• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding help please. Can't get the machine to start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a manual for your welder. Would be interesting to see a picture of your manual.
wq.JPG

Polarity won't affect whether or not the circuit is completed. Even if you have the polarity reversed a complete circuit should still be melting metal. The polarity will only affect the quality of weld.

The ground clamp is the one on the right. It is labeled as positive. This is the way the manual said to set it up for wire feed. So is that correct?

The ground clamp should be negative for solid wire mig welding. The anode (wire feeder mechanism) should be positive. If this is not clear then post a pic of your connections so we can all be sure you have the wiring correct.

Just for giggles the diagram posted on thread #21 is for flux core welding. It should be reversed for solid wire welding.

Dan

The cable on the right goes to the ground clamp. I'll get a picture of the manual in a few minutes

20180224_133304.jpg

The switch at the top what is it for and have you tried it? Polarity switch?

Last edited:
This is the reason I hate to buy a “national” brand from Lowe’s,Depot,etc. Sometimes what they sell is a slightly different model/quality(?) then what you get at the manufacturers outlet. Lincoln has a very good reputation though, so I’m guessing you did something wrong(?).

The switch is for wire feed/gun. I've tried both ways after the wire feed didn't work. I'm thinking I missed something Oldbee

20180224_165752.jpg

Off topic but WTH. Guy in the Marines bought a high end stereo & hooked it up in SE Asia, complained no volume. Well the voltage plug was set at 240v(running 120v!). I set it right and said take it easy, blew out the speakers the same day!

I bought a Eastwood 135. The only hassle I had was getting the wire from welder to the tip. After two tries remove the wire sleeve and handle from welder got the wire out front. Put in the sleeve put handle back on and fed the wire.
I'd check the load button with welder off then on .

The only hassle I had was getting the wire from welder to the tip.

This is a common issue with any mig. The wire can hang up when it makes the transition from liner to tip or even won't go through the tip sometimes because the wire's been snipped and crushed to slightly larger than the tip hole.

Should have a cutter that surrounds the wire or diamond shape where it cuts. Worse part was the wire sprung on spool, 15 ft of scrap.

I always remove the tip before running the wire through........ and this thing should work without all this diagnosing........ take it back, you would like a 220 machine better anyway..........Love my Lincoln power mig 200, 12 years old, never a hiccup

I have this same welder I can take a picture of my setup. Also did you check to make sure you had a neutral at the outlet?

Have you tested for voltage at the posts?
I always remove the tip before running the wire through........ and this thing should work without all this diagnosing........ take it back, you would like a 220 machine better anyway..........Love my Lincoln power mig 200, 12 years old, never a hiccup
Power Mig 255 here. Buy it once and buy it right.

I wouldn't waste any more time on it. the thing doesn't work. take it back. make sure the next one works before you take it home

Personally i would check out the welding supply places in your area. Pay good money for a good machine. Take good care of it and it will always be worth the money you paid for it. I believe i could sell mine for more than i have in it. Ask about demo models...

I have this same welder I can take a picture of my setup. Also did you check to make sure you had a neutral at the outlet?
I've checked voltage at the outlet. Other things work in the outlet.

Looks like it's just going back. Someone really doesn't want me completing this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back