• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weighted torque converter timing?

Nismobishi

Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
On a cast crank 440, I want to make sure my torque converter is in the right spot. What position should the weight be in if say the harmonic balancer is at TDC? OR can it only bolt on 1 way? From the research I've done it looks like it can go in 4 different postions?

Last edited:
Nope just 1. Chrysler did that so there wouldn't be any confusion out in the field.
1 bolt hole is off.

If I find that mine is not weighted, can I weld the weight on while the trans is in the car, through the inspection cover?

Yes. But are you good at welding ...
Don't want to put too much heat into it.

Yep, I have a mig but I'm very experienced at making clean welds in the short spurts.
That is good to know, thank you!

The weight is opposite the tiny hole in the flex plate close to the crank bolts. Kim
And if I recall, the 440 gets 2 weights, one on each side of the drain plug.

I have a 73 motorhome 440. So when I'm looking through the inspection cover how will I know which flat to put the weights on? There are 4 options.

That's great! Thank you! So just 1 weld bead across the bottom is ok like in that picture? I don't want a weight flying off through the floor of the car and hitting me in the corroded artery!

Screenshot_20230322_110441_Chrome.jpg

Me, I would do the flex plate with the bite out of it. Would not have to wonder about weld quality then. Plus gives you the advantage of using other non weighted converters which can be a little easier to find.

Auto Transport Service
Back