• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weeding out the scammers

On my previous post. Got to thinking that the admins should not have to do the vetting for people. I mean they have already established a great place to get information and parts. I dont think that the burden should be bared by the admins. My initial thoughts were intended to vet out scammers.
However, like I said people need to do their own vetting. So I scratch my previous statement. Its not like the Admins want all the responsibility to make sure deals go down correct. Then if something goes south who gets blamed? The admin that "vetted" the seller.

First I'd like to say I am not siding with the seller mentioned in the first post! I think that whole thing circles back to buyer beware. It's always better to actually see it before buying. With that being said. Changing things here so some members can't sell on the site, is not right. I'm sure there are a lot of members who have to sell things to fund their projects. Even though it does seem like the way to fix problems now days, is to take rights away from good people because douche bags are screwing everything up.
Once again, it sucks that it's even a thing to post in the first place. I am certainly not saying any member should not be able to sell. After all, buying and selling is one of the valuable features of being a member and I absolutely agree that buyers also have a resonsibility but crooks these days are pretty savvy. I'm just saying that free advertising on a site dedicated to a thing also draws the thieves. There are some outstanding people on this site that are true to their word but you don't have to look very hard to find numerous complaints about being ripped off. Buyers fault? You decide.

I buy and sell stuff on here from time to time. I like it a lot, and respect the process....but know, that issues in quality and worth are always going to present discussion. Fraud is a different category all together. Look to the seller's rating as your compass, and if there is none, get as many written assurances as you an get away with before you pull the trigger. Burning folks on this site is a terrible idea if you ever plan to be a hobbyist...and that should keep most honest.

Maybe the sellers should have to submit name address and phone number to the admins before they can post for sale ads.

that sounds like a good start. the admins could cross check there info to vet the address for the seller and the buyer would check with the BOSS'ES to see if legit ? maybe say a part under a said dollar amount would be on the buyer but say over 300.00 ?

and how exactly do I do that?

Later I retracted my post. And thought about you guys and the amount of work and burden this would be on you. It should not be on you to do this and I stated that in a later post.

Yeah, it would have to be something (if anything) that would be membership based. Admin does an outstanding job but it's too big to watchdog like that. IDK, gotta be a wayto limit the field without all that

Personally, Joey and the mods do a phenomenal job policing this big site.......They handle the scammers once they are confirmed or found out by them......We as members do our due diligence to aid in that effort.....

Now back to the "ripped" thread....I am sorry but to come out the gate placing a bit of "blame" on this forum was VERY inappropriate and unwarranted...It basically stated we really are not that good and the management doesnt do their job....

Meanwhile, the OP hence BUYER bought a car site unseen based on crap images, crap information, verbiage from a crack head, explored ZERO resources here, did not send someone or himself to inspect the car..........REALY! Is this how dumb our society has become........

Even if I know you, if I purchase a car I will have it inspected by me or someone else........

The scammer is completely at fault but man you have to use your brain.............

Yeah, it would have to be something (if anything) that would be membership based. Admin does an outstanding job but it's too big to watchdog like that. IDK, gotta be a wayto limit the field without all that

Most forums I am on, you can not post a Classified until you have at least 50 posts!

9 times out of 10 - the "problem" is something none of that would catch. These things usually boil down to a part not being in the condition the buyer thought it would be. These arent scams IMO, but more a lack of communication. Now some people may take advantage or be a bit slimy in their description, but that isnt something verifying people or a seller having more posts is going to fix. That is something the buyer needs to be more diligent about. Use paypal, do not use friends and family, talk on the phone, ask questions, ask for more photos, consider the seller's history or lack of it --- stuff like that.

The true scammers are people who come here with one intent, robbing our members. And I have done quite a bit to weed those people out and keep them off the sites. You can't stop them all, but I keep trying.

Personally, Joey and the mods do a phenomenal job policing this big site.......They handle the scammers once they are confirmed or found out by them......We as members do our due diligence to aid in that effort.....

Now back to the "ripped" thread....I am sorry but to come out the gate placing a bit of "blame" on this forum was VERY inappropriate and unwarranted...It basically stated we really are not that good and the management doesnt do their job....

Meanwhile, the OP hence BUYER bought a car site unseen based on crap images, crap information, verbiage from a crack head, explored ZERO resources here, did not send someone or himself to inspect the car..........REALY! Is this how dumb our society has become........

Even if I know you, if I purchase a car I will have it inspected by me or someone else........

The scammer is completely at fault but man you have to use your brain.............
Point well taken and as I already stated, admin is great here and I most certainly did not intend imply that admin had any failure at all. I was just thinking that there could be some way to limit access by those that would misrepresent themselves here.
Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree that we have to be responsible for our own action. Maybe just overthinking it all. I respect your opinion here Justin.

9 times out of 10 - the "problem" is something none of that would catch. These things usually boil down to a part not being in the condition the buyer thought it would be. These arent scams IMO, but more a lack of communication. Now some people may take advantage or be a bit slimy in their description, but that isnt something verifying people or a seller having more posts is going to fix. That is something the buyer needs to be more diligent about. Use paypal, do not use friends and family, talk on the phone, ask questions, ask for more photos, consider the seller's history or lack of it --- stuff like that.

