for the dog catcher, the humane society and a couple of vets. After 2 weeks my niece that worked at one of the vet clinics called me and said she had a lady come in for horse meds and told her to take the Catahoula off their pet list, as he didn't come home this time. She gave the lady my number and I got no call. I sent 2 texts and called and left messages twice... No response.

The next day on the way home from work I called my niece and asked what response the lady had when you said you know where her dog is?... I got a delayed "well"... I said "Underwhelmed?" She giggled and said kind of.

My niece then called the lady and asked if she could release his vet records. Then the lady called me. Said they got him as a pup 2 years ago and he grew up with a Border Collie. When the Border Collie died he started cruising the country. He had a GPS and a perimeter collar when he showed up here, 5 miles from his home. She said he would just run through the perimeter and take the hit and keep going.

He absolutely didn't listen at all... Zero. He's a huge pushover for food and treats. I had to start from scratch and train him. It was a lot of work compared to any Shepherd I had. I thought he was a bit slow, but it turns out he is just really stubborn... 20'x30' kennel jail instead of house privileges for running off. Watching the Shepherd get a treat each time he reacted to a command and none to him for ignoring me worked. Positive reinforcement worked wonders, but the stubborn streak still is there. SUPER nice dog, but not always a good dog. Insane nose power and drive. He could track a bacon treat in a hurricane 2 counties over.

IMG_20230601_195136682_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20200722_195603861.jpgIMG_20200722_195624438.jpgIMG_20231110_172032994~2.jpgVID_20200803_195439773_exported_748_1600498176523.jpgIMG_20210117_152829032_HDR.jpgBoy is he a shmoozer... He flops his head against people repeatedly to get them to pet him and give him attention. He can dish out some stress, but it's more seldom all the time. I've grown pretty fond of him.

Frank rehomed himself here. I called the local PD for the dog catcher, the humane society and a couple of vets. After 2 weeks my niece that worked at one of the vet clinics called me and said she had a lady come in for horse meds and told her to take the Catahoula off their pet list, as he didn't come home this time. She gave the lady my number and I got no call. I sent 2 texts and called and left messages twice... No response.

The next day on the way home from work I called my niece and asked what response the lady had when you said you know where her dog is?... I got a delayed "well"... I said "Underwhelmed?" She giggled and said kind of.

My niece then called the lady and asked if she could release his vet records. Then the lady called me. Said they got him as a pup 2 years ago and he grew up with a Border Collie. When the Border Collie died he started cruising the country. He had a GPS and a perimeter collar when he showed up here, 5 miles from his home. She said he would just run through the perimeter and take the hit and keep going.

He absolutely didn't listen at all... Zero. He's a huge pushover for food and treats. I had to start from scratch and train him. It was a lot of work compared to any Shepherd I had. I thought he was a bit slow, but it turns out he is just really stubborn... 20'x30' kennel jail instead of house privileges for running off. Watching the Shepherd get a treat each time he reacted to a command and none to him for ignoring me worked. Positive reinforcement worked wonders, but the stubborn streak still is there. SUPER nice dog, but not always a good dog. Insane nose power and drive. He could track a bacon treat in a hurricane 2 counties over.

View attachment 1577347View attachment 1577348View attachment 1577349View attachment 1577350View attachment 1577351View attachment 1577352Boy is he a shmoozer... He flops his head against people repeatedly to get them to pet him and give him attention. He can dish out some stress, but it's more seldom all the time. I've grown pretty fond of him.
Pet owners who won't put in the work to train the basics aren't really pet owners, they are more like room mates... Frank didn't want to be a room mate, he was looking for a pet owner..

That's a handsome Catahoula!

Mine arrived as a dump -

Catahoula_Jack_Jack.JPG

He came with explosive diarea which he did his best to hold in, but as soon as I'd take him out of the house he'd run off and go boooom!

