• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding help please. Can't get the machine to start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We call the "high" or "crazy" leg the opposite point in a delta with a split winding.

Never heard of a "high" leg in reference to a Y system.

Anyone ever heard of drinking butter milk if you are welding galvanized pipe?
Welding galvanized without the proper PPE is suicide. The milk might quench your thirst but it won’t do anything to prevent the onset of a slow painful death.

Ok, you can't be serious about not hitting the trigger !! How did you expect it to work otherwise - it might spark but it sure as hell won't feed wire or gas !!

What article are you referencing Mike?
How would you get 220 or 240 out of Y system?

I was thinking about 210.9 which I was wrong about...that reference is to autotransformers.
As far a a wye I'm thinking 3 phase commercial....Ive never been a residential electrician

83833.gif

Ok, you can't be serious about not hitting the trigger !! How did you expect it to work otherwise - it might spark but it sure as hell won't feed wire or gas !!
Where’s the LOL button?

I'm not a residential electrician either Mike.
That is a standard Y configuration that would net you 208v from phase to phase
The sum of 2 windings
and 120v phase to N.

I was thinking about 210.9 which I was wrong about...that reference is to autotransformers.
As far a a wye I'm thinking 3 phase commercial....Ive never been a residential electrician

View attachment 576198

I'm not a residential electrician either Mike.
That is a standard Y configuration that would net you 208v from phase to phase
The sum of 2 windings
and 120v phase to N.
You are correct...havent been a full time electrician in 14-15 yrs...old habits I guess.

I'm sure a grinder will be necessary after I'm done. I spoke with Lowe's today and was told.it has been longer than 30 days so they can't do anything. I'll start going over their head tomorrow to remedy the situation. Yeah Beep, I checked that switch too.

Screw Lowes. Buy another one and return the defective unit on the new receipt. Assuming that you eliminate anything on your end that is incorrect and it actually is a faulty unit.

When did this become an electrician's thread ... take it somewhere else guys, we're trying to troubleshoot a welder here not a local power grid !!!

Yes, I have hit the trigger. It's the only way to get wire out. After a few attempts, I stopped feeding wire.

Well personally I'd be pulling covers off looking at the guts to see if there were any wires dangling loose. At that price point its not an inverter machine so it will have mechanical **** in it and its possible there is a wire off the contactor or something like that. Or just take the damn thing back.

Sorry for the derail.

As for the welder, I'd take it back. If the store doesn't want to play ball, escalate the gripe beyond the store manager. You bought it brand new, not at a garage sale.

Sounds like you've done the basic troubleshooting. Time for a return one way or another.

I've called the store and they told me it's after 30 days so they can't help but I've worked retail, I know better. I got it in October and it's just been sitting in the box at the shop. I'm going to box it up tonight and stop by after work tomorrow. It's just odd that it happened twice so I figured I had to have missed something.

I've called the store and they told me it's after 30 days so they can't help but I've worked retail, I know better. I got it in October and it's just been sitting in the box at the shop. I'm going to box it up tonight and stop by after work tomorrow. It's just odd that it happened twice so I figured I had to have missed something.
Like I said earlier, just buy a new one and use the new receipt to return the defective welder. Way easier than arguing with "managers" who can say no if they're pissed off cause they had a fight with their girlfriend.

Well there IS warranty I presume !! Find an authorized repair center and take it in.

You have to understand the store's point ... you buy a power tool, complete your project then return it for full refund. I don't think so !!

Well there IS warranty I presume !! Find an authorized repair center and take it in.

You have to understand the store's point ... you buy a power tool, complete your project then return it for full refund. I don't think so !!
That's not the case here at all. He is not using it and returning it for a refund. He is buying another unit to replace a defective unit that he never used. Lowes will lose nothing, they will claim it defective with Lincoln. Why should the OP have to hassle with taking it to a repair center and waiting for it to be repaired? Bad enough that it didn't work right out of the box and he has to take it back to Lowes.

If he had returned it within 30 days - no problem. But he didn't - so now he owns the problem.

He is not using it and returning it for a refund. He is buying another unit to replace a defective unit that he never used.

This makes no sense ... If he's not using it and returning it for a refund, why did he wait so long would be the first question.
If he's not using it, why is he buying another would be the second question.
If he never used it, how does he know its defective would be the third question.
Since its past 30 days, the warranty route would be the final statement.

Why should the OP have to hassle with taking it to a repair center and waiting for it to be repaired?

Because he waited to ******* long, that's why !

I know it's over the time limit, but Lowe's wants you happy and satisfied. I read 90 days for return, but I may missed some fine print.
https://www.lowes.com/cd_Returns+and+Refunds+Policy_33243642_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back