• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning for pet owners!

I was walking my new dog today and someone left broken glass on the road, I freaked for a second checked out her paws and all was good.
I never saw it till it was too late. She's been doing pretty good. My legs and back aren't, we're doing about 5 miles a day, I'm not used to it at all.
PXL_20230722_233823609.jpg

Best wishes to you Kern Dog and the critters ! Thank God for insurance!

It looks like the insurance will pay close to 90% of the bills.

SKOR.JPG

SCORE !

Hey, KD
How are the dogs doing?
My dog, Tripper, will pursue a target
regardless of concern for himself.
Cracked a hock in pursuit of a ferrol
cat. He still limps when
over-stressing that leg.
I don't have a scrap pile of metal
in my yard.
His foot got caught in a gopher hole
while running full speed across the
yard.
Don't be too hard on yourself.

Last edited:
What company do you use?
What's the cost?
Our Vet prices are climbing after the owner retired and sold, still better care and cheaper than others in the area.
Thanks
The name is TruPanion. I can get more details later when the wife has a few minutes free from work.
As is often the case, SHE is the administrator of that stuff. I'm taller and stronger so I do the heavy lifting and grunt work.

1 laugh 3.jpg

Last edited:
You got lucky on the insurance. Years ago when we had it, we were lucky to get maybe 20% back. And that was after my wife went round and round on the phone with them.

For you fellow 4 legged buddy parents, there is something you may not be aware of that all of us have around. Coolant. As you know, major league bad news for critters since it's like drinking Koolaid. What many are not aware of is that factory, oe coolant that you would purchase from the dealer that is manufacture branded, not aftermarket, contains a compound called Bitrex. What this does is make the coolant taste bad so they won't consume it. I've only seen this on Mopar, GM etc. I've never seen this in parts store coolants, although some brands may have it. You would need to check the label or MSDS info to verify. Therefore, only oe Mopar is in my garage.

I always do engine break in with straight water since I don't know if there will be any leaks and IF there are, I'm not losing money or endangering my pets. When I've opened the cooling system, I make sure the Wife knows so we can keep the pets away until I clean up whatever may have spilled.
They don't lick oil or ATF drips. They don't care for brake fluid either. Coolant smells sweet.
In 2013, I had a scare.
I was changing from an A/C pulley and belt arrangement to a Non A/C and got some drips from the water pump area of my Power Wagon. Our 2 year old Border Collie swooped in and licked the concrete when I wasn't looking. I rushed him to the emergency vet and he was given treatment and was fine.
Never again. I am very careful about it now.

My dogs don't have access to the garage (detached) - they've never been around the fluids and I'm not going to start now. I have a fenced yard for them, and treat it like a "baby-proofed" house. Parts, trash, all that stuff stays out of the yard. Once in a while I'll come home and find a headless groundhog, but that's life in the country! Last week, there was a 4' black snake they were trying to get rid of. Everyone was bloodied and Kona (my 1yr pit mix) has a spot on her neck that looks almost like an abrasion that won't go away - gonna talk to the vet about that one, apparently those bites can have bad effects on doggies.

Glad yours are on the mend!

That sucks, man.

I'm always trying to think of what my cats might do IE jumping on something that's not balanced, opening a cabinet with chemicals, knocking sharp objects or open liquids off of things, etc.

They WILL find things you didn't think of.

As a kid, about 7 or 8 years old we had an incident with antifreeze which led to the death of (3) of our new kittens and our German Shepherd. I knocked a box of cat food off the shelf in the garage into a drain pan full of antifreeze under our '62 Chevy. Not knowing the toxicity of it at the time, I picked the box back up and put it back on the shelf. The kittens got fed that contaminated food, and our Shepherd cleaned up the leftovers like usual. Within a week or so, all dead. Brutal week as they all fell ill when poisoned. That horrific memory is at the forefront of my mind every time there is antifreeze around whether it be in a container or a spill. I will never let that happen again to any animal in my charge if I can help it.

This was a few years before that happened. That's me. To the right was our Shepherd "Dawn". Wonderful dog. Sucks to think if I would have known better, she may have had a shot at a more graceful exit from this earth. But I never let her death be in vain. I've sounded the alarm of caution about antifreeze to everyone I could ever since. Hopefully even this post helps save someone's pet someday. RIP Dawn.

1690310388684.png

As many of you know I rescue stray puppies, I can relate the pain to your pain watching your dogs injured, they are family and all they deserve is love and protection, they be ok thank God, but please clean your back yard of sharply stuff.

Last edited:
Glad to see the animals are recovering!!
A good friend lost his dog to antifreeze poisoning decades ago. I never forgot that lesson. All they have to do is step in it and then lick their paws. I really try to avoid doing the cooling system at home. When I have too, I put down a plastic tarp and then the catch basin. Keep my K9 locked in the house and wash down everything with soap and lots of water.

Having just moved in, I've been in cleaning mode. Still, I have to get rid of this burn pit the previous idiots left, there's metal and glass in it. My new neighbor has a tractor with a loader, so we're going to wipe that clean.

The lawn isn't perfect, but its thick and green. :thumbsup:

71183182650__884F6C44-88A3-40E4-B442-0E2213E6C87F.jpg

Something my wife found out about some years ago about using a Swiffer unit around the house. The chemicals in it leave a residue behind that the dogs of course get exposed to since they are essentially bare foot. Lick the paws, ingest it, vet time. We don't use Swiffer's here.

No kidding?
We have those.....Hardwood floors too. I'll have to make sure the floors are fully dry before letting them out.
Our dogs get LOTs of water here....whatever they ingest, it gets diluted plenty.

At out old place down south, it was 1800sqft of tile. I mopped it a once a month, rest of the time I used the suck o lux. Thats when she found out about the Swiffer's. I would use a solution on the floor, usually purple cleaner for one go around then go to 4-6 buckets of straight water for the second round. Janitor style bucket and rasta head mop. Funny side note. I would put the mop heads on the dogs we had at the time and take pictures of them. Rasta Dogs! Didn't keep the picture though. Funny stuff. One black GS with a white Rasta doo was very funny.

Auto Transport Service
Back