• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the best company to buy a new turn signal switch?

SIX TO GO

Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
I need to replace my turn signal switch and have been through lots of different threads reading about the horror stories of getting bad switches and or wiring harnesses.
What is the best company to buy a new turn signal switch from?
I have a 1966 Dodge Coronet, it has an automatic with console.
Does anyone know if they come with instructions? I have a general idea on how to replace the turn signal switch in the steering column but would prefer it come with instructions.
Thanks!

I need to replace my turn signal switch and have been through lots of different threads reading about the horror stories of getting bad switches and or wiring harnesses.
Does anyone know if they come with instructions? I have a general idea on how to replace the turn signal switch in the steering column but would prefer it come with instructions.
Thanks!
I have a 66 Charger. Just replaced my turn signal switch. I'm pretty sure I got it from Classic. But I'll double check. It's been a couple months now and it's working great actually everything works great. As you know so much of the wiring goes through that switch. Nice to have brake lights again :) if you have any questions I'm happy to help. In the meantime let me double check where I got it... But I'm 90% sure I got it from classic.

Instructions I doubt. I bought my last from OCPNW Old car parts north west.
The are very good I will buy from them again. Wherever you buy make sure that the horn contact has the brass roller.
The pin type need lube often as the start to squeal when turning. Drove me nuts.

Okay.. I can confirm I got it from classic industries part number MD2138.

No, they do not come with instructions. At least mine didn't.

I did end up buying a steering wheel puller... I got a basic one off of Amazon. But once you pull the horn off remove the steering wheel and then there's a plate, that's pretty much it. The switch has got three little screws and you pull out. The tricky bit is the plug at the other end of the wire harness from the switch. My recommendation is tie a rope or another wire to the base of the existing switches harness so when you pull it through you have something to pull the new switch harness back down the steering column. Sounds like a lot of work but honestly it's not.

All the above…. I remember a little sideways pull on steering wheel & brace legs and just yank it off. ( in my younger years). Couldn’t do it now!!!

I bought mine on EBay and had some trouble because the horn contact roller was falling short of connecting with the contact ring in the wheel hub. I fixed that at the time by putting a gasket spacer under the switch. In hindsight, I think I failed to slide the column and hub back up tight against the steering wheel hub before tightening the column bolts again. (Self confession is good for the soul :rolleyes:). Works fine now. But - I had to tie a string to each wire lead and pull each wire one at a time down the column to get the terminals through. I couldn’t even get two leads tied to a string through. I pulled one wire in when I removed the old switch and ied 6 or 7 strings to it and pulled it through and the tied a string to each switch lead.

Ive heard enough horror stories about the repop switches.
I ponied up and bought an nos one for a spare, Yea,,,that hurt the piggy bank

Exactly. This site has horror stories about getting bad parts - especially when it comes to electrical goods.
Where did you get an NOS switch?
Same guy i bought the car from.

He has a warehouse of NOS parts.

Car had an nos one installed when car was done approx 2004.

But ...i wanted a spare . And as long as I have spares.....ill never need it.

I would love to reach out to him.
Can you DM me his contact info?
Let me talk to him and make sure its ok I give out the number.

I'll call him this weekend

ps, what are you looking for . I can probably tell you if he has it

pm me if preferred

I can confirm I got it from classic industries part number MD2138.
That’s a great lead on the part number. I just reviewed several places using MD2138 and they actually use the same photo so my guess is that it’s all the same supplier.
OER MD2138 OER Turn Signal Switches | Summit Racing
MD2138 - 1963-66 Mopar A/B-Body; Turn Signal Switch; without Tilt; 7 Wire Switch
OER MD2138: 1963-66 Mopar A/B-Body Tu - JEGS High Performance
1963-66 Mopar A & B-Body Turn Signal Switch w/o Tilt 7 Wire Switch | eBay
OER® MD2138 - Turn Signal Switch
Etc,
Thanks!

I should have also mentioned that I bought a turn signal switch from Daniel for my '64 Belvedere and a wiring harness to convert my '01 Ram to sport headlights. Both are high quality products. He knows his stuff. He's Slantsixdan on FBBO.

Thanks!

Rock Auto thats the one for my '67, works flawlessly, SHEE-MAR brand, made in the USA since 1970.

I bought NOS switches for all my cars as well as spares on ebay. Very costly, but they work. Some guys have reported good luck with Shee-Mar and OER, but not me. I have used Dan Stearns switches before and would recommend them before any others after a NOS.

Just as a follow up to this thread from last month, I went with Daniel Stern ([email protected]) and got a great product. It’s built exactly like the “original switch?” and has been working beautifully.
7725AC48-4019-446B-835C-098A47D1654F.jpeg
4F56853D-D6EF-48EC-9172-379902DC122B.jpeg
B3458D26-B81C-4771-B627-E14955639868.jpeg

Yep, Dan sells some good switches. The only thing I don't like about them is that his for 1969 cars don't have the lane changing feature like originals did. Your original 66 didn't have that, so will work exactly like it should.

Auto Transport Service
Back