The vet cured him, but not before he let one loose in middle of the night. Worst clean up I've ever had. He even put it into a box fan. I had to clean diarea off all those little slats, but he's worth it. Ever since then he's been as close to perfect as a dog can get.

My dog Elvis had an ingrown hair between his toes
he licks his feet a lot, he had a spot where he'd licked it raw
if you didn't stop him
I'd soak each affected foot in hydrogen peroxide
& put an antiseptic ointment/clear cream on them after
I'd dry them off
it was never a big problem, seemed to go away quick...
I didn't know, I just figured they were hot spots from licking it...

All of a sudden about 4 weeks ago it/lil' lump size of a pea now
I just noticed, started to swell, he'd lick it bad, when not in sight of me or dad
& after a couple weeks, it got/grew to the size of big bean
then one day still looking for a good vet, 4 days in now, it burst, all bloody
gross, no more waiting, need someone to take him in now...

I'm fearing the worst, the big "C"
:praying: thank goodness it wasn't

My reg. vet 20 years, like 10+ miles away upper Sonora
(Mono Way Large Animal Vet. Clinic)
dr. had retired, like 3 months ago, with no notice to the customer base at all...

Now after calling around, I went back to an old vet I had quit going to
I didn't like at all, my last dog Buddy, had gone to had changed hands
& a coinciedence it was now owned by the younger brother of my last vet,
it's now under new ownership of sorts, different management...
Far better people & care about the animals & not just an income source...

Took days to get him in, they are busy as hell, not enough "GOOD" vets here...
I didn't want to travel 60+ miles down to the valley, Oakdale or even farther to like Modesto
if I could help it...
I had the stuff under control, for now...
Not an emergency yet...
I cleaned it up as good as possible & wrapped & treated it, best I could
stopped the bleeding, clean the bandage etc.

So I went down to the other vet, Sierra Vet Clinic, further down into lower Sonora
some 15+ miles away, no big deal, just a lil' further down the hill
dropped him off, they get to him as soon as they could, do a triage assement...
take worst 1st...
Dropped off at 10-ish am, picked him up done & ready to go at 4-ish pm...
Some really helpful & informative dr. retired vet lady, does special surgeries
part-time occasionally...
I like being kept in the loop & informed, always or I go somewhere else...
I won't say her name here, without her permission, she is good...
She came in, just to do the surgery, and remove the growth,
she had also removed 2 more smaller ones in question, on the same foot
between the 2 outer toes, no big deal just a precaution...

He's now out of the bandages now, still on antibiotics for 7 days
never even acted like he was hurting at all
still hi-energy kamikaze dog, running after critters, squirrels & birds mostly...
I had to tame it down he has stitches still,
it had swelled up bad because he got a
"bacterial infection" from an abscessed 'ingrown hair', after she biopsied it,
right there, right after she removed it, right now, no waiting no extra charges etc.
I like this place now...
He has until next Friday, 12/29 they'll be removing the stitches
he'll be on antibiotics until Thursday...

So far so good

$594 surgery later
another $101 for meds,
mega dose 1,000 mg amoxicillin 2 times a day for 7 days
(2 x 500mg tablets 2x a day)
My Dad paid for all of it, when I went to take the dog out to pee...
He had just woke up after being in the cage, he needed to pee bad...
That was a nice surprise, I had full intention of paying for it
Dad he said;
"he's his furry grandson, he was glad to do it"
Merry Christmas

Elvis does love his Grandpa, dad loves Elvis too...

Elvis after surgury abscesses on his foot 002.JPG
Elvis after surgury abscesses on his foot 003.JPG
Elvis r-f paw surgery cist bacterial infection - ingrown hair 003.JPG
Elvis r-f paw surgery cist bacterial infection - ingrown hair 002.JPG

sorry no good photos

Wall of Text was really this -big kitten-.jpg

Last edited:
That's a handsome Catahoula!

