• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Pump housing Question?

Myasylum

Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
Just realized the drivers side vs. Passenger side water pump housing debacle.
I bought an aluminum one where the inlet is on the driver's side, stock it is the passenger side.
It has an aftermarket radiator with the tube for the drivers side. This car also has power steering and Air Conditioning.
It doesn't seem like there will be enough room to use this housing in the drivers side. So will I have to get a new passenger side housing or can I make the new drivers side housing work?
Anyone go through this?

Thanks!

What are you working on? Year, engine, any photos, might help us, help you.

Sounds like a "can of worms", if you change one thing, it makes everything else not fit. Just my opinion.

Would be more trouble and expensive than it's worth. MO

Its a 72 Satellite with a 400. Power Steering and Air Conditioning. I don't think there will be room for the hose on the Drivers side. Grr...

I didn't even know about it till after I bought the housing. This project has been one situation after another.

Its a 72 Satellite with a 400. Power Steering and Air Conditioning. I don't think there will be room for the hose on the Drivers side. Grr...

I didn't even know about it till after I bought the housing. This project has been one situation after another.
Any photos?

Later big blocks had pump inlet on passenger side, but I don't know what exact year this started. They should have done this right from the start. Things get a little crowded around driver's side inlet with power steering pump and oil filter.

The block says 73 but the car is a 72?!

Try a lower hose for a 66-383 both my cars have power steering and they fit.
Don't know how AC affects the space.

Just realized the drivers side vs. Passenger side water pump housing debacle.
I bought an aluminum one where the inlet is on the driver's side, stock it is the passenger side.
It has an aftermarket radiator with the tube for the drivers side. This car also has power steering and Air Conditioning.
It doesn't seem like there will be enough room to use this housing in the drivers side. So will I have to get a new passenger side housing or can I make the new drivers side housing work?
Anyone go through this?

Thanks!
Easier just to send the radiator you have back and get the correct one. If it is too late to send it back you can take a small loss and sell the one you have on here or eBay then buy a new one.

Easier just to send the radiator you have back and get the correct one. If it is too late to send it back you can take a small loss and sell the one you have on here or eBay then buy a new one.
The way I read it both the radiator and the pump housing are drivers side.
Getting a different radiator is only half of what he might need?

My 69 Charger with a 528 hemi has everything on the drivers side.

Could always make up with hose and tube and route to the other side, did that with a SB motor and BB Radiator till got the BB done

Could I get a picture of how everything in run? Thanks!

000_1374.JPG

Well, thanks. Not exactly what I had in mind, lol. Your engine is this beautiful modified machine. I was hoping for a picture of a more stockish looking motor with the outlet on the passenger side.

Here's one. (Extra credit if you can tell why I took the picture)
1659029724176.png

1659030448267.png

Last edited:
Well, thanks. Not exactly what I had in mind, lol. Your engine is this beautiful modified machine. I was hoping for a picture of a more stockish looking motor with the outlet on the passenger side.
I don't get it. In your first post you said you had a drivers side pump outlet and a radiator for the drivers side also. You thought there is not enough room for everything to fit. I offered a photo showing everything does fit. Gates 20609 hose is all you need and 2 clamps. You asked for a photo. Everything you have will work so whats the problem.

I don't get it. In your first post you said you had a drivers side pump outlet and a radiator for the drivers side also. You thought there is not enough room for everything to fit. I offered a photo showing everything does fit. Gates 20609 hose is all you need and 2 clamps. You asked for a photo. Everything you have will work so whats the problem.
The hose squeezes through between the belts? That's a tight one.

I agree, go drivers side. The p/s pulley is the area to look at , if any

AS I understand it, the passenger side pump inlet for the bb cars started with the 73 year. My stock 73 pump was adequate in hooking up with a aftermarket rad that was made to fit as a stock 73 replacement. 72 and earlier rads were not easily adaptable to pass. side pump inlet.

Auto Transport Service
Back