The true scammers are people who come here with one intent, robbing our members. And I have done quite a bit to weed those people out and keep them off the sites. You can't stop them all, but I keep trying.
And I thank you. In hindsight, I feel that maybe my post was not well thought out because it is not your job to control or litigate sales and purchases. Thanks for all you do to make this a great site.

Point well taken and as I already stated, admin is great here and I most certainly did not intend imply that admin had any failure at all. I was just thinking that there could be some way to limit access by those that would misrepresent themselves here.
Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree that we have to be responsible for our own action. Maybe just overthinking it all. I respect your opinion here Justin.
Bill...I know you nor didn't take it that way........You have every intention to protect all of us and that is of key importance....

It would be nice if that was possible in some way......

The person that started that thread in that way is what irritated me........I get it that he is pissed off and any of us would be but to put a dig at the forum was inappropriate.....He used ZERO resource here to make a logical decision....

I have bought parts and sold parts here. Look at the feedback and go from there. I think new members should Have to be active and on for at least 6 months before selling. Thats my 2 cents.

Well i have not sold anything on this site I have bought many times , and never had a problem but being reg for a period of time or agold member would def help . and as always buyer has a responsiblety in sale .

As far as taking away the for sale ads u just have to look at big lock dart.com. They did that for awhile many years ago and never recovered. They were 1 of the best sights on the net. It is pretty sad to go there and see that almost no members and nothing going on. I mention on FABO years ago to charge $1.00 per ad. That was a no go. Even a dollar would keep some of the riff raff away. It would also fund the site for upgrades. U can go on FABO and see a whole page of ads bumped to the top from 1 seller. In the ads it is required to have location and pics. Location is hardly ever enforced. I have no idea where a certain town is sometimes as 2 or 3 States can have the same town or city. Or where the hell is zip 8675309? I hope it gets enforced with town/city and State/province etc. Pics are enforced. Kim

Just my two cents, but here goes:
I think six months of membership and contributing before selling, and gold membership.
If you’re selling you’re making money on the site. And it’ll help stop some of the dipshits that post dumb stuff.
Totally agree with you, a well known member/ gold member with an active participation is a must if you want to sell here.

I'm fairly new to this site, and I agree that us newbies need to "pay our dues", in some manner, before we are entitled to full benefits of the site. As of now, I'm overwhelmed (in a good way) as to the amount of info and knowledge contained here. I didn't join to post cars and parts for sale. That's just a bonus. And changing times means adaptation - in other words, with the issues of scammers and frauds, change the rules, cuz it doesn't have to be "well, that's the way we've always done it".

Well i have not sold anything on this site I have bought many times , and never had a problem but being reg for a period of time or agold member would def help . and as always buyer has a responsiblety in sale .

I disagree. If one was to to rip someone off for $7,000 on a hardtop convertible Frankenstein I don't think $40 would stand in thier way. Common sense at one point needs to applied when spending $$$ site unseen, person unknown....

@kiwigtx
Whatchu think?
Thank you for thinking of me Bill. :thumbsup:

My opinion doesn't count anymore than anyone else's around here. But for what it's worth (I think there's an acronym for that), I believe that some sort of restriction on being able to sell is food for thought.

Time restriction doesn't count, as there are some here who joined 10 years ago, and have less than 20 posts to their names.

A serious fraudster will look at the $40 for a Gold membership, and convince themselves that it's their right to rip people off, as they have paid to be in the "Club".

The best and possibly safest way to approach Buying & selling is to study the Feedback system, and also posts by seller/buyer as the case may be. If EVERYONE used the Feedback system correctly AND honestly, then we would find a bit better sense of security here.

The eBag feedback system is flawed - at least the last time I tried to write a negative comment on crappy products, I wasn't able to.

People power here is the key. Most of us are aware of the regular sellers with a good feedback and reputation - we should support those guys. After all, they have parts that we all need at times. Even guys who don't sell often, but are always on the boards AND commenting, I would say are pretty much all trustworthy (although don't take my word 100% for that) :D

Anyone here who is willing to post up pictures of their face & cars, I would have no hesitation in dealing with - though guys obviously have nothing to hide.

I would never trust anyone who has never posted up pictures of their car or face, and have never offered anything of any consequence to this site.

****And finally (for now) If anyone ever has doubts about doing a deal with a member, feel free to send Private Conversation messages to other members, and ask their opinion....it can't hurt.

There are plenty of members here who belong to other sites, and have seen regular commentary by them elsewhere.....it all counts. That's what Employers do these days....they look into Farcebook profiles etc to see what sort of weirdo they're about to take on. :)

wgkf1.jpg

:lol:

Assuming this forum runs on VBulletin 5 There are ways of doing restricted members and only allow postings to certain areas once they reach a post count. This thread on the vbulletin site give examples of how to achieve this. VBulletin This is not me telling you how to run your site.. I am just trying to offer up some helpful info. As I stated before I dont think the burden should be on the Admins. Sellers and Buyers should do their own research before they get in over their head.

Auto Transport Service
Back