• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can a 440 be bored up to? 572?

RobBob

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
I have been looking at 440 stroker kits and saw a 572.
Can a 440 be bored or resleeved to a 572 and be reliable on the street?
I am concerned about cooling.

None of Chrysler's production big-blocks have the bore spacing to accommodate the 4.5-inch bores necessary

540 is pushing it in a stock block & why would you anyway, if you plan to actually use the HP it's a hand grenade with the pin pulled... The bottom end is typically maxed at 600 HP... Girdles, aluminum main caps... All the bandaids & still your at if not past the ragged edge..

Look for a MP Mega Block.... Or contact Indy...

It's not the bore spacing that is the limit. It depends on how thick the cylinder walls are. Stock bore is 4.320". The way to make them more cubic inch is with stroke. You can make a 527" with the stock bore with a 4.500" crank. All out with thick walls? 4.380" bore/4.750" crank you could conceivably build a 572". I wouldn't recommend it with a stock block.
Doug

It's not the bore spacing that is the limit. It depends on how thick the cylinder walls are. Stock bore is 4.320". The way to make them more cubic inch is with stroke. You can make a 527" with the stock bore with a 4.500" crank. All out with thick walls? 4.380" bore/4.750" crank you could conceivably build a 572". I wouldn't recommend it with a stock block.
Doug

The normal way to build a 572 is 4.5 bore & 4.5 stroke....

we tried some small overbore long stroke motorhome motors
do not live
we do sell brooms and dustpans

It's not "boring out" it's increasing the stroke that gets you cubic inches. Never bore more than absolutely necessary in order to get straight, round bores! A nice thick wall promotes ring seal and makes horsepower.

For street use I would recommend a 4.25 stroke. It drops in, clears the oil pump pickup and bottom of the bores and gives great performance without any negatives. A 505" (with .030 overbore) shortblock and a decent head will get you more torque than you can possibly use on the street!

The normal way to build a 572 is 4.5 bore & 4.5 stroke....
True, but not the only way. Just like a 540. 4.375 bore/4.5 stroke or 4.5 bore/4.25 stroke. Like stated earlier the bore can only be as large as the cylinder wall will allow. Longer stroke cranks with a little work will fit a stock block.
Doug

The largest operating bore 440 stock block 440 I’ve ever personally seen was .080 over having a 4.400 bore. That’s 547.39 cubes with a 4.500 crank.

the bbc chevy aluminum canam size
so rings available .080 over 440 .060 over 400
got to have rings on hand
4.375 was popular
rings are available for 460 ford oversizes only .040 over
way back when we tried these max bores
too many cracked or daylighted cylinder walls
not worth it

Auto Transport Service
Back