• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the differences between the 68 and 69 Superbee?

Looks like a pretty solid start there.
One highly valuable intangible IMO.....it hasn’t been molested to death. That is a huge plus when doing the tear down and assessment for documenting the particulars for restoration.
Most of these cars are on their second, third or more “fix up” and lots of important details get lost forever.

Looks like a pretty solid start there.
One highly valuable intangible IMO.....it hasn’t been molested to death. That is a huge plus when doing the tear down and assessment for documenting the particulars for restoration.
Most of these cars are on their second, third or more “fix up” and lots of important details get lost forever.
Yeah, this is a one owner car owned by a friend of a friend, and they have known each other for 40+ years. The car was bought new from a dealership where he was working with military pay saved up while he was in Vietnam. He told me that he actually backed this car off of the new car carrier when it arrived. I think he swapped rear end gears and installed headers for racing way back in the day and also added the Cragars, but beyond that, it is almost like a time capsule. The car was stolen way back, and recovered and he just realized the fender tag was gone when I asked him to get a picture of it, and he assumes it was lost when the car was stolen. Apparently a little body work had to be done after recovery, so he chose to paint it a Corvette silver because there was some sparkle in it. To me, all those pics look pretty good. I offered $18k and I am waiting to hear back. I know some folks were thinking more like $10k, but have the pictures changed any minds???

I will agree that 18 would be well bought.

Last edited:
I think 18 is strong money for the car, but it is a complete and fairly solid example.

I think 18 is strong money for the car, but it is a complete and fairly solid example.
Thanks vintage chromoly. The main reason I am willing to pay what I offered has to do with what you mentioned above about the intangibles. I really like that I have a friend who is a friend of the owner, and I actually met the owner many years ago before I even knew about the Superbee when I stopped by the shop where my buddy Larry worked. I like the story of the car and I like the history of the car, and I would like to be the one to own it and put it back on the road while I still have time to enjoy it. Did I mention that this car has approximately 55k original miles? The ODO shows 63k, but that is due to running tall gears for some time without changing the speedo gear. Guys, I really appreciate your comments and feedback. Please feel free to keep the conversation going. My buddy Larry is going to try and get some pics after the car is washed. If he can do that, I will post them here! I will let you all know if I am able to buy the car.....I sure hope so!!!

Good luck Bart - I hope you get what you want! Super bees are great classics. One of my favorites.

I would pay the extra for an unmolested original that is complete even if things are a bit weathered. What you see is what you get. Nothing hiding.

The money is a little steep but what a cool color combo and some backyard bonehead hasnt hacked it up and hotrodded the hell out of it. It isnt all tore apart and in boxes and totes ( my 69 came that way but the price was way below this one)

If you have your heart set on a Superbee and are not overly concerned about "market value" or "resale value" this is a pretty decent start. Not the deal of a lifetime but you dont find a 68 Bee every day. Good luck. I like it.

Take a minute and think of what you'd spend to restore a car that needed quarter panels, frame rails, doors, etc. I've bought several cars that were stripped out parts cars and the time and effort you spend looking for the numerous missing parts can really add up. Getting a solid and complete car puts you WAY ahead of the guy that gets a shell of a car for $3500 that needs everything. Some people like to hunt for the missing stuff as if it is a treasure hunt or something. Sometimes I do too but at the same time, it would be nice to get a weathered car that just needs a few things you can get from catalogs !

Take a minute and think of what you'd spend to restore a car that needed quarter panels, frame rails, doors, etc. I've bought several cars that were stripped out parts cars and the time and effort you spend looking for the numerous missing parts can really add up. Getting a solid and complete car puts you WAY ahead of the guy that gets a shell of a car for $3500 that needs everything. Some people like to hunt for the missing stuff as if it is a treasure hunt or something. Sometimes I do too but at the same time, it would be nice to get a weathered car that just needs a few things you can get from catalogs !
And that treasure hunting will just continue to get tougher to find what you need.