Mine arrived as a dump -

View attachment 1577672

He came with explosive diarea which he did his best to hold in, but as soon as I'd take him out of the house he'd run off and go boooom!

The vet cured him, but not before he let one loose in middle of the night. Worst clean up I've ever had. He even put it into a box fan. I had to clean diarea off all those little slats, but he's worth it. Ever since then he's been as close to perfect as a dog can get.

Frank has a very southern accent. He doesn't bark often, but it's a distinctive wo-ooof, or baying when he trees something. The trait I have never seen in a dog before is how he runs full, or near full speed through tight places. When the dogs are chasing each other, Frank will run full speed under my 4wd pickup, tractors, or payloader and out the other side. I had my car trailer backed up to a building and when my Shepherd was chasing Frank, Frank ran and pretty much slid under the back of the trailer and then popped up running out the other side. The Shepherd hammered the brakes and had a WTF look...

IMG_20201014_153106143_HDR.jpgVID_20200803_195439773_exported_449_1600498039543.jpgIMG_20220625_201707768~2.jpgVID_20230423_185539271_exported_797~3.jpgVID_20210821_202115390_exported_2359.jpg

I guess they are a herding dog, but they are also excellent for hunting feral hogs. The way Frank can hotrod through obstacles and brush, I can see how they got that reputation.

Last edited:
My dog Elvis had an ingrown hair between his toes
he licks his feet a lot, he had a spot where he'd licked it raw
if you didn't stop him
I'd soak each affected foot in hydrogen peroxide
& put an antiseptic ointment/clear cream on them after
I'd dry them off
it was never a big problem, seemed to go away quick...
I didn't know, I just figured they were hot spots from licking it...

All of a sudden about 4 weeks ago it/lil' lump size of a pea now
I just noticed, started to swell, he'd lick it bad, when not in sight of me or dad
& after a couple weeks, it got/grew to the size of big bean
then one day still looking for a good vet, 4 days in now, it burst, all bloody
gross, no more waiting, need someone to take him in now...

I'm fearing the worst, the big "C"
:praying: thank goodness it wasn't

My reg. vet 20 years, like 10+ miles away upper Sonora
(Mono Way Large Animal Vet. Clinic)
dr. had retired, like 3 months ago, with no notice to the customer base at all...

Now after calling around, I went back to an old vet I had quit going to
I didn't like at all, my last dog Buddy, had gone to had changed hands
& a coinciedence it was now owned by the younger brother of my last vet,
it's now under new ownership of sorts, different management...
Far better people & care about the animals & not just an income source...

Took days to get him in, they are busy as hell, not enough "GOOD" vets here...
I didn't want to travel 60+ miles down to the valley, Oakdale or even farther to like Modesto
if I could help it...
I had the stuff under control, for now...
Not an emergency yet...
I cleaned it up as good as possible & wrapped & treated it, best I could
stopped the bleeding, clean the bandage etc.

So I went down to the other vet, Sierra Vet Clinic, further down into lower Sonora
some 15+ miles away, no big deal, just a lil' further down the hill
dropped him off, they get to him as soon as they could, do a triage assement...
take worst 1st...
Dropped off at 10-ish am, picked him up done & ready to go at 4-ish pm...
Some really helpful & informative dr. retired vet lady, does special surgeries
part-time occasionally...
I like being kept in the loop & informed, always or I go somewhere else...
I won't say her name here, without her permission, she is good...
She came in, just to do the surgery, and remove the growth,
she had also removed 2 more smaller ones in question, on the same foot
between the 2 outer toes, no big deal just a precaution...

He's now out of the bandages now, still on antibiotics for 7 days
never even acted like he was hurting at all
still hi-energy kamikaze dog, running after critters, squirrels & birds mostly...
I had to tame it down he has stitches still,
it had swelled up bad because he got a
"bacterial infection" from an abscessed 'ingrown hair', after she biopsied it,
right there, right after she removed it, right now, no waiting no extra charges etc.
I like this place now...
He has until next Friday, 12/29 they'll be removing the stitches
he'll be on antibiotics until Thursday...

