• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning for pet owners!

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
I had a situation happen last night that may concern those that have pets.
Last night, two of our dogs were in the back yard after 9:00 PM alone. Often times we get some various wildlife pass through the yard. Squirrels, mice, raccoons, coyotes, sometimes stray cats and dogs. I’ve even seen deer a couple of times.
They often chase the intruders away and we stand back and laugh…
Last night they chased something into a corner where I had some scrap stashed away. Both dogs came out happy and friendly when we called them in but they were cut up and bloody.

After vet visits totaling over $4000 between the two, I walked the yard today
E2E72B0E-BF00-4789-87D5-6AF70B395278.jpeg

There was some scrap from a truck bed I cut up a week or so ago. The edges were sharp enough to cut. The dog above had a deep laceration on her left ear that looks like a knife cut, not from a tooth or claw.
They chased something and either tangled with it or just got ensnared in the metal panels and got cut as a result.
I feel terrible that they are hurt. I’m going to move all of this stuff to the other side of the fence to avoid a repeat of this.
My advice?
Please consider the simple mindedness of pets that play in the yard. I’m very careful to wipe up anti freeze spills but stuff like metal scrap never occurred to me. Both of the dogs look like they ran through razor wire in a few spots. They looked and acted like dogs caught playing in the mud… tails wagging and happy.
Once the pain kicked in, they were miserable.

I had a situation happen last night that may concern those that have pets.
Last night, two of our dogs were in the back yard after 9:00 PM alone. Often times we get some various wildlife pass through the yard. Squirrels, mice, raccoons, coyotes, sometimes stray cats and dogs. I’ve even seen deer a couple of times.
They often chase the intruders away and we stand back and laugh…
Last night they chased something into a corner where I had some scrap stashed away. Both dogs came out happy and friendly when we called them in but they were cut up and bloody.

After vet visits totaling over $4000 between the two, I walked the yard todayView attachment 1498481
There was some scrap from a truck bed I cut up a week or so ago. The edges were sharp enough to cut. The dog above had a deep laceration on her left ear that looks like a knife cut, not from a tooth or claw.
They chased something and either tangled with it or just got ensnared in the metal panels and got cut as a result.
I feel terrible that they are hurt. I’m going to move all of this stuff to the other side of the fence to avoid a repeat of this.
My advice?
Please consider the simple mindedness of pets that play in the yard. I’m very careful to wipe up anti freeze spills but stuff like metal scrap never occurred to me. Both of the dogs look like they ran through razor wire in a few spots. They looked and acted like dogs caught playing in the mud… tails wagging and happy.
Once the pain kicked in, they were miserable.
That’s a sad thing. Unfortunately they don’t know all the dangers that can be. I hope they heal up quickly and get back to being healthy happy pups. Pits (I’ve had many) are great dogs. Unfortunately they can be tenacious when they’re playing or protecting. Too much for their own good at times.

I rarely agree with you, DR but I thank you for this response. I do appreciate the kind words. Thank you again.

Thanks for the heads up. You've been having a run of bad luck lately, it'll turn the other way soon I'm sure.
The good news is the dogs both made it.

Glad your dogs are ok Greg, Im guilty with stuff laying around in my yard. I better walk the yard and check because Riley and Thor are bad when they lock on to something. They block everything out. Thanks for the heads up.

damn..... I just cleaned up; but yeah I guess I've been lucky........ Rebel had his nose in an iron pipe going after something and tore himself up, but nothing like that

Greg, I'm sorry it happened,...... but Happy the dogs will be OK....... they're a lot tougher than us

Very relieved to see they're going to be ok - and that you've removed the likely cause of the trauma, Greg!

Worst Sasha ever got into almost killed her - and took a while for me to solve the mystery of:
She had been drinking stagnant water from a gutter downspout that didn't drain well after rain,
which wreaked havoc on her innards.
Once I followed her one morning, I figured it out and told the vet to prescribe antibiotics and steroids....
She recovered nicely from that, after all but being dead.

A good post and a good reminder to all of us with pets as part of our family. I hope your dogs heal well and recuperate quickly !

Sorry to hear that your dogs were injured. Thankfully they will recover.

A good reminder to all to watch out for hazards, to our pets and ourselves. Sometimes they're not obvious... One of our last dogs got overly excited racing for the front door, wiped out on the tile and caught his back leg on the door hinge (door opens out) cutting it wide open. Lots of blood and a trip to the vet for some stitches. Thankfully he didn't cut his Achilles tendon.

Our family dog caught the back of her leg on the underside of a kitchen cabinet while playing and cut the tendon. Vet patched her up and said she'd be fine, but she never used that leg again though it didn't seem to bother her.

I've got a back yard, and a back back yard. Lots of plants and junk that could injure my dogs. Until there has been a major cleanup, they aren't allowed back there. That was decided by my girlfriend, but I agree with the decision.
Sorry for your dogs injuries Greg, glad they are gonna be okay. I hurt too when one of mine gets hurt.

Dynamo is the other one...

IMG_E8698.JPG

She got a few small cuts but broke her right front leg! So sad.
They will recover but I always feel bad for injured pets. I keep the yard clear of fallen branches, high grass, all the yard tools are neatly stowed too. This one area I stashed some scraps for quick disposal, then got busy with the home repairs, then I fell....By tomorrow, there should be no more sharp hazards.

Sorry to hear about your kids getting injured Greg, it's so easy to leave hazards around without realizing you've done it... You recognize the danger & expect other will do the same.... Unfortunately Dogs focus on the task at hand & block anything getting in their way...Wishing a quick recovery for both pooches...

It is true...the dogs get locked onto a target and get blind to anything else around them...tearing through brush, obstacles, tire piles, anything when in pursuit of the critters. I'm sure that they didn't even think of how bad they were hurt until whatever it was got away and their adrenaline subsided.

Damn Greg, you've had a rough time lately! Pups are family members, sorry yours got banged up / cut.
Dogs are so resilient - more than we are! I hope better things are coming your way.

Aww man...poor pooches. That does suck but good to know they'll recover. Thanks for the reminder. After I read this and went out and did a scan, and found and old broken broom handle that had some screws sticking out in an area our dogs frequent.

Auto Transport Service
Back