• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s a Belvedere?

In the early Fifties the Belvedere was the hardtop. I know where there's a '51 or '52 sitting in a junk yard and the shop around the corner from my warehouse in Philly has a '51 or '52 with a 360 in it!

In the 50's, Plymouth named their cars after New York Hotels: Belvedere, Savoy, Plaza. (except Fury)

Dodge named their cars after Royalty: Royal & Coronet, either could be a Lancer (Lancer meant hardtop roof, both 2 and 4 door).
In the 50’s we had other names for our Canadian built cars. Mayflower, Cranbrook etc.

69207353_10216492976294760_3450190371823288320_o (2).jpg

Apparently was a band from the 50s too. Saw this today in a 50s style diner and took a picture……

A6EF931E-44FD-46AF-BA74-5DC9D99D1C45.jpeg

The LA series engine was not the choice for the B body performance platform.
The 273 and 318 2 barrel engines powered most of the B bodies but they were the family cars, fleet, taxi and municipal cars. For performance, they used the B/RB engine family. The 340 was the star of the LA family and better suited in the smaller A body cars for a reason.
Many performance B body cars needed more torque (Than you'd get from a 340) due to their increased weight over an A body.
The 340 wasn't available in a B body until what....1971? Even then, the cars were underpowered compared to the 383 4 barrel.
Yeah, but it’s my dream not yours KD! And more of a dream I’m making it happen. And when I’m done with my 340 it’ll have more torque and horsepower then it does now

I'm not against improving what you have. Dodge and Plymouth used the 340 on the E body platform, cars that in some instances weighed more than some B body cars.
It can be done but you're starting out at a disadvantage with a smaller cube engine.
That isn't meant to be an insult. It is the way the factory did it. It was easier to build power with more cubic inches.
I had a friend that chose to build a stroked 340 for his 71 Challenger even after I offered a free 440 for him to build. He had that engine apart 3 or more times during the time that I knew him. I understand the desire to be different but common sense should factor in as well.

I'm not against improving what you have. Dodge and Plymouth used the 340 on the E body platform, cars that in some instances weighed more than some B body cars.
It can be done but you're starting out at a disadvantage with a smaller cube engine.
That isn't meant to be an insult. It is the way the factory did it. It was easier to build power with more cubic inches.
I had a friend that chose to build a stroked 340 for his 71 Challenger even after I offered a free 440 for him to build. He had that engine apart 3 or more times during the time that I knew him. I understand the desire to be different but common sense should factor in as well.
KD it’s not about common sense or what’s easiest. It’s about wanting to do something. Last engine I built had over 650HP 496 ci. That was in a Corvette. THAT wasn’t easy or fun to get there. My 70 Belvedere came with a small block drivetrain and I was tired of big blocks. So here I am partly going with the flow and partly creating something I want. If I wanted fast I would buy a new Supercharged car and be done with it. But there ain’t no fun in that is there…..

BELVIDERE ILL is home to a old PLYMOUTH plant that was making JEEPS when the new owners idled it ?

BELVIDERE ILL is home to a old PLYMOUTH plant that was making JEEPS when the new owners idled it ?
On December 9, 2022, Stellantis announced that Belvidere Assembly would be placed into an "indefinite closure" effective February 28, 2023.[8][9] The Belvidere site was a point of contention in 2023 United Auto Workers strike, with the United Auto Workers and Stellantis negotiating a future use for the site.[10] The resulting contract, announced on October 28, 2023, includes the reopening of the plant in early 2025,[11] reportedly to assemble a new mid-size Ram pickup truck.[12] A planned expansion would also add an electric vehicle battery plant, creating 1,100 new jobs at the facility.[13]

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back Stelantis. 1100 new jobs is good. How many people did you kick to the curb when you closed the plant? Get your **** together and keep producing product.

A mid sized truck? They had a good one and dropped it. Most of the import companies are making one. GM never stopped. :BangHead: :rofl:

Last edited:
That sounds funny to me. The reason is I have restored several Chevrolets 73 Z28 Camaro and a 71 Corvette. Both totally different. Having unique designs for their time. From four wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, fiber optic light monitoring, fiberglass body, curved body lines, close ratio shifters and steering, hidden headlights , hidden wipers, telescopic antenna…..
The GTX was the same as all the other bbodies. I have a 70 Sport Satellite which is almost Identical to the GTX. I have taken every piece of trim off the car. Imo it’s cheesy and cheap. Mopar wanted to platform cars before anyone else. They wanted to build cheap. They succeeded!
Don’t get me wrong I love them but you have to look at the whole picture when looking at these cars. The GTX was just like any other bbody but with some cheap *** tape in the doors and dash and a few chrome pieces…. Just my observation.

That sounds funny to me. The reason is I have restored several Chevrolets 73 Z28 Camaro and a 71 Corvette. Both totally different. Having unique designs for their time. From four wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, fiber optic light monitoring, fiberglass body, curved body lines, close ratio shifters and steering, hidden headlights , hidden wipers, telescopic antenna…..
The GTX was the same as all the other bbodies. I have a 70 Sport Satellite which is almost Identical to the GTX. I have taken every piece of trim off the car. Imo it’s cheesy and cheap. Mopar wanted to platform cars before anyone else. They wanted to build cheap. They succeeded!
Don’t get me wrong I love them but you have to look at the whole picture when looking at these cars. The GTX was just like any other bbody but with some cheap *** tape in the doors and dash and a few chrome pieces…. Just my observation.
In 1978 a friend really wanted a Corvette. He had a 71 Charger that a fellow I worked with bought. Graham bought the Anniversary Edition Corvette. Went to visit family 300 miles away for Christmas. It was right around -30F for a few days. He couldn’t believe how rough the car rode and cold it was. Didn’t handle well on snowy roads. Didn’t drive it much and as he said dumped it in 1980.

Didn’t handle well on snowy roads.
Had a vette for a while, finding a decent deal on a nice one. Just something about an itch to have one after having a GTO and Cuda, I know what were you thinking? Wasn’t anything special. Impractical as a daily driver, as it was for a while. Had a spot in the winter for parking it in a friend’s barn. On a couple of occasions got caught in bad weather, one was on the way to go park it. Early snow storm, snow covered roads. Felt as if a boat would have handled better or as if I was driving one. When our 1st kid arrived, that was it, sold it and used the money to do my first car restoration…a four or five passenger vert having a trunk.

In 1978 a friend really wanted a Corvette. He had a 71 Charger that a fellow I worked with bought. Graham bought the Anniversary Edition Corvette. Went to visit family 300 miles away for Christmas. It was right around -30F for a few days. He couldn’t believe how rough the car rode and cold it was. Didn’t handle well on snowy roads. Didn’t drive it much and as he said dumped it in 1980.
I had an 82 vet...rode like a buckboard until about 80 mph then it smoothed out ....I DON'T miss it

Auto Transport Service
Back