• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am I missing

prplcar

Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
My car was running on Tuesday, now cranks but won't start. I have power all the way to the plug, all grounds are clean and tight. Could the plug be fouled? Tank and fuel lines were drained when stored, fresh premium was put in tank. Thanks for your input.

Not helpful on point, but a better post title might get you more views. i.e. Engine won't start (440 in a 64 440)??? or simular

Last edited:
If you have fire at the plugs, give it a quick squirt of starting fluid, then hit the starter and if it fires off on that, you'll know the problem is fuel related. And do you want me to change the thread title for ya?

Also thinking what Cranky was. Maybe a possible plugged fuel filter.

This happened recently to my car as well. For me, the problem was that the wire between the ignition switch and firewall had shorted out. Easy fix.

Sure, Cranky change the title, thanks. Fuel filter is new, no problem there car was working fine after I changed it. Still getting fuel.

- - - Updated - - -

This happened recently to my car as well. For me, the problem was that the wire between the ignition switch and firewall had shorted out. Easy fix.

Thanks, I will check that out. All I have is 12 gauge wire is that okay?

Last edited:
Let us know if that's the fix.

No sign of a burnt wire but my horn quit working and my turn signals flash like 4 way hazard lights. In a snow storm now so will have to put it off for a bit.

Oh no, sorry about that. Old cars and the wiring...always a nightmare. I truly believe your problem is in the wiring but I don't know what else to suggest.

Sounds like the issue has shown itself with a few other problems besides not firing. While it's not impossible to have multiple things go bad at once, especially if wires are burnt, the odds are a little better that there is one point causing everything. Sometimes it's easiest to start with the simplest, least complicated issue first. that might lead you to that one point. Try looking at the horn circuit first. The violet wire should have power at all times to the horn relay, ground comes from the horn button and dark green feeds the horns. Just a thought.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1962/62PlymouthV8.JPG

Horn and dash lights have been resolved, car still won't start. Seems like it is not getting enough power to light off.

OK, good on the lights & horn. Now, what ignition are you running (distributor, coil, box etc.)? What tests have you done so far?

Mopar performance distributor, orange box, Accel super coil, MSD wires, and Champion plugs RC12YC

You previously mentioned you had power "all the way to the plug" and you were "still getting fuel". What tests did you do to determine those things? I like Cranky's idea of a little starting fluid. Get the kind with added lubricant, pure ether can wash out cylinders. It works best if you can turn the car over and spray at the same time. Be careful. Got to find a starting point as to ignition or fuel.

I used a test light, multi meter, and spark plug tester. Test light gets dimmer as I move along, when engine is cranked the light on plug tester is orange instead of bright white. I have a electrician buddy coming to do some tests before I try starting fluid.

Try using WD-40 instead of starting fluid. Won't cause any catastrophic failures, but will start car.

Auto Transport Service
Back