So far so good

$594 surgery later
another $101 for meds,
mega dose 1,000 mg amoxicillin 2 times a day for 7 days
(2 x 500mg tablets 2x a day)
My Dad paid for all of it, when I went to take the dog out to pee...
He had just woke up after being in the cage, he needed to pee bad...
That was a nice surprise, I had full intention of paying for it
Dad he said;
"he's his furry grandson, he was glad to do it"
Merry Christmas

Elvis does love his Grandpa, dad loves Elvis too...

View attachment 1577922View attachment 1577924View attachment 1577925View attachment 1577926

sorry no good photos

View attachment 1577840

I drive over 30 miles one way to go to a decent vet. I've had bad experiences with the nearby vet clinics.

The last one was completely run and staffed by women. It's been my experience when this is the case, the controlling btchs in the group have to change everything that makes sense and fundamentals that have worked well for generations.

I had to drop Frank off at the front desk and then leave and wait hours just to get a response. There was a bunch of horse$hit papers to sign saying I'm responsible for all costs for anything they do... I wrote in that no procedures will be done without my consent.

Getting paid for doing a service is a given and they can pursue that in court if necessary... Signing away all control and consent to whatever, at whatever costs takes away your right to contest any bill, no matter how insane...

When I went to pick up Frank, I waited amoung 3 other people and their dogs by the front counter. When the "Doctor" brought Frank out, a Labradoodle with evidently no training barked constantly at Frank. She tried to tell me what she did for about 5 seconds, but I couldn't hear her... She then just got frustrated and walked away.... Nice.

The vet and very his very knowledgeable and nice female tech that I have to drive 30+ miles to, has you bring your dog into a separate room, weigh them, ask many questions and answer any questions. He showed me on my Shepherd, the redness between his toes and said his itching is not from fleas or dry skin, but was from an allergy. He swabbed his ears and tested that with no separate charges.

The other vet clinic full of commie women charged double for the basic visit, charged to draw fluid from Frank's cyst and charged again to test that fluid. They also wanted to charge an additional $30 to swab his ear. Before the appointment, I had to email Frank's issues and symptoms. Our society is deteriorating at so many levels. Especially common sense and social skills that are so important throughout life. The high noses and low integrity are also becoming the norm. Remember when people had integrity?

Your avatar picture hits home.

In high school I drove the red '68 300, '70 Runner, '69 Runner with Satellite hood and S Bee scoops and the '69 Sport Satellite. I bought the '68 Fury my senior year, but it needed an engine. The burgundy 300 I bought just after graduation.

This was from 1983-1987. I was making $3.10 at a restaurant at 15 years old and then $4.00 at a tire store. None of them ran and drove when I bought them.

IMG_20231115_120424229~3.jpgIMG_20231115_123333113~2.jpgIMG_20170601_224302801.jpgIMG_20231115_123311801~2.jpgIMG_20170819_182638639.jpgIMG_20170819_182604065.jpg

Last edited:
Just tried a new vet, at the urging of the gf. All young, all fast -talking high-pitched female shop, not a man in sight. I'm slightly hard of hearing, sounds are okay, voices not so much. I got about one word out of three, asked for a repeat about ten times. Finally told her to talk slower.
But I sure heard the price of the bill at the end of an hour and a quarter wait, and a five minute consult with the doctor, and a bortadella sniff (spelling?). $110. Twice, once for each dog. And we don't take checks (which the other vet happily does).

If I had my way, I don't think they'd ever see me again.

I love the Catahoula "go outside and tell the world about it" bark.

If you want to meet CHICKS, you might consider becoming a Veterinarian, a TARGET employee or a mental health professional.

Go to a hatchery in the spring. They have thousands of chicks... : )

Auto Transport Service
Back