• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was a 400 V-8 available in a base 1972 Satellite?

Dibbons

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
No rallye dash (see speedo) and it has the 400 CID engine. Just wondering if it really was a stock powerplant? Thank you.

I do NOT know for sure.... but I don't think so. I'm sure somebody here knows that answer.

Scratching my head, I believe the 2-bbl 400 was available, while the 4-bbl was standard in the RR and optional in the Sebring Plus. That's from memory, not etched in stone.

72_Satellite_5.jpg

72_Satellite_17.jpg

Back in Mid 70's I bought at Auction a fleet of 72 Base Satellite Cp that were 400 4 Brl
that were manual steering / Air / power disc brakes from LAPD. I believe they were used
be the Detectives.

Back in Mid 70's I bought at Auction a fleet of 72 Base Satellite Cp that were 400 4 Brl
that were manual steering / Air / power disc brakes from LAPD. I believe they were used
be the Detectives.
Maybe a police-spec package that was not available to the gen pop? I honestly don't know, it's just a thought.

That's interesting that when specifying the optional 4-bbl 400 CID it includes front and rear sway bars.

That's interesting that when specifying the optional 4-bbl 400 CID it includes front and rear sway bars.
As I recall they had both front and rear sway bars plus a cloth interior unlike the patrol cars. it is
almost 50 yeara ago but I am pretty sure that is correct.

VIN for OP car is "M", which was the 2 barrel version.

The 4 barrel version WAS available as VIN code "P".

I think the 440-4 was also available as it was on the Charger.

Typically the 400-2 and 400-4 were available in almost everything, kind of like the 383 was previously.

What typically wasn't available in anything other than R/T/Rallye, RR, Bee, was the 340.

...but in 74 the 360 4 barrel was available in almost anything.

According to that, the 400-4 was available across the entire line.

However the 440 was not available even in the SSP.

I've seen several WP and WH Chargers with factory U code 440 engines.

Very interesting.

By this time the government war on muscle cars was on and insurance companies were charging more for muscle car names. So car manufacturers would put hi performance engines in anything. But Chrysler always did that.

Auto Transport Service
Back