• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What 727 will swap in?

ssok

Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
I believe my Road Runner needs a transmission.

1973 400 with 727

What junkyard options do I have? Are there any later model trucks that I can look for a bolt in transmission?

Just as a comment, I would recommend to have your 727 rebuilt by a reputable shop. Do it and get a warranty as well. My past dealings with "junkyard" parts have bit me in the *** more than I would like to admit. "It only costs a nickel more to go first class". My $.02

Well if your after a junkyard 727... Good luck. Seeing that it was behind a big block, you'll need a 727 with the big block bellhousing. Small block will not work. Would recommend going rebuild route, or if you feel like giving it a shot... Rebuild it yourself, alot of info out there plus many many smart members on here that I'm sure wouldn't mind if you picked their brains a bit.

same as above. if you have the original trans especially. But stick with pre 73 if you have to. The cast crank torques converter Issue is there after that..

I think the days of finding a good 727 in a junkyard are long gone. There are a LOT of low-mile 727s that came out of motorhomes here in Florida, but they need the backends swapped. I would start looking on craigslist for a failed project one, i.e., someone had theirs rebuilt for a project that fell through and now they don't need it anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back