That instrument panel is beautiful for being half a century old! It clearly hasn't been washed by many UV rays.
The owner
That instrument panel is beautiful for being half a century old! It clearly hasn't been washed by many UV rays.
The owner has always kept the car covered. It used to be in his garage, then he moved it to this carport you see in the pictures. The carport is deep, so it does not get rain on it, but it is open on one end and there are cats that probably have been laying on it, but not inside it. As you all saw, the interior looks pretty damn good for 50 years old!

I would pay the extra for an unmolested original that is complete even if things are a bit weathered. What you see is what you get. Nothing hiding.

The money is a little steep but what a cool color combo and some backyard bonehead hasnt hacked it up and hotrodded the hell out of it. It isnt all tore apart and in boxes and totes ( my 69 came that way but the price was way below this one)

If you have your heart set on a Superbee and are not overly concerned about "market value" or "resale value" this is a pretty decent start. Not the deal of a lifetime but you dont find a 68 Bee every day. Good luck. I like it.
Yeah, as Superbees go, I know this is not a big dollar car. It is an automatic on the column, not a lot of options, etc. But this works for me because I am no longer at the point in life where I want to bang gears and race all the time. I am more in to just driving the car, not tearing it up, and just enjoying a car that brings back memories of my youth. My friend Larry who is looking at this car for me in Oregon was a drag racer back in the day. He had a Camaro back then named "Old Reliable" I remember seeing him run at Balboa Raceway (1/8 mi. track) in Eugene, OR when I was in high school in the early 70's (before I knew him). He tells me that this car and Jerry ( the Superbee owner) were running during he same period (Larry and Jerry are the same age). So I may have actually seen the Superbee go down the track back then. Beyond being what I consider a pretty clean one owner car, I have a connection to the car through my buddy Larry and good old Balboa Raceway. For those reasons, I am willing to pay a premium for this car, plus I just want to bring it back to life and get it back on the road. Could I get upside down in the car financially? Absolutely! Would I make up for that by bringing this car back and enjoying it? I think so.

Last edited:
You speak the truth Kern Dog. I know this car will need some work, but it will be engine and suspension work in my opinion and not so much metal and body work. I can do some of the work myself, and I can have some of the other work I can't/don't want to do myself by my buddy Carl or a shop I have found that specializes on classic/muscle cars if Carl does not have time. My plan is to get the car to be a safe and reliable, the drive it with whatever patina it has, at least for a while, and not worry about making it a show car,

I have to share this Superbee story as this thread is about Superbees. I was about 15 at the time, and there was this guy who lived up the street named Mike Purkeson or Purgeson (this was in Eugene, OR). He had a Superbee, not sure of the year. He used to terrorize the neighborhood with that car with burnouts, etc. One day, I was walking up the street, and I hear something loud coming up behind me, and it is Mike and his Superbee. He pulled up and asked if I wanted a ride (which had never happened before), so I said "sure"! I got in and he started moving forward.....no seatbelt, we did not do that back then. He went through a couple of gears and it was pretty cool! He got outside our neighborhood by about a block and pulled up by this church and asked if I would like to do a burnout and I said "yes"! He staged her up and then cut loose! I have no problem telling you all that it scared the **** out of me!!! This was the first time I had been exposed to real power. For a while after he was done, I did not have my wits due to sensory overload, like what the **** just happened to me!!! There was noise and smoke, and shaking, and I was pinned back in the seat. When he finally finished the burnout, he said something about going back to his house to put the car in the garage before the police came. That was one of the most violent and exciting experiences in my life, and I remember it clearly 45 years later.

I hope you get the car!
You’ve made a real offer to the guy, so you’ve got a damn good chance.
I too, would want that particular car due to the history you have with it.

That stitching on the seats was so close together that it was ready to rip when it was new!! Only took 3yrs on my drivers seat,lol.

That stitching on the seats was so close together that it was ready to rip when it was new!! Only took 3yrs on my drivers seat,lol.
Good to know it was a bit of a weak spot! I already checked and a replacement seat cover from Classic Industries is $404.99. A bit of a hit, but it could be worse! I appreciate the real world knowledge oldbee!

Baca upholstery in Tucson might repair that for less than $200

Auto Transport Service
Back