• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What 1986 318 Intake to buy?

junkyard junky

Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Finally getting back on my 65 coronet. Put a running 318 from a 1986 Diplomat in there. Looking to upgrade to 4 barrel intake. What new aftermarket intake and carb would you all suggest? Looking to get the car up and running soon due to work ramping back up. Thanks!!!!

Whoa, whoa... slow down soldier... let's get some more info. You got a stock 86 318 ? "a running 318" ... "Up and running" ? ....

Bought the 86 diplomat running and driving. The car had some rust along with other issues. Pulled the engine and put it in my 65 coronet. Bolted in but that is about it right now. Using the stock 65 coroner automatic transmission.

Do you have a non-lean burn distributor?

Just install you a Edelbrock performer or something the equal. A nice 600 cfm carb would fit the bill on top.

Just install you a Edelbrock performer or something the equal. A nice 600 cfm carb would fit the bill on top.
Or a old Edelbrock LD4B if you can find one.

ld4b linkage.jpg

I bought a new distributor to get rid of the lean burn one. Does the learn burn affect the carburetor too? I can't remember. Kind of forgot a lot of info on the lean burn. My coronet got put on the back burner for a little bit.

yes

Are you buying new?

I agree on an Edelbrock 500/600 CFM carb.

IIRC the matching Performer 318/360 can be used with your AC comp and brackets.
Not sure about the other somewhat less common SB "318 port" intakes.

Both items can usually be found used on the FxBO network.

Mopar Action has a detailed article on your swap, look it up for all the details. Have fun !

There's also the air pump and associated steel lines.

...and those pesky air injection ports under the exhaust manifolds if yo're not planning to use those manifolds.

I'm looking for that article on the swap. Don't mind buying a new intake and carb

I have the stock manifolds from the donor car. The car has an oil filter adapter which puts the filter at a different angle than what it was on the stock 65 poly 318. Going to look into headers for the 65 with a mid 80's 318.

delete398.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back