• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

welding tips/advice

it is now..... thank you for taking the time to send me that.

Sounds like it might have taken a minute to download the video to the computer before it could show the PLAY button arrow . . .

Filling in those holes it’s a good practice to start outside the hole and bring the puddle in. At least that’s what I’ve been told, I’m no pro.

Which weld thru primer are you using? I used the UPol #2 it worked just fine. Since you are new the thing you need to make sure of is that you are getting good penetration into the crockers and supports. Sometimes you can weld the hole up nice and neat but not have any bonding to the substrate especially if you have your wire speed set to fast.
I suggest getting two pieces of scrap and practice. You can check by looking at the backside of the metal you are welding to or take a cold chisel and try to split them.

I use this everywhere I weld...... if you wait for it to dry, its awesome

the aerosol cans are very pricey, a quart of this lasts long time Joe

81GM4GWuPsL._SX342_.jpg

I weld everything clean then paint overtop long after the welds have been done cooling down, then seam sealer then your final coat of paint, seems like overkill but I've had projects sit outside year round and have yet to see a spec of rust ;) The good stuff is POR-15

mike 67... thats exactly what i did. i drilled some holes in some scraps and practiced. i can tell its penetrating when i look under the piece, im using SEM weld primer. i think all my issues started when i used the primer on 2 clean practice piece, like i said, my welds looked pretty good with the pieces that had zero primer on them. Ill have my daughter post pics of the finished floor once im done .

Let me start by saying that i just bought my first welder and i have no experience except the practicing that ive been doing with it. My GTX needed a new floor so i removed the rotted floor and replaced with a new AMD full floor.... so far so good, i prepped the new floor by drilling holes and sanding away the black coating and applied SEM weld thru primer on clean steel surfaces, so im all ready to weld up the spot weld holes..... so heres my question... when i practice welding on clean scrap metal my plug welds are pretty good... i then added weld thru primer and my plug welds are the ugliest welds with splatter and burn thru. Why is this happening, all things equal except useing the primer. I dont want to try welding my new floor till i figure this out. My welder is a Millermatic 140 with gas. Thanks for a great site....
is this a mig welder? assuming it is you do not need argon, CO-2 works great and much cheaper, again if this is a mig welder- it does not like to weld on anything but clean metal ,no primer at all. if you want to make sure no rust after the weld use rust mort.on the metal then POR-15. rust mort comes in two different approaches one is a semi clear liquid that works great to remove rust, the other rust mort gets same results and produces a black finish when it dries and requires no painting to cover, but can be painted over. mig welder- clean metal only.

No offense to anyone, but I wouldn’t put POR-15 on a lawnmower.

As for the welding technique; I’ve never used a weld through primer. Clean metal and start on the outside and work to the center.

No offense to anyone, but I wouldn’t put POR-15 on a lawnmower.

As for the welding technique; I’ve never used a weld through primer. Clean metal and start on the outside and work to the center.
I agree with you on the POR-15, covering an issue is not repairing it . the pre prep to uses it is not worth the effort.

just bought a welder myself. have been wanting to learn how to TIG for a long time. so no time like the present. ended up buying a synchrowave 210 from miller

just bought a welder myself. have been wanting to learn how to TIG for a long time. so no time like the present. ended up buying a synchrowave 210 from miller
I have a Miller 35 Mig welder -got it in 1978 still going strong,I'd like to learn to tig weld especially aluminum, good welding is an art form. there are good tutorials on you tube,but nothing beats doing it. good luck,

mike 67... thats exactly what i did. i drilled some holes in some scraps and practiced. i can tell its penetrating when i look under the piece, im using SEM weld primer. i think all my issues started when i used the primer on 2 clean practice piece, like i said, my welds looked pretty good with the pieces that had zero primer on them. Ill have my daughter post pics of the finished floor once im done .
Make sure you have your gun @ >45deg or you shield will blow away, that also means no fans blowing across your work

p o r 13
a v u
I e s
n r t
t

Auto Transport Service
Back